Sponsored

My first attempt at keeping black car swirl/scratch free?

Suma Performance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT
Definitely recommending using a leaf blower before using a MF tower if you have time. Doesn't matter how careful we are, we're always running the risk of creating micro scratches with MF towel.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Suma: I now use a Metro Vac but for years I used quality MF drying towels, (and I still carry one while blow drying to get the errant spray.)

I have also been paint correcting for quite a few years so I know what damaged clear looks like and I never noticed that any marks were caused by drying. There has to be a contaminant in the equation that is hard enough to mar the clear coat and that nearly always occurs during washing, not drying when the vehicle is as clean as you can get it, at least in my experience.

This is why I'm a huge fan of soap cannons and soaking the vehicle for some minutes just like dishes. For me, this followed by a good rinse will remove about 95 percent of the dirt and only a very light wash is necessary, at least for a vehicle that didn't begin super dirty.

Suma Performance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT
Suma: I now use a Metro Vac but for years I used quality MF drying towels, (and I still carry one while blow drying to get the errant spray.)

I have also been paint correcting for quite a few years so I know what damaged clear looks like and I never noticed that any marks were caused by drying. There has to be a contaminant in the equation that is hard enough to mar the clear coat and that nearly always occurs during washing, not drying when the vehicle is as clean as you can get it, at least in my experience.

This is why I'm a huge fan of soap cannons and soaking the vehicle for some minutes just like dishes. For me, this followed by a good rinse will remove about 95 percent of the dirt and only a very light wash is necessary, at least for a vehicle that didn't begin super dirty.
We are a huge fan of soaking the car with car shampoos first, using the suds to remove most of the dirt and grime first! Plus, it is fun.

OP
OP

hellohello123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2022 California GT: Black
A bit of a random question
But how bad is hot summer days on paint work
If you have to go somehwere and leave the car put for the whole day in the hot sun, does it do any damage?

Or am i just overthinking?
Obviously not taking your car on hot days defeats the purpose of having a car!

Sponsored

Suma Performance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT
A bit of a random question
But how bad is hot summer days on paint work
If you have to go somehwere and leave the car put for the whole day in the hot sun, does it do any damage?

Or am i just overthinking?
Obviously not taking your car on hot days defeats the purpose of having a car!
Not bad. But it is bad when you do a car wash (using care detailing stuff) under a hot Sun because the chemical stuff dries up fast and stuck on the paint.

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Regular sun ie UV damages paint and interior, which is what a lot of detailing products specifically try to mitigate so regular maintenance is a good thing and shade is your friend when you're out and about. Most detailing products recommend application when the car is shaded and cool so just wash it in the morning or in the evening out of direct sunlight. Exposure here and there won't matter, cars are made for that. You can always use a windscreen shade and/or dash mat, or even a car cover, on a car that sees a lot of daily sun and remember to get onto bird droppings, tree sap and bug guts as quick as is practical as they bake in the sun and are no fun to get off apart from potentially marking the paint if left for days or weeks.

Last edited:
OP
OP

hellohello123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
Not bad. But it is bad when you do a car wash (using care detailing stuff) under a hot Sun because the chemical stuff dries up fast and stuck on the paint.
definitely, ive been told to never wash the car in sun or when its hot

its been repeated to me multiple times :)

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
definitely, ive been told to never wash the car in sun or when its hot
Johnny: You may be fortunate to have a climate that allows that but here, in south Texas during the summer, it's impossible to avoid "hot." They key is to keep the vehicle wet, wash a little, rinse like heck, wash some more, etc. Then, pull her into the shade or garage for drying. It works but you have to be fast to avoid spotting.

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Get a canopy tent :)
<smiling>

Suma: I have enough car junk in the garage that it's about to burst at the seams so, no room for a canopy tent. <grin> Besides, if you'd ever been to this fair city by the sea, you'd realize that there's far too much wind for any kind of tent that isn't staked down and my driveway would make that difficult. <smile>

Might work somewheres though.

Suma Performance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT
<smiling>

Suma: I have enough car junk in the garage that it's about to burst at the seams so, no room for a canopy tent. <grin> Besides, if you'd ever been to this fair city by the sea, you'd realize that there's far too much wind for any kind of tent that isn't staked down and my driveway would make that difficult. <smile>

Might work somewheres though.
true, one less than thing we don't need :)

OP
OP

hellohello123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
well my first attempt at washing didnt go too well,

been gloomy all afternoon, so took the car out of garage and just about to start the sun starts blaring,

anyway, first time im using the snow foam attachment on my 10 year old no name pressure washer

ive go the autoglym stuff which on the site says suitable for foaming with pressure washers but im not sure if that was just an add on,

instructions say put 2 capfuls for 10L of water, but im guessing thats for buckets,
so I put 1 capful in my 500ml odd snow foam device,
all that happened was it seemed like white water, so there was no foam,

am i supposed to put 500ml of water + the 1x capful or just 1x capful,

also I realised with 500ml water, it ran out in like 30seconds

and then the connection bit of my hose and the pressure washer started leaking quite badly,

so I quickly hosed down the car, and put it in the garage to let it air dry

might be time to buy a new pressure washer

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
well my first attempt at washing didnt go too well,

been gloomy all afternoon, so took the car out of garage and just about to start the sun starts blaring,

anyway, first time im using the snow foam attachment on my 10 year old no name pressure washer

ive go the autoglym stuff which on the site says suitable for foaming with pressure washers but im not sure if that was just an add on,

instructions say put 2 capfuls for 10L of water, but im guessing thats for buckets,
so I put 1 capful in my 500ml odd snow foam device,
all that happened was it seemed like white water, so there was no foam,

am i supposed to put 500ml of water + the 1x capful or just 1x capful,

also I realised with 500ml water, it ran out in like 30seconds

and then the connection bit of my hose and the pressure washer started leaking quite badly,

so I quickly hosed down the car, and put it in the garage to let it air dry

might be time to buy a new pressure washer
From memory, you mentioned the foam cannon you have is the one that was supplied with the pressure washer. I had one with my old Karcher, it never "foamed" and run out very quickly, only covering the car in soapy water. I suspect your dilution ratio would be off too.

As much as I love new toys, before you go and get a new pressure washer, perhaps try a cheap foam cannon from ebay.

Something like in the link below, this one has a Karcher adapter but use the search function with "foam cannon" and the brand of machine and you should get something to fit most machines.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Snow-Fo...087644?hash=item217a8e9ddc:g:8UkAAOSwUk5f00ne

I used a Waxit foam cannon on a cheap Karcher for years and it foam beautifully.

DSC-0294.jpg

I'm now using this, widely known as the best foam cannon on the market. Expensive but it is a pretty nice thing to use. Again, these can be adapted for use with most pressure washers.

https://detailingshed.com.au/collec...-packages/products/mtm-hydro-pf22-foam-cannon

IMG_5966.jpg

IMG_5971.jpg

For most soaps, in a 1 litre foam cannon bottle, I would be adding 100-150 ml of soap.

Feel free to PM me if you need some extra help with pressure washers.

OP
OP

hellohello123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
From memory, you mentioned the foam cannon you have is the one that was supplied with the pressure washer. I had one with my old Karcher, it never "foamed" and run out very quickly, only covering the car in soapy water. I suspect your dilution ratio would be off too.

As much as I love new toys, before you go and get a new pressure washer, perhaps try a cheap foam cannon from ebay.

Something like in the link below, this one has a Karcher adapter but use the search function with "foam cannon" and the brand of machine and you should get something to fit most machines.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Snow-Fo...087644?hash=item217a8e9ddc:g:8UkAAOSwUk5f00ne

I used a Waxit foam cannon on a cheap Karcher for years and it foam beautifully.

DSC-0294.jpg

I'm now using this, widely known as the best foam cannon on the market. Expensive but it is a pretty nice thing to use. Again, these can be adapted for use with most pressure washers.

https://detailingshed.com.au/collec...-packages/products/mtm-hydro-pf22-foam-cannon

IMG_5966.jpg

IMG_5971.jpg

For most soaps, in a 1 litre foam cannon bottle, I would be adding 100-150 ml of soap.

Feel free to PM me if you need some extra help with pressure washers.
yes good memory, I tried the included foam cannon attachment for the first time today,

i connected everything up and was about to put the soap in and scratched my head and asked myself, ok am I just supposed to put the soap in it, or do I put the mixed solution in?

and yes my dilution must be wrong as 1 capful for 10L as per the instructions sounds way off

so im still working out all the varibles!

car has dried with minor water marks, but still look amazing!
Sponsored