Sponsored

My review of my AWE Touring catback (5.0)

Gnfanatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT PP, 1986 Buick GN
Hey guys, UPS dropped off this big ass box at my house today. Before I begin I would like to let everyone know I have been in the muscle car scene for a longtime and own a 1986 Buick Grand National and a 1993 Notchback. I have purchased and installed MANY exhausts systems over the years. From Borla to Torque Technologies to my friends Corsa's. I have seen OK systems (Hooker) and some very nice ones (Borla and Corsa). SO, I have never heard AWE before until I joined this forum ( I was never into the import scene). After reading up on many posts and listening to many videos I decided to go for the AWE Touring catback due to the very nice sound it produces. I have been disappointed in what is offered today for the 5.0 due to either being raspy or a wicked drone. I understand everyone has different tastes in sound, my taste is American V8 muscle. Sooo, on to the review......
First things first, AWE knows how to pack an exhaust properly. Not only was the cardboard thick but the entire exhaust components was sealed in a solid foam style packaging. Once everything was laid out I was impressed with what I saw, very nice bends and tig welds. The 4in tips look incredible (I purchased the black ones) and looks like an anodized coating??? Very high quality coating. The clamps are strong as hell, will never have an issue with them. The mufflers and resonators have a very nice polish to them with no marks or blemishes at all. As of right now I am very happy with what I see and cannot wait to install it this Wednesday!! So please stay tuned for an honest in-depth review of exhaust note and fit! To my Long Island boys, if you want to hear this exhaust in person send me a pm!

Some pictures, any questions just ask!
e1.jpg
e2.jpg
e3.jpg
e4.jpg
e5.jpg
e6.jpg
Sponsored

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
You are about 7 days ahead of me...mine is due to be delivered by UPS next Tuesday.

I went for the polished tips, but also chose the touring catback.

khannected

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sohaib
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT
hows the weight of the system compared to corsa? Really looking forward to your review

OP
OP

Gnfanatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
hows the weight of the system compared to corsa? Really looking forward to your review
I never installed a corsa exhaust for a new mustang so I cannot compare. What I can tell is this is a robust, built like a brick shit house exhaust. I will measure the gauge thickness wednesday. They say it weighs 34 lbs but feels heavier?? Maybe I misread.

Sponsored

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
I think it's pretty hard to find a bad sounding catback for a 5.0 you just pick how loud or not loud you want and your favorite tips and I think you're good to go.

Since I've never heard of AWE I just looked up YouTube clips, definitely sounds good!
There are members that have changed exhausts 3+ times trying to find that 'perfect' sound they are looking for. There is a huge selection of aftermarket exhausts for the S550 GT, and they all sound different. So picking an exhaust you LOVE just isn't as easy as picking the volume and favorite tips.

I used to own a Porsche prior to the Mustang, and AWE were well known for putting out high quality systems for the porkers. Great to see them branching into the Ford brand.

I'm really looking forward to testing out this new exhaust and seeing if it really is the cream of the crop. The Corsa exhaust (which is widely regarded as a top contender for the best sounding exhaust on the GT) is going to be a tough one to beat. I am currently running the Corsa Sport catback, and have had it installed on my daily driver for over a year now, so changing to this new AWE catback will be very interesting indeed :)

BGEFan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT
There are members that have changed exhausts 3+ times trying to find that 'perfect' sound they are looking for. There is a huge selection of aftermarket exhausts for the S550 GT, and they all sound different. So picking an exhaust you LOVE just isn't as easy as picking the volume and favorite tips.

I used to own a Porsche prior to the Mustang, and AWE were well known for putting out high quality systems for the porkers. Great to see them branching into the Ford brand.

I'm really looking forward to testing out this new exhaust and seeing if it really is the cream of the crop. The Corsa exhaust (which is widely regarded as a top contender for the best sounding exhaust on the GT) is going to be a tough one to beat. I am currently running the Corsa Sport catback, and have had it installed on my daily driver for over a year now, so changing to this new AWE catback will be very interesting indeed :)
I'm strongly considering the Corsa Sport catback, so I'm interested to hear why you are changing to the AWE system. Now that the Corsa has been on your DD for the past year has the tone changed? Drone? TIA

D.Brown

Save the Manuels
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
15' GT
It's a tip in a box.

All jokes aside, I might take the drive down to Long Island to hear this in person when you get it on!

OP
OP

Gnfanatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think it's pretty hard to find a bad sounding catback for a 5.0 you just pick how loud or not loud you want and your favorite tips and I think you're good to go.

Since I've never heard of AWE I just looked up YouTube clips, definitely sounds good!
Sorry, I have to disgree on this. I have heard some that sounds horrible. Doesnt even sound like a v8. Again, I am very picky on my exhaust note.

Aarron_M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Honda Fit
Did you receive any discounts, or payment for your review? Just wanted to know, not accusing you.

There seems to be a lot of interest in their products for the S550. Look forward to a video.

Sponsored

D.Brown

Save the Manuels
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
15' GT
Did you receive any discounts, or payment for your review? Just wanted to know, not accusing you.

There seems to be a lot of interest in their products for the S550. Look forward to a video.
If you listened to the video that AWE has posted on their site you would understand the interest. Everybody is after an exhaust that keeps the growl and eliminates the rasp.

Josh/AWE

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EcoBoost, GT
G,

Congrats on the Touring Edition, and the kind words as well! Good move on the diamond black tips (they're PVD coated, by the way) they will compliment the ruby red quite well.

I look forward to your impressions after installation :cheers:

OP
OP

Gnfanatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you listened to the video that AWE has posted on their site you would understand the interest. Everybody is after an exhaust that keeps the growl and eliminates the rasp.[/QUOTE

Excellent question. Absolutely not and trust me I have no filter. I did not want to spend 1400 on a catback but I am done searching and guessing. So I shelled out the money and expect perfection.

Josh/AWE

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EcoBoost, GT
K,

Not sure of the weight of their application, but I can share ours vs stock:

Stock GT Cat-back: 71.5 pounds

Touring Edition Cat-back: 54 pounds (without clamps and tips)

Hope that helps! :)

OP
OP

Gnfanatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Josh. What is the coating on the black tips???? Really freakong nice. Juat cant figure it out if it is anodized or high quality paint
Sponsored