Sponsored

My Custom Audio Build

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Im not an audiophile by any means but I had a lot of assistance from my friend at work in parts selection and project direction. He has his own custom home theater setup and hes done a lot of software modeling to verify parts selection and performance. All of this stuff was way over my head. He will also be doing the DSP and system tuning after the install. I will only be pulling the front left and front right signals off the factory head unit to send to the MiniDSPs. I've ordered the following parts and will be installing them over the next couple of weeks. Total the system is running less than $1500 which is around what I originally budgeted and cheaper than 401A package.

Amplifier: JL AUDIO XD800/8v2 8-channel
Front Woofers: Dayton Audio RS180P-4 7"
Front Midrange: Dayton Audio RS100P-4 4" edit: Scanspeak Discovery 10F/4424G in post #87. MUCH better than these daytons for imaging
Front Tweeters: SEAS Prestige 27TFFNC/G
Rear Subwoofers: Dayton Audio LS10-44 10"
DSP: 2x MiniDSP 2x4 + MiniDC isolator + MiniDSP 4-way crossover plug-in

I did not want any sub enclosure in my trunk so the subs will be mounted under the rear deck with a spacer. The low profile size was a good application so it doesnt intrude on trunk space

It's been well over 10 years since I did an aftermarket system in a car. My last two cars were purchased with the factory Mark Levinson audio systems so I wouldnt have to upgrade. After hearing how lackluster the Shaker Pro one is in the Mustang I didnt bother with it and decided on doing aftermarket. I will try to take some pictures as I install the parts.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ap8823

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium
Pictures? Sub'd interesting.. How did you wire everything up with the existing amps

essque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
That's going to be a devastating front sound stage once you get it dialed in. I'm interested to see how everything will be mounted in the door panels and rear deck. Good luck with the install and of course post pics/vids!

Sponsored

OP
OP

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
I bought the proper molex connector to wire up to the head unit signals, which I will be sending by RCA to the MiniDSPs. Only utilizing front left/right signals from the head unit.

Still waiting for parts. My 6.5" woofers were backordered for over a couple weeks which may arrive next week :frusty: Spacers came in today, the amp maybe tomorrow, hopefully amp wires this week. I have spacers for the subs, woofers, and mids. The door speakers and tweeters are going to be mounted similar to how they are stock which uses plastic spacers. The subwoofers will be mounted below the rear deck. Plenty of free space underneath and the low profile wont hog my trunk space. Subs are dual 4ohm coils they are going to be wired in parallel to be 2ohm. The amp supplies can do 75Wx8 @ 4ohm or 100Wx8 @ 2ohm. This weekend I will try to pre run all the wiring. When more parts come in I'll take some pics

Our first choice was Anarchy woofers but they have a wide and deep magnet. It fits fine...when the window isnt rolled all the way down. Went with the Dayton woofers so there isnt glass interference.

Last edited:

smdandb2

ManBearPig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Corolla SE
I think you will be really happy with the sound.

I'm finally getting my Hertz Milles dialed in to my liking, and I am just amazed. The only thing I would have done differently is actually had the a-pillars fiberglassed and angled the tweeters. I sit back so far that I am certainly having off-axis response issues with the drivers side tweeter. Nothing a bit of EQ'ing can't handle though.

OP
OP

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Last edited:
OP
OP

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
amp came in today. Time to start burning them in! Loaded the MiniDSPs with basic 4 way crossover settings. Found a post school use for my engineering books

Last edited:
OP
OP

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
mounted amp, both MiniDSPs, MiniDC isolator, and RCA interconnects. Had a spare piece of particle board and used trunk liner carpeting to create a secure mount to the rear seat back.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Dayton Audio midrange speakers with the speaker rings. Had to bore them out to give them some venting and fitment

SEAS Tweeters:

Dayton Audio Low Profile 10" Subwoofer with speaker ring. Love the fact that this is is less than 3.5" deep

Last edited:

PonyGrrrl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeanne
Vehicle(s)
16 Cadillac ATS V Coupe
OP
OP

ForTehNguyen

Threads