Sponsored

n00b question about line lock

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
Even though I've been aching to try this feature, as a cheap@ss who doesn't want to waste precious tire life (and who only does HPDEs, not drag races), I'm planning on holding off until my rear tires are in need of replacement... which probably won't be too long now. My question with that, though, is how safe will it be? I know a burnout can only be done for so long before you blowout your tire, and I'm sure that time/distance limit will be even less for balding tires. Is there anything I should be aware of when I do this? Any warning signs that I should stop? Or should I just be cautious and not do it for more than like 5-6 seconds (at least at a time)?

... Or am I overthinking it?
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I think the line lock will let you do 15 seconds at a time which is pretty long for a burnout.

OP
OP
RocketGuy3

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think the line lock will let you do 15 seconds at a time which is pretty long for a burnout.
Yeah, I'm guessing balding tires wouldn't survive that full duration.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Yeah, I'm guessing balding tires wouldn't survive that full duration.
I wouldn't do too much burn out on bald tires because if the rubber starts to separate from the belt, it's gonna cause some serious damage to your car.
[ame]

OP
OP
RocketGuy3

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wouldn't do too much burn out on bald tires because if the rubber starts to separate from the belt, it's gonna cause some serious damage to your car.
Yeah, that's exactly what I'm trying to avoid... I should be able to get in at least a few seconds, though, right? I don't actually mean bald tires, but tires whose tread depth is at the point that they require replacement.

slythetove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
... Or am I overthinking it?
You're overthinking it on the front side. Just go try the feature out with a nice 7 to 10 second burn out and don't wait until tires are shot. You aren't going to lose that much tire. It's a sweet feature for little fun. :headbang:
Sponsored