My easy fix for the sound tube

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
I'm not buying a "kit" nor did I want to mess with all of the clips and snaps and I've read of the difficulty in removing the tube from the firewall, so I took a different approach.

I removed the tube from the intake (one simple clamp) and shoved a wine cork in there. It's just about the right size.

Naturally, it fell through and into the intake. So I took all that out, fished it out and wrapped some electrical tape around the cork to make it a little fatter, and conical while I was at it, and shoved it back in. It's stuck good. Problem solved, and it took all of 5 minutes. It would have taken 2 minutes except for the falling into the hole part.

Use a synthetic cork, as it's less likely to disintegrate and destroy your engine.

Now, for you beer drinkers, you'll have to find something else. I guess I could sell a kit for teetotalers. Just $5 (plus shipping) and I'll make and ship you a custom designed sound tube restriction device. Specify a preference for white or red wine. LOL
Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Good idea. I'll keep that in mind.
Though I had decided to remove the sound tube upon taking possession of the car, I wasn't really looking forward to the procedure, having read that it's a bit difficult and requires extra parts to buy. This sounds like a pretty neat trick. :like:

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
The sound tube took me 2 seconds to yank out of the firewall. I didn't mess with that 10mm but everybody spends all day getting to

Cheatham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, Iconic Silver, Perf.Pack. 6 spd
I have discovered that I could use a 1/4in drive ratchet and deep socket and ran my arm down along the side of the head I could easily unbolt and remove and go back and install the nut with my fingers, I tried all the extensions and swivels and it was a no-go, as long as you don't have Dorian Yates forarms it is fairly a simple route down along the head to that bolt

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not buying a "kit" nor did I want to mess with all of the clips and snaps and I've read of the difficulty in removing the tube from the firewall, so I took a different approach.

I removed the tube from the intake (one simple clamp) and shoved a wine cork in there. It's just about the right size.

Naturally, it fell through and into the intake. So I took all that out, fished it out and wrapped some electrical tape around the cork to make it a little fatter, and conical while I was at it, and shoved it back in. It's stuck good. Problem solved, and it took all of 5 minutes. It would have taken 2 minutes except for the falling into the hole part.

Use a synthetic cork, as it's less likely to disintegrate and destroy your engine.

Now, for you beer drinkers, you'll have to find something else. I guess I could sell a kit for teetotalers. Just $5 (plus shipping) and I'll make and ship you a custom designed sound tube restriction device. Specify a preference for white or red wine. LOL
We don't care that much about "cleaning up" the under-hood appearance, do we. My solution was very like yours, but I bought a package of domed plugs from Pep Boys, used three of them so far. I added a very small, very shiny self-tapping brass screw to secure the plugs. Probably not necessary, but added a little point of "What the heck is that for?" interest.

Sponsored

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I would say if the heat or what ever happens to do anything to that cork and sucks it in you are in trouble. I simple dollar rubber chair leg stopper from home depot fits right over the opening and you just slip the clamp back on. I had my sound tube off and a plug on it in less then 5 mins and spent a buck. not sure how so many make such a big ordeal of this.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Yes it does take some time and a wrench (owner) to remove the sound tube. Spent more time doing that then the CIA install itself.

Was it worth the time and challenge.......... I think so.

Armageddon Turbo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Leroy
Vehicle(s)
Twin Turbo 2014 Mustang GT

Interesting fix..

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored
OP
OP
BimmerDriver

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
$4 pack of 1" rubber chair leg caps work perfectly. Available from HD, Lowes.
I hope everyone realizes that I was kidding when I wrote that I would sell a "kit" for $5. Hmmm, maybe not.

We don't care that much about "cleaning up" the under-hood appearance, do we.
No, we don't. Is that sarcasm? Funny enough, this is probably the tenth car that I've bought that I never opened the hood to gaze at the engine before purchasing. Seriously. I know there's one in there, and I don't really care what it looks like. That may come from owning a few Porsche 911, where there's nothing to see anyway.

I added a very small, very shiny self-tapping brass screw to secure the plugs.
I would say if the heat or what ever happens to do anything to that cork and sucks it in you are in trouble.
Yeah, I have thought about what if it gets sucked in, and that little screw idea sounds pretty good. Electrical tape does tend to melt under high heat.