Sponsored

My local stereo shop said they can't install a head unit in my '19.

Todd00000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
They said there is a problem getting the A/C controls to work correctly after installs, is this true? They just finished my Jeep and long story short I was not impressed.
Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Yes for the most part, they are right.
What are your goals with the system? Replace the base model's tiny 4" screen? External amps and or subwoofer?

OP
OP
Todd00000

Todd00000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Yes for the most part, they are right.
What are your goals with the system? Replace the base model's tiny 4" screen? External amps and or subwoofer?
I have the base car (6 speakers), I'd like full sound range and a sub in the trunk. I'm fine with the stock head unit and SYNC if it can give good overall sound and bass.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I have the base car (6 speakers), I'd like full sound range and a sub in the trunk. I'm fine with the stock head unit and SYNC if it can give good overall sound and bass.
Lots of good info on this forum. The base radio can be reprogrammed to give you variable line outputs using a program called Forscan and a ELM327 ODBII programmer (must have the toggle switch for HS/MS Can-bus) No need for a LOC (Line Output Converter) device before your amplifiers. Also read this thread, lot's of great info for you or your installer: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/stereo-information-wiring-upgrades-etc.25501/unread

Here are the hex codes you need to adjust in the ACM (Audio Control Module) leave the x's alone and adjust the others accordingly:

This mod can be done with FORScan w/ODBLink MX Adapter:
727-01-01 xx59 F8x8 xxxx - Enables Line Level with Optional Subwoofer (Aux 1) and Front Center (Aux 2) Outputs Enabled*
727-01-02 00xx - Disables Factory EQ Processing <- THIS IS THE ONLY ONE TO CHANGE IF KEEPING THE FACTORY AMPLIFIER

* This string breaks down as follows:
5 = Variable Line Level Audio Output
9 = Enable External Subwoofer (AUX 1) and Internal Amplifier (Aux 2) (0 - Disable)
F = Disable Open Speaker Circuit Detection (w/Active FM Radio Antenna - Otherwise use a D)
8 = Front Tweeters Present
8 = Aux 1 Type: Mono Subwoofer and Aux 2 Type: Front Center

OP
OP
Todd00000

Todd00000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Lots of good info on this forum. The base radio can be reprogrammed to give you variable line outputs using a program called Forscan and a ELM327 ODBII programmer (must have the toggle switch for HS/MS Can-bus) No need for a LOC (Line Output Converter) device before your amplifiers. Also read this thread, lot's of great info for you or your installer: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/stereo-information-wiring-upgrades-etc.25501/unread

Here are the hex codes you need to adjust in the ACM (Audio Control Module) leave the x's alone and adjust the others accordingly:

This mod can be done with FORScan w/ODBLink MX Adapter:
727-01-01 xx59 F8x8 xxxx - Enables Line Level with Optional Subwoofer (Aux 1) and Front Center (Aux 2) Outputs Enabled*
727-01-02 00xx - Disables Factory EQ Processing <- THIS IS THE ONLY ONE TO CHANGE IF KEEPING THE FACTORY AMPLIFIER

* This string breaks down as follows:
5 = Variable Line Level Audio Output
9 = Enable External Subwoofer (AUX 1) and Internal Amplifier (Aux 2) (0 - Disable)
F = Disable Open Speaker Circuit Detection (w/Active FM Radio Antenna - Otherwise use a D)
8 = Front Tweeters Present
8 = Aux 1 Type: Mono Subwoofer and Aux 2 Type: Front Center
I will read that thread. Can you briefly explain what having "variable line outputs" will do for me?

Sponsored

OF5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP
I will read that thread. Can you briefly explain what having "variable line outputs" will do for me?
It means that your volume knob will work normally when using external amplifiers. The variable line outputs (up to 4 volts) can be considered as the equivalents to RCA outputs or low-level outputs. Speaker-level outputs are considered high-level outputs.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
You will be able to use your factory wiring speaker outputs as a "line" connection to the input of your new external amplifiers. You will then need to reconnect your speakers back to your external amp out puts. This eliminates the need to put a line converter in between the factory outputs and your amp. Read through the link I provided. It should cover it.

rebellovw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
Variable line out would be like having a pre amp than controls an external amplifier. Your head unit becomes a preamp.

OP
OP
Todd00000

Todd00000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Since I mostly listen to books on tape during my commute I've settled on installing a powered sub in the trunk.
Where is the best place to run power cables to the trunk?

donmcgowen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, D1 Procharger Stage 2
This is a very basic install. If you don't want to replace your head unit, and if you have that little 4.3" you should, you just need to wire in a line out converter. I'm not familiar with the 4", but I added to my Sync 3. I used the for-11ck harness to tap into the speaker wire behind the stereo. Then connect to line out converter. Then connect to amp. Then you run the amp wires back to the other side of the harness and all good. Took at 30 minutes.

Sponsored

donmcgowen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I personally wouldnt go with American Muscle. It's not a bad beginner system, but you can get something equal for less or better for the money. Just depends. You have the anal audiophiles who womt recommend anything but the best like the Kooks header people. I am more bang for the buck. I have been using Hifonics maps with great success.

I run the amp below. Has way more power then you will need but gives room to grow. Sounds great. There are better maps, but as I said unless you are an audiophile, you cant tell. At least I cannot unless side by side. Like these TVs now. My $800 Philip's 65" looks just as good as the $2000 Samsung. Just me.

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/ite...MS-4-Channel-Car-Audio-Amplifier-Amp-Kit.html

For speakers, you want to look a bit more at quality. I dont know what size the base comes with but something like below would be good.
Look at Infinity, Polk, JL. About $100 a pair.

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_174189_Infinity-REF-6532ix.html

So about $200 for amp, $200 for speakers. Way more power then the American Muscle kit. So if you want to upgrade the amp, you still under the AM price.

OP
OP
Todd00000

Todd00000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT

donmcgowen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You need to run them from the battery through passenger side. There is a big opening passenger side fender.