Sponsored

My first attempt at keeping black car swirl/scratch free?

Roy_Steeda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roy
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP, 2014 Mercedes E550
Vehicle Showcase
The clear coat is extremely soft. I've got chips down to the metal already on the hood after 6K miles.
is there a way to add to the clearcoat for more protection or is ceramic coating the best option

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
is there a way to add to the clearcoat for more protection or is ceramic coating the best option
No, not easily.

As for ceramic coatings, these will protect your paint from UV damage and environmental factors (chemical fallout, tar, sap, bird droppings). However, a ceramic coating will not protect a car from being scratched or stone chipped. In theory, the coating will make it easier to clean and therefore safer in regard to removing the above factors.

Protecting paint from scratches or stone chips, Paint Protection Film (PPF) is the only solution.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
..Paint Protection Film (PPF) is the only solution.
And...it's only good for small dings, the bigger ones will tear it and still get the paint.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
It could, would require a P&B shop, really shinney cars folks are trying to duplicate. Have multi layers or heavy coats of clear.

It's physics ....

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
So I made a similar post in a similar thread about black cars a while back, so excuse me for being repetitive :)

My current S550 is the fourth black car I have owned. Each time I say, never again, but then I keep buying them, because nothing beats the look of a clean black car.

The secret to black car happiness is learning to live with the inevitable flaws. The only way to guarantee that you will maintain a pristine finish is to keep your car in climate controlled velvet lined trailer with filtered air. If you drive, it will get dirty and pick up marks.

I only skimmed the 8 pages on this thread, but there is a lot of great advice which will help you to minimize self inflicted wounds. But I have also learned that it is equally important to accept the inevitable flaws and mars that black cars amplify so perfectly as badges of honor for a car that is actually driven. Otherwise, the only thing you end up driving is yourself crazy.
Sponsored