Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2016 Shelby GT350 "FPRS #9"

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
Based on your WTB for a transmission and the A/C thread, sounds like you've hit some challenges with #9. Hoping all is well and that you get the issues worked out soon.

OP
OP
azshelby350

azshelby350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
Hello everyone! Time for an update on the highs and lows of my school car. Are you ready? It's about to get expensive ...

The Bad
From the moment I got the car from Charlotte I could tell the driveline was a little funky. After the TSB fix for the transmission output shaft flange nut coming loose, the car was still "surging" under easy braking and emitting a rotational noise from the transmission tunnel. Reverse gear would sometimes pop out and there was grinding between 5-6 or 6-5. The clutch felt like it was ready to go and the shifter felt sloppy and vague compared to my '19.

After receiving my McLeod RXT clutch kit and MGW Gen 2 shifter from Lethal Performance, I made an appointment at my local Ford dealer for the install of those items as well as long tube headers from Corsa, and a Corsa double-X resonator delete midpipe. I retained the factory mufflers because of the valve. I've been using the same dealer since I moved to AZ in 2004, and I used to work there, plus my best friend is the owner's son, so I know I will be taken care of. Plus, the tech that works on all Shelby's is the only Ford GT certified tech in AZ, so I knew the car would be in good hands. I dropped her off a couple weeks ago not expecting what came next.

The tech test drove my car to verify my concerns before tearing into it. His impression was that the 2-3 gears were the culprit. After the tech pulled the transmission he noticed extreme problems that made him wonder how the car was even driveable. First, the drain plug at the bottom was completely covered in metal shavings.
tempImageOgX87T.jpg

tempImagehrJvH9.jpg

Second, the transmission input shaft was essentially about to break off.
tempImageDK6ugK.jpg

Third, the input shaft inner bearing had blown itself apart (hence all of the metal shavings) and was only barely hanging on at all.
tempImagealQnpo.jpg

But wait, there's more. The pump gear that circulates oil to the auxiliary cooler was seized in place, necessitating a replacement cooler and flush of the lines as well.
tempImagedQo6sF.jpg

So needless to say, this 9k-mile Tremec 3160 was toast. Then came the next problem -- finding one. According to my tech and advisor, these units are on "intergalactic" backorder, haha. If we couldn't find one I was facing a repair bill for $9,200 in parts alone. By some miracle though, the tech located a brand new box in Oklahoma City the next day and snagged it for the low, low price of $4,946. What a deal.

My dealer got the trans, installed the MGW shifter, mated it all to the McLeod clutch, checked the rear diff to make sure the fluid wasn't burned or low, and #9 was ready to be picked up. Note: you must perform a crank relearn any time the back of the engine is exposed or else you will expire a multitude of misfire codes (ask me how I know).

Side note 2: I created a separate thread about the A/C blowing inconsistent air temps. Who knows what that will turn into.

The Good
The transmission feels like a new trans should. The clutch has a slightly harder pedal feel and an engagement point closer to the top of the travel, but otherwise is not that different from stock. I will say though that I have to give the car more throttle taking off from a stop or while in reverse to prevent stalling or chatter. I'm sure I'll get used to it soon. The shifter is unbelievably precise and feels kind of like an old gated manual. There is zero play, even in neutral.

The exhaust is freaking loud! Long tube headers with no cats, no resonators, and open valves essentially make for a straight-piped race car. My tech said the Corsa headers (Lethal Performance exclusive apparently) were the nicest made and best fitting headers he's ever installed. The sound is not as raspy as expected, with no drone, and none of the silly backfire pops on deceleration like cars with test pipes. With the valves closed, the sound is not much louder than stock, albeit a little higher pitched. Overall, I am 10/10 satisfied.

I've been sending data logs back and forth to Lund Racing using their HP Tuners RTD+ device that uses a smartphone app and bluetooth for a super quick and easy interface. I am still battling one code - P0141 - for a bank 1 sensor 2 heater circuit o2 sensor malfunction. Lund thinks this will go away after all Ford drive cycles are complete. We'll see.

The Other
I decided on a Drake fire extinguisher mount and the same Kiddie extinguisher that I have in my '19. Clean and simple I think.
tempImage4RtLqS.jpg

I also installed a ZL1-Addons front tow hook and the obligatory "tow arrow" sticker because why? Because racecar.
tempImage1eDSnK.jpg

tempImageG1cTgo.jpg

The carbon dash kit is from Dyna and I must say I am not a fan. Looks good from outside the car but I wouldn't buy again. It does help to dress up these non-Tech pack cars though.

The Next
#9 goes to my alignment suspension shop guy on Monday for the install of lots of Steeda goodies: dual-rate lowering springs, bumpsteer kit, chassis brace, front and rear swaybar endlinks, rear camber bolts, toe links, vertical links, and subframe alignment kit. This is the same setup I have on my '19 and am very happy with how that car handles. The difference will be school-installed Maximum Motorsports camber plates up front versus my Steeda ones on my other car. I may have the shop open up the shock tower holes so that I can get to 3 degrees negative up front.

I think that's about it for now, thanks for reading along!

Sponsored

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yikes on the transmission issues, but very glad you were able to get it resolved and continue forward with other upgrades! Great to follow along as our ex-FPRS cars all get acclimated to their new lives!

Keep the news coming - hopefully all good for the future, though!

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
So was the trans internals imploded due to inexperienced Track Day drivers, or just a hard track whooping 9k mikes?

OP
OP
azshelby350

azshelby350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
So was the trans internals imploded due to inexperienced Track Day drivers, or just a hard track whooping 9k mikes?
My bet is inexperienced students who don’t know how/when to shift and who repeatedly sent too much load through the driveline. I was pretty shocked to see (and hear) so many students in my class that you’d swear had never driven a manual before. Which is odd since these cars were for an owner-only program. The other factor was likely an improper break-in period when Ford replaced the first trans at about 7500 miles.

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn't look at too many of the OASIS reports for the 17 cars they sold, but from what I heard through other lookers / buyers was that most, if not all, had replacement transmissions. The Mule (#14) is on it's second replacement that it received around 4k miles ago with a refresh about 2k miles before I bought it.

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
My #17 had a replacement trans too. I need to look at how many miles ago.

Sponsored
OP
OP
azshelby350

azshelby350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
From the stories I’ve heard it sounds like when the Gen 1 engines blew it was often in a catastrophic fashion that blew apart the clutch and cracked the trans bell housings, thus requiring replacement.

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
From the stories I’ve heard it sounds like when the Gen 1 engines blew it was often in a catastrophic fashion that blew apart the clutch and cracked the trans bell housings, thus requiring replacement.
Wasn't that the flywheel going and in the same instance grenading the engine and the transmission?

OP
OP
azshelby350

azshelby350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
My Oasis notes indicate engine and transmission were replaced due to flywheel failure.

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
Great thread, fun story! I have to say sometimes on the forum I feel like the poor kid who rides his beat up bike over to the high end neighborhood and sits on the curb to watch the rich people go by. Whooo! But more power to the folks who can afford to enjoy these amazing cars.

*(a bit tongue in cheek since having a nice GT isn't a poor boy by any stretch.)
Sponsored