Sponsored

My Experience With Magnaflows Warranty/Customer Service

HGFireHazard

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I feel like if they were just trying to make sure they weren't being scammed they could have asked you to send some detailed pictures of the problem, and then once they verified this was a legitimate issue they should have shipped a replacement directly to your residence so you could have handled the issue, and then after the swap send them the old system back.

I absolutely feel for you on the having no time to deal with crap. More often than not I'm at the mercy of anyone I have to deal with to help me with scheduling because my job is I work until the job is done, and I don't know if I'm going to get a few hours off until at best 12 hours before. It seems Magnaflow could have done a variety of things differently here.
Sponsored

OP
OP
sqidd

sqidd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots Of Mustangs
I was planning on ordering Magnaflows, soon as my car is delivered, not now, I'm looking for a different System.

Magnaflow, you blew it, this guy has alot respect on these Mustang Boards, his recommendation's carry a lot of weight, especially to the average Joe like myself...I like your sound but won't risk an ordeal if it goes south.

Sqidd...Let us know when you find a good sounding muffler similar to the MagnaNOs-->:thumbdown:

BTW, Very well written explanation, of your nightmare, thanks for sharing this most valuable information-->:thumbsup:
I hate to say it but I'm glad I took the time to steer people away. It isn't to punish Magnaflow but to help my fellow Mustang community. They make a nice product and I like their sound. But for the $$$ they charge I just can't put up with the "we don't need you" attitude from them. There are plenty of smaller companies (I would really rather support a smaller shop) out there that offer products just as good.

Now I have to figure out what stuff to go with. I'm going to check in with the guys at MRT. They are local to me. I went to their shop this spring for a car show. Nice guys, good looking stuff, small business, etc. I need to take a listen to their offerings though. I haven't paid much attention.

mj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 Fords, 1 Mazda, 1 Mercury
Am I missing something here, or maybe reading it wrong? You expected Magnaflow to send you a new exhaust based on you telling them your current exhaust was defective, without giving them any proof? Even you sending a photo of your exhaust could be faked.

Any time I've had a defective product of any sort, I would have to return the defective part before getting an exchange.

Maybe I'm just not getting it......

Sponsored

Flak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SVT Fusion Coupe
Am I missing something here, or maybe reading it wrong? You expected Magnaflow just to send you a new exhaust based on you telling them your current exhaust was defective, without giving them any proof? Even you sending a photo of your exhaust could be faked.

Any time I've had a defective product of any sort, I would have to return the defective part before getting an exchange.

Maybe I'm just not getting it......
That isn't uncommon for critical components in many industries. They usually just bill you if you don't return the defective piece. I've been over-nighted everything from $5 to $30K pieces of computer equipment before, both corporate and personal. These are the companies I do a lot of business with, because of their support. I'm sure you can find plenty of manufacturers that mirror Walmart in return policy, but I don't use them when I can avoid them. It is certainly a bad move for 'niche' companies like performance car parts.

mj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 Fords, 1 Mazda, 1 Mercury
OK, I understand this, and would do repeat business with those companies as well.

Perhaps Magnaflow should've done the "bill you if you don't return the defective piece" with sqidd, but there's no mention of trying this avenue.

I guess my point is that I've never bought an automotive part with a warranty that the seller would just replace based on my word, even with my promise to return the defective part with no financial guarantee that I'd do so. Maybe I'm doing business with the wrong companies!

Flak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SVT Fusion Coupe
OK, I understand this, and would do repeat business with those companies as well.

Perhaps Magnaflow should've done the "bill you if you don't return the defective piece" with sqidd, but there's no mention of trying this avenue.

I guess my point is that I've never bought an automotive part with a warranty that the seller would just replace based on my word, even with my promise to return the defective part with no financial guarantee that I'd do so. Maybe I'm doing business with the wrong companies!
I really haven't had any experiences with car part manufacturers so I can't comment if it's common in automotive... but for a 'niche' production company it sounds like a damaging practice when your clientele tend to be your best source of referrals.

e30og

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport
this could have been solved with pics, but whatever

Not buying magnaflow, thanks to the OP, Ill be looking elsewhere for my EB

Qwkynuf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT
While I understand your frustration, and agree that Magnaflow definitely could have handled the situation better, I really feel like someone should point out that the distance to the shop where you purchased, and the distance to the place that you chose to store your factory pieces are not Magnaflow's concern, and shouldn't factor into the conversation.

You can't hold them responsible for choices that you made.

I would be interested to read their warranty document - does it specify that defective equipment must be returned? Does it specify that warranty claims must be made through the installing dealer? If it says those things in the warranty document, then that is what you agreed to when you bought the merchandise. And if that is the case, it seems kind of crappy to trash them on the internet because they weren't willing to give you special treatment. If it doesn't say those things though, fire away.....

Sponsored

Swoope

Zoom-Freakin'-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
15 GTI PP / 04 Rx8 track car
While I understand your frustration, and agree that Magnaflow definitely could have handled the situation better, I really feel like someone should point out that the distance to the shop where you purchased, and the distance to the place that you chose to store your factory pieces are not Magnaflow's concern, and shouldn't factor into the conversation.

You can't hold them responsible for choices that you made.

I would be interested to read their warranty document - does it specify that defective equipment must be returned? Does it specify that warranty claims must be made through the installing dealer? If it says those things in the warranty document, then that is what you agreed to when you bought the merchandise. And if that is the case, it seems kind of crappy to trash them on the internet because they weren't willing to give you special treatment. If it doesn't say those things though, fire away.....
are you implying that if you install it yourself, as many here will, you are not eligible for warranty?

beers

Qwkynuf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT
are you implying that if you install it yourself, as many here will, you are not eligible for warranty?

beers
Not at all. I am *asking* what the warranty says. The OP's original post suggested that he had it installed by a shop - one that was more than 2 hours away, and indicated that it was an inconvenience to him that Magnaflow required that the claim be submitted through them.

If that requirement is enumerated is enumerated in the warranty documentation provided to the end user at the time of purchase, then it shouldn't come as a surprise when they require that.

I am just curious to know what it says.

Qwkynuf

Qwkynuf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT
Ok, I got curious, so I went and looked. It took me less than a minute to find warranty information on Magnaflow's website: http://www.magnaflow.com/warranty/index.asp

In the 3rd paragraph, it says (in its entirety):

The warranty certificate, along with proof of purchase, MUST be presented to the service outlet from which you originally purchased the exhaust product, or any participating dealer, when making a claim for replacement. The original exhaust product must also be returned and exchanged for a new exhaust product of the same part number. (emphasis mine)

Hmm....

* MUST be presented to the service outlet from which you originally purchased the exhaust product
* OR any participating dealer
* The original exhaust product must also be returned and exchanged for a new exhaust product of the same part number.

What was the question?

Oh, now I remember - the OP was upset because Magnaflow wanted him to submit his claim to the dealer where he purchased the exhaust, and that he had to return the defective one. And then he wanted them to throw him a bone because he followed the terms that he agreed to when he bought the parts.

The warranty also specifically excludes "cost of labor and any additional parts required to complete installation of a replacement product are not covered by this warranty." And "The manufacturer does not assume any responsibility for any consequential damages occurred by the exhaust product, or inconvenience or interruption in any operation."

So, as I said in my original post - I get that the OP is frustrated. I get that things didn't work out the way that he wanted them to. I get that he was inconvenienced. I even agree that the situation could have been handled better by Magnaflow - maybe they could have directed him to a nearer "participating dealer". If the interactions actually went the way that he described them, then yes, the customer service was less than ideal. But according to his own words and the text of the warranty document, he got exactly what he paid for.

Flexibility on the part of a vendor is a desirable thing. If I were in a situation where I was choosing between two otherwise identical options, and I was aware that one of the manufacturers had a reputation for going out of their way for customer service... that would probably heavily influence my decision. But a story like this, with all of the facts in hand, sure wouldn't steer me away from an option.

Qwkynuf

e30og

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport
Ok, I got curious, ...

...Flexibility on the part of a vendor is a desirable thing. If I were in a situation where I was choosing between two otherwise identical options, and I was aware that one of the manufacturers had a reputation for going out of their way for customer service... that would probably heavily influence my decision. But a story like this, with all of the facts in hand, sure wouldn't steer me away from an option.

Qwkynuf
If i were choosing between two things and one manufacturer has a reputation for not going out of their way for customer service (which is what was shown in this example), I wont give them my hard earned paper.

Everyone sells exhausts with warranties. sure Magnaflow was going by the rules. I like to work with companies that will bend them to keep you around, especially if I were proposing reasonable solutions and I wasnt a jackass about it.

and on that note, F magnaflow even more, this dude has several systems from them. Hes not a first time customer, they should have done something

Swoope

Zoom-Freakin'-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
15 GTI PP / 04 Rx8 track car
Ok, I got curious, so I went and looked. It took me less than a minute to find warranty information on Magnaflow's website: http://www.magnaflow.com/warranty/index.asp

In the 3rd paragraph, it says (in its entirety):

The warranty certificate, along with proof of purchase, MUST be presented to the service outlet from which you originally purchased the exhaust product, or any participating dealer, when making a claim for replacement. The original exhaust product must also be returned and exchanged for a new exhaust product of the same part number. (emphasis mine)

Hmm....

* MUST be presented to the service outlet from which you originally purchased the exhaust product
* OR any participating dealer
* The original exhaust product must also be returned and exchanged for a new exhaust product of the same part number.

What was the question?

Oh, now I remember - the OP was upset because Magnaflow wanted him to submit his claim to the dealer where he purchased the exhaust, and that he had to return the defective one. And then he wanted them to throw him a bone because he followed the terms that he agreed to when he bought the parts.

The warranty also specifically excludes "cost of labor and any additional parts required to complete installation of a replacement product are not covered by this warranty." And "The manufacturer does not assume any responsibility for any consequential damages occurred by the exhaust product, or inconvenience or interruption in any operation."

So, as I said in my original post - I get that the OP is frustrated. I get that things didn't work out the way that he wanted them to. I get that he was inconvenienced. I even agree that the situation could have been handled better by Magnaflow - maybe they could have directed him to a nearer "participating dealer". If the interactions actually went the way that he described them, then yes, the customer service was less than ideal. But according to his own words and the text of the warranty document, he got exactly what he paid for.

Flexibility on the part of a vendor is a desirable thing. If I were in a situation where I was choosing between two otherwise identical options, and I was aware that one of the manufacturers had a reputation for going out of their way for customer service... that would probably heavily influence my decision. But a story like this, with all of the facts in hand, sure wouldn't steer me away from an option.

Qwkynuf
super great reading skills..

but most here are likely to do it them self. the op did have someone else install it but due to circumstances chose to do the warranty part himself. he was not trying to recover labor. just defective parts..

i had this issue with a set of tockio shocks.. i did have to get the seller involved but tockio ended up taking care of it directly with me as i did the install..

so far all the exhausts have been meh, and i will bet magnaflow will be meh-. this just helps.

beers
Sponsored