My Mustang has been damaged :(

V8 WUU

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
My old man visited earlier and somehow managed to reverse into the bright orange object on my drive :crying::crying::crying:

IMG_3312.JPG

IMG_3315.JPG

Considering she is only 2 months old i would like a proper invisible repair, so what do we think is going to be involved to repair this?, and how much?

Going to contact my main dealership tomorrow (Cribbs Causeway Ford) and see what they say.

What do we think? The colour is Twister Orange.

Cheers
Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Mine was damaged when it arrived and I was super annoyed it needed some paint and very nervous about it.

Turned out OK for me (actually in my favour if I was looking on the bright side).

Iā€™m not saying Ford wonā€™t do you a good job, but just because they are Ford doesnā€™t guarantee that they will.

Personally, I would find the best body shop in your area (regardless of which OEā€™s or insurance companies they may or may not work with), make sure they will work with you and know your expectations etc and then entrust the work to them.

Hope it all turns out OK for you :like:

WD :like:

OP
OP
V8 WUU

V8 WUU

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Definitely revoke his driveway privileges until he can be proven trustworthy :like:
Have already banned him :like:

Mine was damaged when it arrived and I was super annoyed it needed some paint and very nervous about it.

Turned out OK for me (actually in my favour if I was looking on the bright side).

Iā€™m not saying Ford wonā€™t do you a good job, but just because they are Ford doesnā€™t guarantee that they will.

Personally, I would find the best body shop in your area (regardless of which OEā€™s or insurance companies they may or may not work with), make sure they will work with you and know your expectations etc and then entrust the work to them.

Hope it all turns out OK for you :like:

Yes i am a bit concerned how good a job Ford will do, or if they will just punt it off to a backstreet body shop.

Have found these guys who look reputable, workshop looks clean and tidy and looks like they do some high end stuff. https://www.southwestcolour.co.uk
May give them a try tomorrow.

Does anyone have any recommendation around the Bristol/Gloucestershire area?

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Are you going to use insurance? When at all possible I always pay out-of-pocket to keep it off of the Carfax. Since this happened within your family I wouldnā€™t even call your insurance company. And stay away from Ford. Thatā€™s just my opinion on that.

Sponsored

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I paid directly when my door caught the wind and nailed a work colleagues car. Think it cost me Ā£350 but at the time my excess was doubled due to the value of the car plus it would have affected both our insurance polices and would have cost me more.

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
Are you going to use insurance? When at all possible I always pay out-of-pocket to keep it off of the Carfax. Since this happened within your family I wouldnā€™t even call your insurance company. And stay away from Ford. Thatā€™s just my opinion on that.
^^^^This^^^^^
It's going to cost you anyway.
Best to pay out of pocket if possible.

Personally; as stated, I'd find the BEST body shop possible with several
recommendations from people I trust to do the work.................:thumbsup:

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Could have been worse, that's purely cosmetic damage and easily sorted.

+1 for avoiding Ford. It's a bit of a gamble as to what quality you'll get.

A paint shop with an excellent rep is the way to go, as others have said, pay out of your own pocked - with a large contribution from Dad! and get it done right the first time.

OP
OP
V8 WUU

V8 WUU

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Thanks guys, well ive just been to 2 body shops.

The 1st (brin jones- Filton) who i got a good feeling about, he understood i want a top job, and not see any evidence of paintwork.
They will remove the bumper, strip it down and paint, then also repaint the wing.
Explained how they would look after the car, and supply a courtesy car.
Ā£888+Vat!

The second - i didn't get feel so confident about.
would repaint the bumper on the car, and just blend the wing. Would not guarantee it would be a perfect match. No courtesy car available.
Ā£500+Vat.

My gut is saying go with the 1st, as they just seemed like they knew what they are doing, and at a top price i can expect a top job?

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Other than mirror caps / hood vents etc I am out of touch with what paintwork costs.

There is only you who can make a choice on that seeing what you have seen and listening to your gut etc.

Expensive does not always mean better but on the other hand if you spent 500 and weren't happy, you would be kicking yourself for not spending the 888 ...

What I will say is that painting the bumper on the car (especially in the bumper / fender shut line area) will give you a higher chance of paint edges. I also don't like that they have already been giving themselves a get out with regards to the paint match ...

'If it were me' I would be going back to the first paint shop, having a look at work they had just completed and making sure you were happy with the standard (anyone can tell you how good of a job they can do, but looking at what they have actually done acts as a great bullshit filter). Then talking to them about a cash price and maybe even a possible reduction for not taking the courtesy car (if you can get away without needing it) :like:

Sponsored

Kylemacca01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Over a grand to fix that is absolutely mental. I would have expected 350 quid or so. A proper repair would be a blended basecoat and then clearing the whole panel. Bumper plus fender isn't too bad panel size wise. Or is that the rear, can't tell.

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Ā£888 + VAT doesn't surprise me considering we're talking 2 panels. I think that's very reasonable.

As @WD Pro says, you'll be kicking yourself if you opted for the cheaper place and ended up not being happy. You'll then be looking at much more to correct the shoddy work.

Like all of these skilled labor jobs, you generally get what you pay for. I'm sure if you looked hard enough you'll find someone who will do it for < Ā£300 but I'd bet the workmanship will stick out like a sore thumb on a brand new car.

OP
OP
V8 WUU

V8 WUU

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Well she is now all fixed :)

Really happy with the result, very good colour match and the paint is as smooth as glass!

They also managed to only repaint the bumper (off the car) and then polish and touch up the wing.

So the bill ended up just under Ā£600 (inc Vat), so not too bad.

IMG_3334.jpg