My easy fix for the sound tube

BimmerDriver

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
BMW, S550 GT magnetic w/3 pedals
I'm not buying a "kit" nor did I want to mess with all of the clips and snaps and I've read of the difficulty in removing the tube from the firewall, so I took a different approach.

I removed the tube from the intake (one simple clamp) and shoved a wine cork in there. It's just about the right size.

Naturally, it fell through and into the intake. So I took all that out, fished it out and wrapped some electrical tape around the cork to make it a little fatter, and conical while I was at it, and shoved it back in. It's stuck good. Problem solved, and it took all of 5 minutes. It would have taken 2 minutes except for the falling into the hole part.

Use a synthetic cork, as it's less likely to disintegrate and destroy your engine.

Now, for you beer drinkers, you'll have to find something else. I guess I could sell a kit for teetotalers. Just $5 (plus shipping) and I'll make and ship you a custom designed sound tube restriction device. Specify a preference for white or red wine. LOL

Advertisement

Vlad Soare

Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Good idea. I'll keep that in mind.
Though I had decided to remove the sound tube upon taking possession of the car, I wasn't really looking forward to the procedure, having read that it's a bit difficult and requires extra parts to buy. This sounds like a pretty neat trick. :like:

dn1984

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
The sound tube took me 2 seconds to yank out of the firewall. I didn't mess with that 10mm but everybody spends all day getting to

Cheatham

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, Race red w/black accent Packge.
I have discovered that I could use a 1/4in drive ratchet and deep socket and ran my arm down along the side of the head I could easily unbolt and remove and go back and install the nut with my fingers, I tried all the extensions and swivels and it was a no-go, as long as you don't have Dorian Yates forarms it is fairly a simple route down along the head to that bolt

frank s

Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2019 Magnetic EcoBoost™ Convertible with MagneRide® suspension
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not buying a "kit" nor did I want to mess with all of the clips and snaps and I've read of the difficulty in removing the tube from the firewall, so I took a different approach.

I removed the tube from the intake (one simple clamp) and shoved a wine cork in there. It's just about the right size.

Naturally, it fell through and into the intake. So I took all that out, fished it out and wrapped some electrical tape around the cork to make it a little fatter, and conical while I was at it, and shoved it back in. It's stuck good. Problem solved, and it took all of 5 minutes. It would have taken 2 minutes except for the falling into the hole part.

Use a synthetic cork, as it's less likely to disintegrate and destroy your engine.

Now, for you beer drinkers, you'll have to find something else. I guess I could sell a kit for teetotalers. Just $5 (plus shipping) and I'll make and ship you a custom designed sound tube restriction device. Specify a preference for white or red wine. LOL
We don't care that much about "cleaning up" the under-hood appearance, do we. My solution was very like yours, but I bought a package of domed plugs from Pep Boys, used three of them so far. I added a very small, very shiny self-tapping brass screw to secure the plugs. Probably not necessary, but added a little point of "What the heck is that for?" interest.

Briebee72

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I would say if the heat or what ever happens to do anything to that cork and sucks it in you are in trouble. I simple dollar rubber chair leg stopper from home depot fits right over the opening and you just slip the clamp back on. I had my sound tube off and a plug on it in less then 5 mins and spent a buck. not sure how so many make such a big ordeal of this.

Rapid Red

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
RaceRed>GT PP2 >RXCAIL2
Vehicle Showcase
Yes it does take some time and a wrench (owner) to remove the sound tube. Spent more time doing that then the CIA install itself.

Was it worth the time and challenge.......... I think so.

Armageddon Turbo

Reaction score
First Name
Leroy
Vehicle(s)
Twin Turbo 2014 Mustang GT

Interesting fix..

OP
BimmerDriver

BimmerDriver

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
BMW, S550 GT magnetic w/3 pedals
$4 pack of 1" rubber chair leg caps work perfectly. Available from HD, Lowes.
I hope everyone realizes that I was kidding when I wrote that I would sell a "kit" for $5. Hmmm, maybe not.

We don't care that much about "cleaning up" the under-hood appearance, do we.
No, we don't. Is that sarcasm? Funny enough, this is probably the tenth car that I've bought that I never opened the hood to gaze at the engine before purchasing. Seriously. I know there's one in there, and I don't really care what it looks like. That may come from owning a few Porsche 911, where there's nothing to see anyway.

I added a very small, very shiny self-tapping brass screw to secure the plugs.
I would say if the heat or what ever happens to do anything to that cork and sucks it in you are in trouble.
Yeah, I have thought about what if it gets sucked in, and that little screw idea sounds pretty good. Electrical tape does tend to melt under high heat.

Advertisement

199 - Racer X Fabrication

Advertisement