My experience with the MT82 - Brackets, Springs, Shifters, Lines, and Fluids

Wamp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Collin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Hey guys. Been reading on this form for a while, but haven’t contributed much. Haven’t seen many threads fully logging their MT82 modding experiences… so here we go.

Platform
2015 Mustang GT PP Premium
Stock MT82 + Clutch
315x35x20 NT05R
Stock suspension

6DECEDA8-1844-4B5A-A5E4-79180FFDF978.jpeg

Got the car with a bone stock trans. A few bolt ons and sticky tires. Nothing crazy.

Stock
From the factory, the shifter had a very “mushy” feel. The best way I can describe it is the shifter could be flexed left or right, even while in gear (when theoretically it should be held still) This made shifting imprecise, as the shifter wasn’t being held still. I didn’t drive or shift hard while stock, so I can’t speak for lockout, but I frequently “missed” gears or got into the wrong gear. There was also some grinding into 2nd and 3rd, even at 3k rpm shifts (better described as a nibble. You’d just feel the edges of the gear as the clutch tried to match the RPM’s. Similar feeling if you try going into gear with clutch half depressed).

Steeda Clutch Assist Spring
First mod was the Steeda clutch spring. Cost about $25 and took about 30 mins to install, start to finish (make sure you have needle-nose vice grips. Not sure if there’s another name for these… these are an absolute lifesaver). No issues with install. Wondered if I would regret not buying the Steeda perch, and no regrets. You can probably skip the perch if fours careful (it triples the price, and doesn’t add much of a benefit).

AB493575-D77B-4CA3-8716-8CA4D12B9784.jpeg

To be honest, I expected more of a difference. It’s easier to “feel” the clutch engagement, and I totally recommend it for the low price and ease of install… but don’t expect a night and day difference.

Steeda Shifter Bracket
The second mod I did was the Steeda shifter bracket (Spoiler, this DID make a huge difference). I bought this for 40 bucks used on eBay. Install was a bit of a pain without proper tools (really need flex sockets/wobble extensions) but May have been way better easier if I dropped the exhaust or driveshaft. Total install time about an hour.

This tightened up the sloppiness of the shifter by a lot, because it was held in place bu a decent poly bushing instead of the floaty rubber bushing and bracket. Only a slight uptick in NVH (mostly feel of vibration through shift handle) but nothing to write home about. I clicked into gears much more precisely. Absolutely a good mod.

Whiteline Transmission Bushing
Next mod was the whiteline trans bushing insert. About 30 bucks. I drilled the 3/4 inch hole in the middle, as lots of people suggested. This install was the easiest of all the mods, about 30 mins total.

72F25790-E8E3-4323-8B53-973FFDEE3053.jpeg

3A0AAEA8-E01D-4C6F-8BB4-AEB11D94C7C2.jpeg

To be honest, I’m not thrilled with this one. It did tighten things up just a little, but again, nothing significant. Very noticeable increase in NVH with this one. It’s not a bad buy for the price, but I’m not sure the added NVH is worth the benefits.

Ok, so 3 mods so far. At this point, I started driving a little more aggressively. Wore out my Nitto NTO5R’s and swapped for 555G2. Much better in the rain, wear is excellent, still grips very well. Started experiencing some serious issues with lockout above 6500 RPM.

At this point I did full BMR drag suspension (minus toe links), RTR Shocks/struts (Relabled Koni Yellow), and Steeda Diff bushings. Shouldn’t affect trans behavior, but worth noting.

3BC88B25-44D2-443E-8E57-A0C25D35A1B2.jpeg

Steeda Triax Shift Lever
Next mod was Steeda short throw shift lever. Cheapest shifter in the game, but still gives a 20% reduction in throw. Install was a bear (I think it was about 5 hours on Jack stands) and would not really be possible without dropping both the exhaust and driveshaft (unless you’re a mechanical prodigy). The hardest part was prying open the shifter box itself, a problem not described online anywhere I could find. Couldn’t get it open, had to drop the exhaust and driveshaft just the tools in the right places. Installed the shift lever backwards (the set screw on the Steeda lever is on the OPPOSITE SIDE of the factory setscrew) and had to drill the collar to make the lockout function correctly… wasn’t about to uninstall, flip the lever, and reinstall after spending 3h on the stock lever uninstall. Also installed Steeda shifter ball.

98CDE34F-8508-4E04-8F88-98C5101226D4.jpeg

This install follows the pattern of the rest… I wasn’t blown away. The 20% reduction in throw is nice - but the shifter behaves exactly the same as before, just slightly shorter. I knew that’s what I was buying, I just didn’t realize it was going to be so many hours invested for just a 20% throw reduction. If I was doing this again, I would have saved for the MGW. If you’re going to do a difficult install, just suck it up, save it up, and buy the expensive part. This shift lever did not change anything at all except the throw length… Steeda website advertises reduction in NVH, but I didn’t notice this at all.

I took it to the track at this point. Made 5 passes. Shifting at 7000 RPM, I got locked out of gears on 3 of 5 runs (one run I was actually locked out of 2 gears)!

McLeod Braided Stainless Clutch Line
Decided it was time to change the clutch line. Opted for a McLeod stainless line, about 60 bucks. Install wasn’t terrible (1.5h) but not a cakewalk. I had forgotten what brake fluid tasted like, and wasn’t prepared to be reminded. 2 tips: route the line back to the firewall, so the extra line isn’t hanging on the headers, and make sure the bottom fitting is fully seated in the trans. There will be *2 clicks*, not 1. The line will only push in 2 clicks when the fitting is perfectly straight up and down. 3 times I installed the lower fitting with only 1 click - and 3 times the line popped off as I started pumping the pedal to bleed. Make sure there’s 2 clicks, or you’ll have brake fluid for hair gel. Took about 300 pumps to fully bleed the system.
All I can say is wow - this install was one of the best things I did for my trans. If I could go back in time, I would do this as soon as I bought my mustang. I can reliably shift at 7000 and the trans doesn’t grind half as much. It feels like the clutch was only engaging 90% of the way before, and now it fully engages. Clutch feel is more linear and consistent also. I never push the pedal in and feel like the clutch isn’t engaging like it should.

Steeda Clutch Feed Line
Saw my factory line was seeping (right side of master cylinder) and decided to replace. $20 for piece of mind. No change to drivability - line just doesn’t slip any more. Worth doing, but took about an hour. Clips are difficult.

B1CA2245-6E42-4455-AD96-40D1E3DB3B15.jpeg

Fluid Change - Royal Purple Synchromax
Last mod I did was the royal purple synchromax. 3x liters and a squeeze pump cost me 50 bucks O’Reily. Very straightforward - it‘s just like an oil change with a hard to reach fill hole. Took about an hour, wheels up to wheels down. A little dirty. Definitely recommend buying a push down style pump instead of the red squeeze ball… the cheap pump gets the job done, but you’ll get messy.

This seemed to clean up the “edginess” of the trans by a lot. No more nibble going into gears. It doesn’t shift like butter (stock clutch, no aftermarket shift assembly) but is far far better than before.

Lockout isn’t entirely gone, but I haven’t been locked out at 6500, and I can almost always shift at 7000 without lockout. I’m procrastinating on the clutch, given the cost and install time. I’m guessing the clutch will go out at some point, as I have a tendency to 7k shift at least once a day. Will go Mantic when the time comes.

Thanks for reading. Hoping this helped somebody. Leave me any questions or suggestions below.

Wamp

October 2021 Update:

McLeod RST + FTBR Bracket + BG Synchroshift

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...shifters-lines-and-fluids.162059/post-3383037
Sponsored

Last edited:

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
... while I am a 2021 and have no problem whatsoever shifting high rpm, I really appreciated reading this post. Thanks for putting the details out there.

spaz mk will

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Your realization that just getting an MGW to begin with is the same as mine, just a different journey.

I started with a Barton shifter bracket, which replaces the soft rubber bushing holding the shifter to the body. It solved most of my issues including the annoying delay of high rpm shifts, where it just “doesn’t” want to go into 2. I never had actual lockout before this install.

Still looking for some better feel and hopefully a way to solve another problem: downshifting to 2 in lower speed situations while turning. The misaligned shifter to transmission made that slow and inconsistent similar to high RPM.

I read poor feedback on inserts like what you stated: High nvh. So I got the 60d boomba transmission mount (not shifter). Helps a lot with 1-2 and 3-2 shift consistency. Noticeable but not bad NVH increase, it does take a few days and heat cycles to calm down though. It was Loud the first few drives. Adds some vibration in the floor pan, especially on decel in lower gears. But it was an easy install and fixed my problem, and I think better than an insert would have.

Now I’m around $250 into transmission parts and regret this path vs just buying an MGW to begin with. I’ve spent plenty on this car otherwise, and definitely fell victim of sunk cost on that Barton bracket (it was my first modification). For anyone who has read this far: Just get the MGW, full stop.

I have both a clutch line and the steeda supply line down for future purchases. Glad to hear they’re helpful and noticeable improvements.

samanosuke47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
hmm, just now hearing of the MGW... (did a google and am assuming this MGW is what is meant?)

Now I'm curious how it compares with my existing Barton Hybrid 3 bookmark.

Anyone have any thoughts? My initial impressions are it looks a little more expensive, but I'm intrigued by the 'race spec' description on this. And... I mean end of the day you get what you pay for. I've heard great things about that Barton, and admittantly do like the flat stick appearance haha.

I've not yet made this type of journey on the MT-82, but I'm already leaning to yeah, sucking it up and going for a full shifter assembly rather than a collection of mods, though the stainless steel line and fluid change are likely in my near future at least.

Another limiting factor for me at this time is small apartment garage... lol

Thanks!

Sponsored

CoolRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I've done the MGW/BG Synchro shift II/Steeda clutch spring recipe on two different S550's and it's a night and day difference. I would recommend spending the money and going this route. Otherwise you are just band-aiding the issues.

I've heard good things about the Barton as well but read on here somewhere the MGW is slightly easier to install so I went that route and never looked back.

Admittingly it is a real shame Ford can't get the shifter right on a $40-50K car and that you need to spend another $500+ to correct it, but at least it can be corrected.

Inconsis10t

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt K6137
So I have done the Steeda clutch spring, Boomba 60D trans mount and I have the MGW Xspec shifter.

It is a major improvement but I wish I had gone with the 70D trans mount as it did help some of the slop and I honestly can't tell if it added an NVH at all.

I did come from a WRX which NVH is part of the package so I might just not even notice it as much as others would.

Next plan is to do the trans fluid and chassis stiffening.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
I've done the MGW/BG Synchro shift II/Steeda clutch spring recipe on two different S550's and it's a night and day difference. I would recommend spending the money and going this route. Otherwise you are just band-aiding the issues.
This. Just get the MGW and be done with it.

Whitest Russian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I'd get the MGW shifter if they ever make a lift-to-reverse version. When I contacted their support they said they had no plans to make one though.

Would Barton be my only option?

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
I'd get the MGW shifter if they ever make a lift-to-reverse version. When I contacted their support they said they had no plans to make one though.

Would Barton be my only option?
Honestly, your gripe is that reverse has a 'push' lockout instead of a 'pull'? At least tell me you appreciate how silly this complaint is.

Sponsored

Pilafiction

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT
Just move to a 2020 Mustang GT with the updated 6 speed from a 2015 Mustang GT with that 6 speed.

While I was never really critical of the 2015 6 speed transmission, the 2020 version is a huge improvement. Slips into gears like 3rd, shorter throws, rev matching and just feels so much better.

I believe the clutch is also different/better or improved in the 2020 as well. My 2015 was sold with 3150 miles so it wasn't a milage issue either. The gearing is different and too early to say if that's a plus or minus.

OP
OP
Wamp

Wamp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Collin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Just move to a 2020 Mustang GT with the updated 6 speed from a 2015 Mustang GT with that 6 speed.

While I was never really critical of the 2015 6 speed transmission, the 2020 version is a huge improvement. Slips into gears like 3rd, shorter throws, rev matching and just feels so much better.

I believe the clutch is also different/better or improved in the 2020 as well. My 2015 was sold with 3150 miles so it wasn't a milage issue either. The gearing is different and too early to say if that's a plus or minus.

I’m glad to hear they’ve addressed the clutch. I’ve heard others talk about the updates… Ford had so many issues to address with this trans and clutch.

I’m at 32K and the clutch is so frustrating. The lockout issue seems to be quickly returning as the clutch wears.

Below 5k RPMs, I love this setup. Feels almost perfect (still wish I did the MGW…).

Above 6500? Forget about it. Once I finished all the above installs, I was shifting pretty reliably at 7k. But it seems the lockout issue is getting worse as the clutch wears. Granted, I’m not kind to my car, but I don’t drive like a bonehead. The other day I was locked out of 3rd at 6300 😒

Pilafiction

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT
I’m glad to hear they’ve addressed the clutch. I’ve heard others talk about the updates… Ford had so many issues to address with this trans and clutch.

I’m at 32K and the clutch is so frustrating. The lockout issue seems to be quickly returning as the clutch wears.

Below 5k RPMs, I love this setup. Feels almost perfect (still wish I did the MGW…).

Above 6500? Forget about it. Once I finished all the above installs, I was shifting pretty reliably at 7k. But it seems the lockout issue is getting worse as the clutch wears. Granted, I’m not kind to my car, but I don’t drive like a bonehead. The other day I was locked out of 3rd at 6300 😒
I read somewhere that 2019-2020 Mustang GTs now use the GT350 clutch. Also if you were to upgrade to the M82-D4 (2018 or 2019 on) you also have to change out the clutch this is per Stress.

According to Steeds the M82-D4 6 speed from 2018 on does require a different clutch. I read somewhere that 2018+ Mustang GTs now use GT350 clutch.

Screenshot_20210420-214235_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
Wamp

Wamp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Collin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I read somewhere that 2019-2020 Mustang GTs now use the GT350 clutch. Also if you were to upgrade to the M82-D4 (2018 or 2019 on) you also have to change out the clutch this is per Stress.

According to Steeds the M82-D4 6 speed from 2018 on does require a different clutch. I read somewhere that 2018+ Mustang GTs now use GT350 clutch.

Screenshot_20210420-214235_Chrome.jpg
Makes sense. Glad they decided to dump the clutch.

Gonna have to do my clutch at some point. Install is a pain, but I’d rather do that than deal with the lockout.
Sponsored