My Suspension Plan What you Think

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
maybe I'm mis-reading this statement/intent and I've been riding motorcycles for too long but I personally don't give a rat's ass about straight line speed. I want to make up time all thru the corner and 'saunter' (relatively speaking) down the straights. I guess it's the same old fight between guys who ride 2-stroke bikes who zing thru corners vs the liter-bikes that just park it at the apex and make a bunch of 'V' out of what are properly 'U'-shaped paths of travel.
It's not an argument as much as it's just the reality of driving a heavy, front-engined car. You're never going to have the lateral ability of a small, light mid-engine whatever. You've got eight advantages which are arranged in a 'V' formation under the hood. You'll be faster around the track by making the straights as long as you can and squaring off the corners.
Sponsored

OP
OP
bnightstar

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think anyone is saying don't go with the Ohlins. Or that the as-shipped spring set is impossible to drive well. You can of course try the springs and if it works for you great, but there are alternative thoughts on the matter so you may well end up getting different springs and re-valving. Look up your local Ohlins service center and figure out what it'll cost to do a rebuild and see if you convince HotPart to divulge which shim stack Cxx/Ryy they utilize for particular spring sets.
I'm almost sure that I will not need other springs/revalving but this obviously need's testing the thing with the DFV technology of Ohlins is that even valved as is allow for higher spring rates. If I understand it everyone is jumping on the high rate front springs but this are really needed and not that high rate. Will see how it goes once I put them and if I will manage to balance the car to be neutral if I can't I will think of higher rear springs ether way softer rear will help with putting power out of corners which is obviously needed in this car.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
At the end of the day, springs are pretty cheap. Try a couple different rates & see what works best *for you*.

OP
OP
bnightstar

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
At the end of the day, springs are pretty cheap. Try a couple different rates & see what works best *for you*.
exactly and the goal of the post was not to teach me on spring rates from two years of reading I'm dead set on the Ohlins. But to check if there is something else that I'm missing in the list in order to not go through it twice. As I really need to do it right the first time.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I understand wanting to "do it once and forget it" mentality.

Norm and a few others advise is really the correct way to do it. Get your tires first, then change parts to fix any shortcomings you feel when at the limit. You may not need all the parts you listed.

The problem with cookie cutter packages is we all are not the same.

Enjoy your car.

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Concerning your damper choice, I've run Ohlins dampers on several different cars and they've always been a good choice. They have top-notch manufacturing and technical abilities.

OP
OP
bnightstar

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Concerning your damper choice, I've run Ohlins dampers on several different cars and they've always been a good choice. They have top-notch manufacturing and technical abilities.
Exactly my understanding. For the money that this babies cost you can't go wrong. Much better dumper than the KW for example though KW is more recognised brand.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
I'm not sure about the recognized value of the two, but the difference is stark with the advantage going to Ohlins.

mikeD4V

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Planned Mods:

Apex SM-10 19x11 ET26/ET52 with 295/30 Zestino 07R (Medium 240TW)
Consider the same ET52 wheel offset (with extended studs and a spacer) to rotate tires. This is especially helpful if you run different tracks and/or multiple day events. Tires and brakes will be your biggest $ consumables with this car.

OP
OP
bnightstar

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Consider the same ET52 wheel offset (with extended studs and a spacer) to rotate tires. This is especially helpful if you run different tracks and/or multiple day events. Tires and brakes will be your biggest $ consumables with this car.
Yeah I did consider this but rotating tires in a tire shop is like 40$ around here so I prefer not to have spacers and extended studs.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I did consider this but rotating tires in a tire shop is like 40$ around here so I prefer not to have spacers and extended studs.
I don't do decoration on my car, but I've got to admit, I kinda like the look of extended studs. It looks correct.
Sponsored