Sponsored

MY18: Who wants digital dash (yes or no)

Would you like digital dash in MY18?

• No: Keep cost low and give me analogue

Votes: 15 19.7%
  • Yes: If it does not effect cost too much

Votes: 31 40.8%
  • Yes: If premium for it is under £500

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • Yes: Even if the cost add upto £1000

Votes: 8 10.5%

• Total voters

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Hi there

I am going to make several threads now we know Ford UK is planning their default specification for MY18.

So the first is the digital dash, those who have not seen it, here is a good video of it in action (35s in video):

[ame]

New-Ford-Mustang-12-inch-LCD-digital-instrument-cluster-in-Track-View.jpg

New-Ford-Mustang-12-inch-LCD-digital-instrument-cluster-in-Sport-View.jpg

So please vote on this.
Sponsored

5.0 Probie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT
Ignoring the temporary fun factor, most gauges today are digital or digital hybrids. That said... I need to see it in person to see what can be viewed from my personal seat/steering wheel position.

If they want to impress me, allow me to have a touch screen and move what I want where I want to the size I want...

P.S. Forgive me, I just noticed this is in the UK section, sorry about that =]

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Appears gibbo got his ballot box out for the things he wants in the My18 over my lunch break lol ;)!

I'd pay no more than £500 for this, however given the choice of paying for this, I'm too tight to give a sh1t about paying for something that offers minimal practicality (to me) If it had stuff like nav integration etc etc in it, then I'd be more down for it - really depends how 'usable' it is :).

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks to me like it just going to be digi gauges and that is it. Looks cool but the novelty will quickly wear off I think
But will the stock dash feature a digital speedo, something so basic but oh so annoying about the current dash especially when Ford could of enabled it so easily.

So that would be a start, but in fairness I want the full digital affair, I love it. :)

Sponsored

McDoodle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A grey car
It's a TFT screen and software. On balance, why would it cost any more than analogue anyway? :shrug:

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's a TFT screen and software. On balance, why would it cost any more than analogue anyway? :shrug:
LCD cluster cost more for sure, but in theory the additional should not be huge because its one or the other.

willisit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Monaro, DeLorean, Viva, S5, 600F
If it's first gen, it'll likely be full of holes - but Audi has proven it can work, and well. My wife's next car will be an S3 with that tech and I'm very much looking forward to trying it.

That all said, a HUD would be better - our dials work just fine.

Nookie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 GT
One of the reasons I moved away from VAG vehicles and bought the Mustang was that I was getting sick of all the electronic crap they keep putting on them, and the subsequent reliability on software that it brought.

That dashboard is just too 'busy' to me, and it's just another electronic component (and gimmick) that when it fails, is gonna cost an arm and a leg to fix.

The 'essence' of the Mustang [S550] is that it's a modern take, albeit in a fairly raw form, on an 'old school' classic and iconic car with great heritage, which is why I bought into the whole thing... and if I'd have wanted a laptop with wheels I would have just bought another boring and predictable Audi that does everything for you and takes all the fun out of driving!

Rant over... :headbonk:

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Completely agree. Although the things that are still keeping me loyal to the Mustang are the V8 and stick. Get rid of those and the Mustang becomes an Audi in all but name.

Sponsored

tooley

My Little Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Auto
P.S. Forgive me, I just noticed this is in the UK section, sorry about that =]
No problem, all welcome. You colony chaps are doing jolly well for yourselves these days :D

Chillicat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DS5
No thanks, I can see how much more functionality a digital dash brings but most of this is novelty factor. There's an initial wow factor but I've not yet seen one that really looks great - even latest Merc S class lacked real depth. It's like comparing an apple watch with an Omega. As for costing more, really??

Artill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Manual Guard GT convertible
I will stick with proper dials, but a digital speed readout between them would be perfect

christianUK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Vehicle(s)
GT auto
Proper dials never got burn in, or dead pixels, or needed a reboot. I've no doubt they are the future but I try to avoid the first generation of any new tech. I'm fine with reading dials... and clock faces. I am not seduced by the precision of a digital readout, not yet anyway.
Few years time when it's all integrated and Tesla-like then maybe.

Helios1234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mondeo/Porsche Cayman S
Digital cluster all the way! My 09 Mondeo had it (part digital Convers+) so I never understood why more modern Fords had never progressed much from this.
Sponsored