My car was involved in a hit and run...insurance is being a real pain

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
The OP is certainly trying to do something hinky, but the insurance company isn't without a bit of blame. It's basically a trap they have set. They know the damage is unrelated and might be something the owner would overlook (or in this case try and get repaired). They are experts in these matters and this is just one tactic used to deny claims.

In this case I think it is a matter of willful ignorance. The conversation probably went something like...

"Gee, I don't think there was any damage before the accident. I don't remember seeing any really. If there was it must have been from the accident. Maybe there was a Pole or a Czechoslovakian or something it got pushed into, who knows!"

The trap is then set and as soon as they find obvious pre-existing damage the trap is sprung and they stop being all nice and lovey-dovey. Wash - Rinse - Repeat. They do those kinds of things as a matter of business. The OP didn't have a chance.

Also to the OP - They probably recorded your conversations, so be aware they will know exactly what you said. You might indeed want to think about cancelling the claim and getting a new insurance company.
Sounds like the op made a gamble he would scam his way into getting some unrelated repairs done for free, and he's loosing that gamble.

I don't agree at all there's any trap set by them. Insurance would want to know was caused by the accident as that's what they will need to cover, and any other pre-existing damage they will not need to pay for. If my car is hit on the left side and I try to get some bumps and scratches on the right side covered, because blimey, I dunno, I don't think they were there before, I didn't see them, no, sir, not at all. Well, blimey you, somebody might be wanting to take a second look at your claim. Especially if it's their full-time job to look at claims like that.

But good advice from you to the op.
Sponsored

Last edited:

XeninWorX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KC
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
Usually the repair shop will look after you with a good price in this sort of situation, especially when paying cash
Yeah the manager did give me a good price.

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
3 pages so far and no one has mentioned a police report. Hmmmmm..................

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
..., but the insurance company isn't without a bit of blame. It's basically a trap they have set.
Sorry, no, I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. Now, natch, some companies are better than others, and the OP is in Canada eh? So who knows what the rules are over there. But, but... let's try not to be quite so hostile and assume the worst. Insurance adjusters are people. They do this stuff all the time, they have a job to do, and I would suggest that 99% are honest, trustworthy, folks who just want to make the injured party whole again.

What they will do, to varying degrees, is try and identify fraud. There's lots of fraud out there. And if you do or say something unusual or a typical attempt at fraud, then don't be surprised if they investigate it a bit further. But no, it's not a trap and no, they don't start with the attitude that they want to deny your claim. Unless it's Geico. LOL, j/k.

And, although you should never take advice from an Internet forum, especially with insurance, which has different laws in every state and in different countries, I will suggest that before you run off to hire an expensive lawyer, that you first try to escalate a dispute within the company itself. If that fails, write a letter to your state Department of Insurance. They will force the company to justify its actions or lack thereof. If that fails, then you can go see a lawyer, but I'll bet at that point, it's not something that will be financially beneficial to pursue.

Sponsored

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
3 pages so far and no one has mentioned a police report. Hmmmmm..................
Police reports are useless. Insurance companies decide fault and responsibility regardless of any conclusion made by the LEO. All the report does is state the facts. "Car appears damaged. Reporting citizen claims that car was not on fire before someone poured gas on it and lit a match."

Jbraun2828

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt350
At this point does anyone here really believe there was any hit and run that happened? People like this are the exact reason why we pay so much for ins

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
At this point does anyone here really believe there was any hit and run that happened?
Well, the OP does have an interesting history of posts, poor decisions and questionable behavior, and from what I can tell, doesn't even own a Mustang any more. So he should be posting in the Focus forum.

Correction: The Fusion forum. Say that 5 times fast. LOL

Joe B.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Because I think I vaguely remember initially claimed that the damage was due to the accident. (or that the car had no prior damage before this).......(thinking they would fix it all),,,,,,yes my stupiditiy and naivity

Yes, but no harm done, really, just a blunder. OTOH, if you have the proper coverage, what difference does it make how the original crash happened? Something hit you, you hit something, you swerved and crashed to avoid a deer, it should all be the same and covered, I would think.

drive_55_not

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Coyote, S197 3v, 2018 Gen3 [RIP], 2020 Challenger 'Cat
Insurance adjusters are people. They do this stuff all the time, they have a job to do, and I would suggest that 99% are honest, trustworthy, folks who just want to make the injured party whole again.

I agree with you, Without seeing the 'unrelated' damage, Like the Farmer's insurance commercials say, "we've seen a thing er' two' so I'd hazard a guess the damage is not consistant with a hit and run while vehicle was sationary ... and is more consistant with hitting something while vehicle was in motion.

Otherwise other damage would simply be not covered by this claim.

Years ago I filed a claim after some douchbag raped the passenger side bed on my truck. It was pretty obvious another truck/suv had backed out of a parking spot at an angle and their front bumper went right down the side.

I don't recall being asked about other damage at the time but the truck did have scratches and a few dents.

All the insurance covered was replacing the right side bed panel.

As for pulling the claim, Not sure what the laws are in Canada, but I'd hazard a 2nd guess they're the same as here, once the claim is filed it's too late for a mulligan.

Sponsored

drive_55_not

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Coyote, S197 3v, 2018 Gen3 [RIP], 2020 Challenger 'Cat
Yes, but no harm done, really, just a blunder. OTOH, if you have the proper coverage, what difference does it make how the original crash happened? Something hit you, you hit something, you swerved and crashed to avoid a deer, it should all be the same and covered, I would think.
Not really, a local guy crashed his car at the drag strip a few years back and tried the 'swervered to miss a deer' claim,

Yep, that netted him an insurance fraud charge.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
post a pic of the passenger side door. I want to see what all this goddamn fuss is about.

I'm almost positive that will give some insight as to why the insurance company is acting this way.

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
post a pic of the passenger side door. I want to see what all this goddamn fuss is about.
OK, it's not really a dent, it's a scratch. OK, it's not really a scratch, it was vandalized by his ex-girlfriend. OK, she wasn't really his girlfriend. But she's still pissed. He's just not sure if she wrote "loser" on there before or after the alleged hit & run.

OP, LOL, all in good fun.
Sponsored