Sponsored

My opinions after spending time with rental Camaro SS and Corvette Stingray Convertible.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
The reason the c43 ride is horrible are the run flats and goes with having 19s also. Go to a smaller wheel diameter and ditch the run craps and the ride will improve. Also the interior depends which one you get, the amg seats are quilted while the regular seats are just leather.
I'm looking at used so anywhere from 35k-low 40s. The newer c43 can be loaded with rear power window sunshade too and semi autonomous steering assist and and distance assist. Just option I'd want on a daily driver.
It definitely wasn’t because of the 19s, I have 19s on my GT and many of what I test drove had 19s. On the highway it wasn’t too bad, but on the backroads I went on with it the car was violently jostling to every road imperfection, in sport my fiancé thought her back was going to be injured. The interior on the one I test drove was the top-end available iirc with the quilted leather and whatnot, but the interior of the Audi and Genesis were both a lot better. If I didn’t go with my Mustang, my top two back-ups from what I test drove were the Genesis G70 Sport, closely trailed by the Audi S4 or S5. If you’re dead set on a C43, it wasn’t a bad car, just way too rough for a daily driver imo, you should definitely check out the Genesis which is pricing similarly used (and apparently a tune plus cai drops it into the mid-3s).
Sponsored

Last edited:

Childs Play

But Wait! There's More!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Shitbox
Owned both a 5th gen Zl1 Camaro and 6th gen SS.

Both cars were fun but the 5th gen was a death trap. You basically had to guess when changing lanes. No visibility whatsoever. Was definitely fun to throw around some turns though and was very comfortable for trips and daily driving. Only issue I had was a weld breaking on the exhaust and they replaced it. No issues after that.

The 6th gen SS was great performance/power wise. Massive improvement over 5th gen visibility. Still nowhere near perfect but I could actually look over my shoulder when trying to change lanes to see if I was going to die or not if I attempted to get over. Plus blind spot monitoring helped out as well. I had the manual so I avoided the perpetual hell that was the transmission issues that every single person I knew who owned one, had.

The issues with it were still numerous...

Build quality? What build quality..? Car constantly had issues with rattles and random body panel alignment issues. I've never owned a car where one week the trunk randomly adjusted itself and became impossible to open without pushing down really hard on it first. And then, not kidding, a week later the hood loosened up and rattled until I took that in to have it adjusted.

The end links kept coming loose on the sway bars so every time I'd hit a bump the car would make a popping sound. Finally fixed that with some nordlock washers and loctite. Or so I thought... Turns out the shocks weren't tightened properly as well so that was causing another popping sound. Fun...

There were a few other issues as well. Screen randomly quit working and car would have trouble restarting after running for a while due to the starter getting too hot. Window would constantly fog up due to the defrost vent not closing all the way.

Trips in it were super uncomfortable due to me having a bad back. Lumbar support would have been a game changer. But that could just be me. Car was a blast to drive but it was a weekend car and I was tired of it having issues. I wouldn't buy another 6th gen Camaro after that experience. Maybe the refresh addressed most of it but... Yea we all know how that refreshed SS looks. Hard pass.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

Both cars were fun but the 5th gen was a death trap. You basically had to guess when changing lanes. No visibility whatsoever. Was definitely fun to throw around some turns though and was very comfortable for trips and daily driving. Only issue I had was a weld breaking on the exhaust and they replaced it. No issues after that.

The 6th gen SS was great performance/power wise. Massive improvement over 5th gen visibility. Still nowhere near perfect but I could actually look over my shoulder when trying to change lanes to see if I was going to die or not if I attempted to get over. Plus blind spot monitoring helped out as well. I had the manual so I avoided the perpetual hell that was the transmission issues that every single person I knew who owned one, had.

Build quality? What build quality..? Car constantly had issues with rattles and random body panel alignment issues. I've never owned a car where one week the trunk randomly adjusted itself and became impossible to open without pushing down really hard on it first. And then, not kidding, a week later the hood loosened up and rattled until I took that in to have it adjusted.

The end links kept coming loose on the sway bars so every time I'd hit a bump the car would make a popping sound. Finally fixed that with some nordlock washers and loctite. Or so I thought... Turns out the shocks weren't tightened properly as well so that was causing another popping sound. Fun...

There were a few other issues as well. Screen randomly quit working and car would have trouble restarting after running for a while due to the starter getting too hot. Window would constantly fog up due to the defrost vent not closing all the way.

Trips in it were super uncomfortable due to me having a bad back. Lumbar support would have been a game changer. But that could just be me. Car was a blast to drive but it was a weekend car and I was tired of it having issues. I wouldn't buy another 6th gen Camaro after that experience. Maybe the refresh addressed most of it but... Yea we all know how that refreshed SS looks. Hard pass.
Thanks for posting that. I've been looking at SS 1LEs because they can handle track use out of the box and with Mustangs you have to go all the way to a GT350 to get that ability.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I've been looking at SS 1LEs because they can handle track use out of the box and with Mustangs you have to go all the way to a GT350 to get that ability.
I wouldn't go that far. A GT with $70 in heat wrap, and $2000 in proper suspension and IRS/chassis alignment / fixes and you're damn close. If your GT has the MR shocks (option or PP2) then the price tag comes down a ton. I'm still going to heat-wrap my exhaust around the SS's diff (because why not) despite it already having coolers.

And yes, unlike my GT and EB and GTI, the Camaro has some internal pops and rattles somewhere up front near the dash/glass interface. The HUD forgives all though. :)

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I wouldn't go that far. A GT with $70 in heat wrap, and $2000 in proper suspension and IRS/chassis alignment / fixes and you're damn close. If your GT has the MR shocks (option or PP2) then the price tag comes down a ton. I'm still going to heat-wrap my exhaust around the SS's diff (because why not) despite it already having coolers.

And yes, unlike my GT and EB and GTI, the Camaro has some internal pops and rattles somewhere up front near the dash/glass interface. The HUD forgives all though. :)
If I bought a GT I would mostly be worried about cooling and brakes. I get that the suspension could be stiffer, but I don't see that as such a huge deal. I'm more about having fun on track than having the fastest lap times, but I absolutely can't stand having a car get hot in just a few laps. That's one reason the Z06 has to go. It gets hot so fast on track. I also don't like the LS engine on the road course. It's too dead at high rpms.

I'm not sure whether I want the newer Coyote with direct injection though. I"m not a big fan of DI, which is another reason I'm not sure about a newer Camaro. The Camaro doesn't even have a secondary port injection system to keep the valves clean.

I really like the HUD in my Z06. I agree it's a good feature to have. I bet the newer ones are really nice.

Sponsored

Childs Play

But Wait! There's More!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Shitbox
Thanks for posting that. I've been looking at SS 1LEs because they can handle track use out of the box and with Mustangs you have to go all the way to a GT350 to get that ability.
I honestly may have just had a bad egg. It put a pretty sour taste in my mouth though. Even as a huge fan of the Camaro I have no problem telling people about issues with them. It doesn't help that I bought a Camaro that was used by GM for testing parts and tunes. That probably had quite a bit to do with it. But if I wanted problems though I'd have just bought an old shitbox.

One nice thing about that is I had a bunch of parts on the car that I would have never paid for normally including suspension/exhaust upgrades. Also, I had the GM cold air intake with the upgraded tune before it was available to the public. But I do know I'll never buy a car that was used for R&D again.

I know A LOT of people (every single person I know who owned one) who had issues with the A8 transmission but luckily I had the M6 and the 1LE is manual only so you'd be fine there. One nice thing about the performance models of the Camaro is that GM warranties them even on the track. If you do get one I recommend adding some nordlock washers and loctite to the endlinks.

Either that or just go with a GT350. Can't go wrong with one of those either. :like:

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
Swaybar end link issue was fixed after 2016, I believe. Just hit 9000 miles on my '18 and it's solid, I don't treat it with kids gloves. No rattles, pops, squeaks, screen freezing.. It's not a daily so I don't put a ton of miles on it, but when I do drive it gets put through its paces.

As for DI and valve issues, just put a catch can on it.

Childs Play

But Wait! There's More!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Shitbox
Swaybar end link issue was fixed after 2016, I believe. Just hit 9000 miles on my '18 and it's solid, I don't treat it with kids gloves. No rattles, pops, squeaks, screen freezing.. It's not a daily so I don't put a ton of miles on it, but when I do drive it gets put through its paces.

As for DI and valve issues, just put a catch can on it.
Mine was a 2017, although it was one of the first off the line for that year. I did beat on it pretty heavily considering that's what I bought it for. I've heard a couple people complaining with the 2018 as well. But it's far less than earlier YMs.

Danacblack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Convertible PP1
Thought I would share this with you guys.
I was very surprised that my 2019 A10 GT PP1 would blow the doors off either of these cars. At least it sure felt that way, and I don't think I'm mistaken. Now, maybe it's because my car has an E-85 flex tune and I run it on E-85, but it is far more responsive, pulls harder and longer.
They only sell up to 91 octane in AZ and CA, so it won't compare to running E-85 or even 93 like most of the East Coast.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
They only sell up to 91 octane in AZ and CA, so it won't compare to running E-85 or even 93 like most of the East Coast.
Ahh, but E85 in CA regularly tests at 87-89% EtOH - if you make the switch out here you'll have no shortage of good E85. Even now with the weather getting colder the EtOH %age is staying high.

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT

Interesting perspective to hear. I lurk on C6G alot and I was under the impression that the Camaro had Aston Martin level build quiality.
Sponsored