Sponsored

My opinions after spending time with rental Camaro SS and Corvette Stingray Convertible.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
C7 vette probably felt weird.
GT was legit faster than the Camaro. Even more so with E85.
Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
The GT A10 PP1 traps higher speeds in the 1/4 mile than the Corvette Stingray non vert and the SS. The Corvette 'vert is a tad slower than the coupe. Yes, the A10 GT PP1 is a screamer.

C&D GT A10 PP1: 12.1 @ 120 mph (best magazine run)
C&D Camaro SS: 12.2 @ 118 mph (best run), even the SS A10 ranges from 115 mph (M/T) to 118 mph (C&D).
C&D Stingray coupe (faster than the convertible): 12.2 @ 118 mph (to be fair that is the manual trans, didn't find an auto test and gave up after a couple of minutes)
Check here. They post very realistic times from what I have seen. https://www.zeroto60times.com/vehicle-make/chevrolet-0-60-mph-times/fast-slow-0-60/

My cousin has a 2017 Vette with the A8 transmission and it is much faster than manual... definitely mid 11s. Manual transmission times are pretty worthless.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I test drove a '18 SS last Spring just to see for myself what the issues with the car was. I was out in the car less than 5 minutes and took it back to the dealership.
I did the same thing with the EB and A10. That transmission in 'sport' is an abomination. :)

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Corvette has 460 hp and weighs 3300 lbs. There is no way your A10 GT PP1 is going to blow the doors off that car since the Mustang is likely around 3800 lbs. Plus the 'vette is much smaller and more aerodynamic.

Some cars just make the sensation of speed and acceleration minimal because they do it effortlessly, the 'vette is one of them. I love my 'stang but let's be real here.
His stang is a a10 on e85... He actually might...

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard Premium GT automatic
The GT A10 PP1 traps higher speeds in the 1/4 mile than the Corvette Stingray non vert and the SS. The Corvette 'vert is a tad slower than the coupe. Yes, the A10 GT PP1 is a screamer.

C&D GT A10 PP1: 12.1 @ 120 mph (best magazine run)
C&D Camaro SS: 12.2 @ 118 mph (best run), even the SS A10 ranges from 115 mph (M/T) to 118 mph (C&D).
C&D Stingray coupe (faster than the convertible): 12.2 @ 118 mph (to be fair that is the manual trans, didn't find an auto test and gave up after a couple of minutes)
I did multiple searches on Corvette times too and was surprised they all said pretty much the same times as the Camaro, maybe a tenth or so faster to 60. Doesn't make sense since it is about 400 pounds lighter and better aero. Must be a traction issue. A good example is the 1320 Challenger is a good half second quicker than the regular SP when you launch it right.

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I did multiple searches on Corvette times too and was surprised they all said pretty much the same times as the Camaro, maybe a tenth or so faster to 60. Doesn't make sense since it is about 400 pounds lighter and better aero. Must be a traction issue. A good example is the 1320 Challenger is a good half second quicker than the regular SP when you launch it right.
One thing is the C7 Vette never got the much better A10 transmission that the MY18+ Mustang and MY19+ Camaro have, the 8-speed automatic is supposed to be pretty mediocre (and while the 7-speed manual in the Vette is pretty awesome, it's not going to beat the new A10 is a straight up drag race).

mJolnir

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang
One thing is the C7 Vette never got the much better A10 transmission that the MY18+ Mustang and MY19+ Camaro have, the 8-speed automatic is supposed to be pretty mediocre (and while the 7-speed manual in the Vette is pretty awesome, it's not going to beat the new A10 is a straight up drag race).
With a couple of friends we tested both cars, first on the dyno and then at the track, both bone stock except for drag radials, the camaro put down 405whp and the mustang 395whp, at the track the camaro went 12.1 to the mustang 12.2 i cant remember the MPH but the difference was much less than 0.1, in the end we all agreed that whoever got the best reaction time on the tree would win the race.

Radguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Kia Stinger, 2018 Kia Sedona
In June of this year, my wife and I had a '19 Mustang GT 'vert, A10 rental for a week (it had the digital dash but otherwise, no other options on the car). We both fell in love with it.

In October of this year we had a '19 Camaro SS 'vert, auto for a week rental. That was a disappointment and we both felt hat we liked the Mustang much more.

Camaro-- more or less useless trunk
worse visibility as compared to the Mustang especially with the top up!
less user friendly center console controls (I was forever looking up things in the owner's manual)
absolutely ANEMIC exhaust note compared to the Mustang (HUGE disappointment!!) (SPORTS car??--REALLY??)
front seats slightly more comfortable than the Mustang, but the cooling function was totally useless--couldn't even feel it

Mustang-- better overall visibility
way more intuitive dashboard controls (I think I had the owner's manual out once)
Functional trunk--pleasantly surprised how much we got in the trunk after an outing at Sam's Club
WAY better exhaust note (even though it was just the standard exhaust)--can't wait to try the Active Exhaust!!
Overall, just felt like a more comfortable vehicle to drive
front seat slightly less comfortable but cooling function worked
rear seats slightly more roomy than the Camaro

Going to look for a Mustang as our retirement "Fun" vehicle in a couple of years.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Camaro-- more or less useless trunk
Yeah, you know, people with a brand bias (which is totally OK, I get it) will dismiss this, but it's pretty big downside. Also, I really dislike convertibles where the top position determines the amount of trunk space (like the Camaro). We can jump the GT, load up the trunk to its full capacity with the top up, drive to Orlando, hit Ace Cafe, and drop_the_top without worrying about if we can, or if we need to re-arrange, etc. To me, that's a major negative impact on the convertible experience.

Now, with a Smart Top module, I even have "one touch" top up and down, and operation at ~20MPH, for $200 (easily found new with discount for ~$250) :D

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, you know, people with a brand bias (which is totally OK, I get it) will dismiss this, but it's pretty big downside.
I don't normally concern myself with trunk space (pickup, various hatchbacks) so I didn't think to check the Camaro since the Mustang trunk works great. Boy oh boy I want to choke the Camaro designer(s) who thought their implementation was acceptable. But on the other hand, it's not like I drive the Camaro to do errands more difficult than getting groceries for one. The C7 design should have been the pattern.

I will second that the stock GT exhaust note is excellent. The Camaro even with the dual-mode is very quiet but does howl well enough once deep into the throttle and RPM. We'll see how the Mustang sounds after the Borla street + Steeda H-pipe instead of resonator.

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I don't normally concern myself with trunk space (pickup, various hatchbacks) so I didn't think to check the Camaro since the Mustang trunk works great. Boy oh boy I want to choke the Camaro designer(s) who thought their implementation was acceptable. But on the other hand, it's not like I drive the Camaro to do errands more difficult than getting groceries for one. The C7 design should have been the pattern.

I will second that the stock GT exhaust note is excellent. The Camaro even with the dual-mode is very quiet but does howl well enough once deep into the throttle and RPM. We'll see how the Mustang sounds after the Borla street + Steeda H-pipe instead of resonator.
I hear you, I mean, I don't use my GT like a truck, we have a DD/RT when we need more space (hitch, a trailer).

The loss of space in a Camaro pales, to the M3 cab, back before I bought my '16 GT convertible, I briefly cross-shopped them, which as you probably know, they use a retractable hardtop. It's nice in that it's almost a "real" coupe with the top up, but of course it adds cost, complexity, notable weight ... but the real deal killer was when it was dropped, the trunk had __maybe__ a briefcase sized amount of storage space (owners say the "fix" is simply to put your luggage in the back seat ... because, ew, a Mustang ... :crazy:)

I've got the Active Exhaust, and the range of sound levels from Quiet to Track is pretty impressive, yeah, I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a Steeda H-pipe myself, I understand it's a touch deeper "classic" muscle car tone.

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
Yup. I test drove over a dozen cars before committing to buying my 19 GT.
Genesis G70
Kia Stinger GT2
Mercedes-AMG c43
BMW m240xi
C7 Vette
Camaro SS
Audi S4
Jaguar XE (v6)
Alfa Romeo Guilia Ti
Cadillac ATS
Lexus IS 350
Infiniti q60 Red Sport
Acura TLX A-Spec

And at least 2 or 3 others that I’m forgetting
Im looking at some of those cars in your list for a new daily driver.
For me what stood out was the c43, ats-v, c63 and tlx a-spec.
Will probably be a c43 since I need good mpg. ATS-V would have been nice, but the infotainment is trash, and horrible trunk.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
Im looking at some of those cars in your list for a new daily driver.
For me what stood out was the c43, ats-v, c63 and tlx a-spec.
Will probably be a c43 since I need good mpg. ATS-V would have been nice, but the infotainment is trash, and horrible trunk.
I really disliked the c43. The ride quality was horrible even in the “normal mode”. I felt that the S4/S5 had a nicer interior, was faster, drove more comfortably, had better tech, and was cheaper. I personally hated the ATS, but it wasn’t a V.

Radguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Kia Stinger, 2018 Kia Sedona
I really disliked the c43. The ride quality was horrible even in the “normal mode”. I felt that the S4/S5 had a nicer interior, was faster, drove more comfortably, had better tech, and was cheaper. I personally hated the ATS, but it wasn’t a V.
I also was disappointed with the C43.
I bought a used C300 with the intention of eventually upgrading to a C43. Test drove the C43 for an entire day and came away overall disappointed, which was surprising as I already had owned an AMG car (SL 63) and loved it!

The C43, I found, was nice to drive in "Touring" mode. Switch to sport mode and unless you're driving on new asphalt, the suspension was way too stiff. In town with potholed roads it was bone jarring. The car had the selectable sport exhaust, which, when selected, was way too loud in cabin. I literally had to yell at my passenger to maintain a conversation. I couldn't see myself in a daily driver where I would more or less have to leave everything in "Touring" mode all of the time. Ultimately, my experience may be way different from yours. You will know when to try it.

I ended up upgrading to a Kia Stinger Limiter AWD (a GT2 in the U.S.) and have had no regrets whatsoever. The Stinger is an AMAZING car (no complaints at all--Kia kit it out of the park with that one), and literally half the price of the C43!!

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
The reason the c43 ride is horrible are the run flats and goes with having 19s also. Go to a smaller wheel diameter and ditch the run craps and the ride will improve. Also the interior depends which one you get, the amg seats are quilted while the regular seats are just leather.
I'm looking at used so anywhere from 35k-low 40s. The newer c43 can be loaded with rear power window sunshade too and semi autonomous steering assist and and distance assist. Just option I'd want on a daily driver.
Sponsored