Sponsored

Mysterious Passenger Wire Under glovebox, split wire + fuse? Any ideas?

novagrk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emmanuel
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium, PP
Hello!

I am a new proud owner of a 2017 Mustang GT premium + PP in Lighting Blue! I am a gear head and car enthusiast and have been after this car for many many years! I finally decided to pick up a one owner car with 7500 miles at the time of purchase!

It's not my daily driver, but I have been driving it recently since my DD is in my garage for some much need maintenace and repairs. With the weather changing, I have been using my AC from to time. Since the AC has been on, I noticed a little light blue wire dangling from under the passenger glove box.

I took off the plastic panels and did some investigation. It appears as though someone has previously been fiddling with my car! I have no idea what the previous owner has done - which is the reason why I'm posting this to gather up some ideas.

Looks as though they have spliced into the Green/Purple wire, and added an 18/20 gauge small wire with its own dedicated fuse. The other end of the wire appears to have been snipped and probably tucked under the dash.

I got the car from Carmax, and the car is originally from Illinois. I live in Virginia. I'm 99% positive CarMax wouldn't have a clue if I asked them, and I honestly don't want anyone touching my car. They don't know anything about cars anyway. They "cleaned my car" with foaming glass cleaner when I finished the paperwork and bought the car.....

I told my mustang friend, who thinks that the previous owner must have had a radar detector hidden under the glovebox. Maybe they were stealing power for the radar unit from the Green/Purple cable? That said, I did not see a ground wire anywhere to indicate that they also grounded the device somewhere.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This easter egg made me really mad - especially from a car with only 7500 original miles. I don't like anyone touching my stuff. I understand it's a used car.

I've attached a pic. I'm trying to figure out what this wire goes to and whether or not it is from the factory. My guess is it's not, but I want to ask you guys to get your feedback.

I plan on removing the solder from the wire and adding some heatshrink tube over it. I hope they didn't cut through the green/purple wire and just removed the shielding to bridge the connection. If that's the case, I will just use some electric tape and remove the addition.

Thanks for any help! (Check out the pic attached.)

Emmanuel
IMG_4599.JPEG
Sponsored

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
Assuming that's connector c215 in the passenger side kick panel. That purple/green wire is a fuel pump wire power wire. Might have had a fuel system in its previous life.

OP
OP
novagrk

novagrk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emmanuel
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium, PP
Assuming that's connector c215 in the passenger side kick panel. That purple/green wire is a fuel pump wire power wire. Might have had a fuel system in its previous life.
Hi thanks for your reply!
The engine bay appears to be unmolested and totally stock.
One of the reasons why I bought the car.

According to some quick google searching yesterday I found an article on S550 tail light wiring that references USDM vs export wiring modules. In the article it states for USDM cars the Green/Purple wire refers to "Night time dim triple Red"

Now, given my car is a premium it does come with ambient lighting. So it makes sense for this wire to be located near the dash. Not sure if the source I found was accurate. Just thought I would share what I found. Maybe someone can confirm.

Thanks!
Emmanuel

Edit:

Some more google searching lead me to the following article - which references an Alpine amp install on 2015+ mustangs.... It clearly instructs a similar modification to the passenger fuse cover. I really hope no one took apart my center console! Ugh!!!

https://igate.ecdcom.com/External Links/Alpine 2019/39612.pdf

And another guy here (on this site) that posted about an aftermarket amp....

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/aftermarket-amp-remote-wire-help-needed.104303/

What is with these guys and the need for music.... The engine is all the music I need.

I'm thinking to go outside with a meter to see if that exposed wire is getting 12v when the car is on and some other basic testing to see when it's getting power.

I'll report back with findings. Let me know if anyone has any other basic tests for me.

Thanks!
Emmanuel
Sponsored

Last edited: