Sponsored

My opinions after spending time with rental Camaro SS and Corvette Stingray Convertible.

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
86 GT, red; 88 LX 5.0, black; 95 GT black; 99 Cobra with mods (still own); ā€˜16 GT, PP, manual, Ruby, drivetrain vibration!; Traded for ā€˜19 GT, A10, velocity blue, love it.
Thought I would share this with you guys.

I rented a 2019 Stingray convertible from Hertz, drove from LA to Davis, CA, and back down the Carrizo Plain and San Andreas Fault. Some crappy roads, freeway, and some good canyon and back roads.
I rented a 2019 Camaro SS convertible on a recent trip to Arizona and spend several days with it. Mostly freeway and in-town, but I took some time to get to know the car.

-Corvette. Nice car. Great tech inside. decent ride. But, QUITE uncomfortable and seats too small.
-Camaro. Nice car, nice tech...ride not too great. Comfort OK.

I was very surprised that my 2019 A10 GT PP1 would blow the doors off either of these cars. At least it sure felt that way, and I don't think I'm mistaken. Now, maybe it's because my car has an E-85 flex tune and I run it on E-85, but it is far more responsive, pulls harder and longer.

Again - I was surprised, but it sure made me glad I settled on the Mustang for the 6th time in my life.
Sponsored

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
Corvette has 460 hp and weighs 3300 lbs. There is no way your A10 GT PP1 is going to blow the doors off that car since the Mustang is likely around 3800 lbs. Plus the 'vette is much smaller and more aerodynamic.

Some cars just make the sensation of speed and acceleration minimal because they do it effortlessly, the 'vette is one of them. I love my 'stang but let's be real here.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
That C8 is faster than your car.

/Reality check

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Now, maybe it's because my car has an E-85 flex tune and I run it on E-85, but it is far more responsive, pulls harder and longer.
Ya think? Did you put in Premium when you got gas? Regardless, your comparing apples and oranges.
That C8 is faster than your car.
19ā€™ vert. That would be a C7.

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
Thought I would share this with you guys.

I rented a 2019 Stingray convertible from Hertz, drove from LA to Davis, CA, and back down the Carrizo Plain and San Andreas Fault. Some crappy roads, freeway, and some good canyon and back roads.
I rented a 2019 Camaro SS convertible on a recent trip to Arizona and spend several days with it. Mostly freeway and in-town, but I took some time to get to know the car.

-Corvette. Nice car. Great tech inside. decent ride. But, QUITE uncomfortable and seats too small.
-Camaro. Nice car, nice tech...ride not too great. Comfort OK.

I was very surprised that my 2019 A10 GT PP1 would blow the doors off either of these cars. At least it sure felt that way, and I don't think I'm mistaken. Now, maybe it's because my car has an E-85 flex tune and I run it on E-85, but it is far more responsive, pulls harder and longer.

Again - I was surprised, but it sure made me glad I settled on the Mustang for the 6th time in my life.
I test drove a '18 SS last Spring just to see for myself what the issues with the car was. I was out in the car less than 5 minutes and took it back to the dealership...I was shocked at how poorly you see out of the backs and sides of those cars...I literally didn't feel safe driving in it. Mustangs has such a huge advantage, the glass is much easier to see out of and in my Mustang I don't feel like I've dropped down into a tank that makes rear visibility an issue like the Camaro. As far as the C7 Vettes go, I have a buddy who owns a '16 Stingray, nice car, but I'm 6'5" and to sit in it he has to take the roof completely out...so no matter how sexy I think that Vette is, there is zero chance I'd own one being the size person I am.

Sponsored

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I had a 2015 lt2 c7 auto. My e85 tuned 18 gt a10 would torch it in a straight line. Only above 125 mph did the vette aero @ weight show an advantage.

Excel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT and 2015 F150
Anyone who is smart tests the competition and makes he/she own conclusion
As a chevy guy the camaro made me wanna throw up,looks inside and out just
was unsatisfying in just about every aspect..One test drive in the S550 was all I needed
and bought it. As for Dodge,the Hemi really rules but no way Im buying a 4500 pound brick
I do think however the C8 will decimate all in due time including the GT500

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
Anyone who is smart tests the competition and makes he/she own conclusion
As a chevy guy the camaro made me wanna throw up,looks inside and out just
was unsatisfying in just about every aspect..One test drive in the S550 was all I needed
and bought it. As for Dodge,the Hemi really rules but no way Im buying a 4500 pound brick
I do think however the C8 will decimate all in due time including the GT500
Yup. I test drove over a dozen cars before committing to buying my 19 GT.
Genesis G70
Kia Stinger GT2
Mercedes-AMG c43
BMW m240xi
C7 Vette
Camaro SS
Audi S4
Jaguar XE (v6)
Alfa Romeo Guilia Ti
Cadillac ATS
Lexus IS 350
Infiniti q60 Red Sport
Acura TLX A-Spec

And at least 2 or 3 others that Iā€™m forgetting

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
As a past Camaro owner. My Input on the Camaro and Corvette. Love both cars designs. Great looking cars! High performance ceilings for both. Camaro interior. Comfortable enough for a bigger person. (Iā€™m 6ā€™3 270) still CANT see out of the damn thing. And that drives me crazy. If that wouldnā€™t bother you. Save your stupid adjust your mirrors comments. Your not me! I thought about trading the Mustang for a C7. Til I sat in one. Incredibly small interior space. My nuts were crushed. Because the well where your legs go is so narrow. No man spreading going on in a Vette. My head was against the roof to the point that. I was permanently leaning over. And getting in and out of a Vette. Requires an advanced gymnastics pedigree. They are just not fun cars to be inside of. Being comfortable matters a lot to me. So much that I would choice a Mustang or Challenger over a corvette. Even though your giving up some. In the performance playing field.

Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Yup. I test drove over a dozen cars before committing to buying my 19 GT.
Genesis G70
Kia Stinger GT2
Mercedes-AMG c43
BMW m240xi
C7 Vette
Camaro SS
Audi S4
Jaguar XE (v6)
Alfa Romeo Guilia Ti
Cadillac ATS
Lexus IS 350
Infiniti q60 Red Sport
Acura TLX A-Spec

And at least 2 or 3 others that Iā€™m forgetting
I drove quite a few as well... I wanted a convertible so my choices were more limited. I did drive a Hellcat just to see. I came real close to buying a BMW M6 though. The cost of an extended warranty killed that idea.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
I drove quite a few as well... I wanted a convertible so my choices were more limited. I did drive a Hellcat just to see. I came real close to buying a BMW M6 though. The cost of an extended warranty killed that idea.
I looked at mostly AWD cars because I figured if Iā€™m not getting another Stang (all 5 of my owned/leased cars have been Mustangs :p ) I want that winter safety haha
If I were to get an M5 or M6, though, it would def be from CarMax with one of their crazy warranties haha

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
I rented a base C7 auto in Florida about a year ago -I was quite impressed. Effortless speed, great handing, solid, interior quality was fine.

If I could right now I'd nab a M7 GS or ZO6 before they are gone for good and stick Vettes go the way of the dodo.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Corvette has 460 hp and weighs 3300 lbs. There is no way your A10 GT PP1 is going to blow the doors off that car since the Mustang is likely around 3800 lbs. Plus the 'vette is much smaller and more aerodynamic.

Some cars just make the sensation of speed and acceleration minimal because they do it effortlessly, the 'vette is one of them. I love my 'stang but let's be real here.
The GT A10 PP1 traps higher speeds in the 1/4 mile than the Corvette Stingray non vert and the SS. The Corvette 'vert is a tad slower than the coupe. Yes, the A10 GT PP1 is a screamer.

C&D GT A10 PP1: 12.1 @ 120 mph (best magazine run)
C&D Camaro SS: 12.2 @ 118 mph (best run), even the SS A10 ranges from 115 mph (M/T) to 118 mph (C&D).
C&D Stingray coupe (faster than the convertible): 12.2 @ 118 mph (to be fair that is the manual trans, didn't find an auto test and gave up after a couple of minutes)
Sponsored