My homemade Headunit

StangATX

Project Corrupted Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550 White Corrupted Cyclone
Hello guys!

Just wanted to introduce my little project for the Mustang. I've been working on Tomtop and Tesla Headunit but so far I wasn't too happy with the customization and programming part... My Headunit is running a Custom ROM and Custom Kernel under Nougat (7.1.1). Everything is working as OEM but I was able to make an exploit to run Android Auto and connect my phone to it. I have Waze/Google Map running as well. (Much better than iGo or any other app IMO). I was able to share my GPS Antenna from my phone to the Headunit. I can receive calls and text messages. I didn't loose the Sync voice activation but I also have "Ok Google" now. My headunit also has the auto-dim feature integrated and I still have my steering wheel control working with it. Anyways... Check out the video below :)

[ame]

PS: It's not perfect but decent enough for my usage. I will add later on more features.
Sponsored

[email protected]

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick D
Vehicle(s)
red gt auto
thats damm impressive! so many questions lol. how on earth did you get sw controls to work for one?

OP
OP
StangATX

StangATX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
thats damm impressive! so many questions lol. how on earth did you get sw controls to work for one?
I was able to kinda trick the OEM harness. I mean I didn't really did too much wiring. The main part is more software based thanks to the exploit I found.

[email protected]

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick D
Vehicle(s)
red gt auto
would you be willing to share how? ive got an android (joying) 5.1 in a premium bezel which is cool for now, but eventually i want to go with something that lets me full control of the climate controls. it would be nice
though if i could get the sw controls to work for now.

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Very nice!! Need some animations for volume input and I think you will be set! So is the OEM radio base still present or is the tablet (nexus 7 I am assuming?) handling all functions? I would assume that the headunit and base sync module are still present? If so do you think there is any chance of building an app that will be able to control the OEM sync module? That would be a great way of truly integrating the headunit into the vehicle.

OP
OP
StangATX

StangATX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
would you be willing to share how? ive got an android (joying) 5.1 in a premium bezel which is cool for now, but eventually i want to go with something that lets me full control of the climate controls. it would be nice
though if i could get the sw controls to work for now.
I need more info about your unit and some pictures. send me a PM over and we can check stuff out. Right now I ordered a little device for the OEM backup camera to work with my project. I found out the Pins on the OEM harness to get the feed from the reverse camera I'll just have to jump those wires and connect my RCA to it. I'll post another video whenever I get everything together.

Very nice!! Need some animations for volume input and I think you will be set! So is the OEM radio base still present or is the tablet (nexus 7 I am assuming?) handling all functions? I would assume that the headunit and base sync module are still present? If so do you think there is any chance of building an app that will be able to control the OEM sync module? That would be a great way of truly integrating the headunit into the vehicle.
Right now the Nexus 7 is doing pretty much all the work. (Software play an import role for the SW controls in my project). Sync box is still in. Pretty much every OEM parts/harness are still in the car. I just lookup some pins for other controls such as the reverse camera. I found the 2 pins I was looking for to connect my RCA to the Nexus 7. Also for the animations volume input I'll look for it later on. For me it's not too much of a big deal lol. keep in mind that this is just a prototype and it's not perfect. It's mostly working for Android only. (You can still connect an iPhone but you won't have Car Play or AA working with your iPhone.). I'm still working on making my own app with dealership restriction etc... I am also looking to bring Siruis XM to the Nexus 7. I have a half working project to remove the start button and just make the start button integrated to the tablet as a kinda Anti-Theft... (You will have to enter a Pin code to unlock the tablet and then start the engine). For that I will use an Arduino. I can also control the AC with the Arduino but I like the OEM control ( I don't have to look down to see what I'm doing ).

PS: Sorry for the late reply I've been busy lately.