My car was involved in a hit and run...insurance is being a real pain

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I think the first thing the OP needs to do is to get the story straight. If you start talking to insurance people and you can't make consistent statements you're sunk. Now either the car had dents on it before it went to the body shop or it didn't. Or if they were really minor it's possible you may not have noticed them but I have a hard time believing that especially since you just bought the car recently. Or the body shop further damaged your car?

Figure out which scenario is correct and do not deviate from it.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Insurance investigator " Son you're sure that a pole jumped out and hit that there door twice?"

We're you injured....... LAMO

Last edited:

XeninWorX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KC
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
Yes that's the case.

They asked me if there was any prior damage to my car and I answered "no" (without thinking of the nitty picky)

the worst part about this is that the special investigations unit lady is threatening to deny my entire claim if she finds out that the side passenger dense are unrelated to the hit and run
Why would they deny the claim for the dents on the other side of the car? That makes no sense. You didn’t ask them fix unrelated damages on the opposite side of the car.

OP
OP

Silent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Why would they deny the claim for the dents on the other side of the car? That makes no sense. You didn’t ask them fix unrelated damages on the opposite side of the car.
Because I think I vaguely remember initially claimed that the damage was due to the accident. (or that the car had no prior damage before this).......(thinking they would fix it all),,,,,,yes my stupiditiy and naivity

Sponsored

DmanDmythDlegend

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt pp1
So i am an insurance adjuster, and I will clarify a few things. First, SIU investigator does not determine what is or is not covered. They provide findings, the claims department uses that information to confirm or deny coverage. Second, you should be as forth coming with information as possible, any time claim information goes off the rails SIU gets involved to resolve the discrepancies. When you have an impact down one side of the car then point out damage on the opposite side, that will raise some eye brows. If after consideration you can't say that this damage was part of the loss, you should say as much. They have the ability to deny a specific area of damage and approve the rest if it fits the claims description (just did my self today actually lol). Worst case scenario they say they dont want to offer UMPD and only offer collision coverage but no scenario will they deny the claim entirely.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Because I think I vaguely remember initially claimed that the damage was due to the accident. (or that the car had no prior damage before this).......(thinking they would fix it all),,,,,,yes my stupiditiy and naivity

Ever hear the term "you can put lipstick on a pig and it's still a pig."

Your type make the honest folks of the world pay higher premiums.

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Insurance is a contractual obligation. Go read what you signed in your policy. You have obligations too, not just them. If you break your end, the contract is nullified and they can break theirs. Any misinformation can be considered a breach. As my old AC professor used to say you gotta dance with the girl you brought to the dance. No changing.

Adding damages that aren't consistent with the facts of loss or have obvious separation and different impact signatures are immediate red flags.

XeninWorX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KC
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
Okay, now that makes a little more sense.

I’ve been in a similar situation. A few years ago my car was hit by another car because the other person didn’t check to see if I was in their blindspot and they crashed into my car. Insurance repaired the door and replaced my fender, headlight and front bumper. My hood was undamaged but through the years it’s been stone chipped and dented and rusting. I paid the body shop to get me a new hood and paint it too while they painted the rest of the parts since it was already there. Didn’t try to get the insurance to cover it since it was unrelated.

XeninWorX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KC
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
As my old AC professor used to say you gotta dance with the girl you brought to the dance. No changing.
What if the girl has an evil twin sister and I can’t tell who I’m dancing with?

Sponsored

xSouthSyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic GT
Okay, now that makes a little more sense.

I’ve been in a similar situation. A few years ago my car was hit by another car because the other person didn’t check to see if I was in their blindspot and they crashed into my car. Insurance repaired the door and replaced my fender, headlight and front bumper. My hood was undamaged but through the years it’s been stone chipped and dented and rusting. I paid the body shop to get me a new hood and paint it too while they painted the rest of the parts since it was already there. Didn’t try to get the insurance to cover it since it was unrelated.
Usually the repair shop will look after you with a good price in this sort of situation, especially when paying cash

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Hi guys,

Last week my car was involved in a hit and run while parked on the street. (driver side)

About $7000 in damages total.

At first, my insurance company was super nice, offering a rental car, and a few days ago they approved the work order at carstar.

However, suddenly, they became suspicious over the fact that there are two dents on the passenger side which was not hit.

When I claimed the damages, I said my car had no damage whatsoever (it did not). <SNIP>
Um..... so..... was the car really the victim of a “hit and run” while it was parked is the bigger question...

You essentially lied with trying to get prior damages fixed from a so called “hit and run”... I mean, I don’t really need to go any further... but

It’s called Insurance Fraud. If you already knew the prior damages existed - then when you were asked if the car had any prior damages - you claimed “no”, but your answer should have been YES. You knew, you thought you weren’t going to get questioned and now you got busted so to speak.

And because of THAT, yes, they will investigate further to determine if your claim of a “hit and run” is factual (or not). They have every right to deny a claim (and could drop your insurance too) if they’re able to determine the claim was based on false pretenses and not legit.

Any video surveillance cams on your block, length of street or within the area where the car was parked during this “hit and run”? If so, they will be looking for those and question the owners for back dated footage (if it exists).

Good luck.

EDIT:
LMAO... damn dude... did your “hit and run” occur during your “AWD bumpy ride” where you damaged some things???
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/is-it-ok-to-just-change-1-tire-on-an-awd-car.152422/

Is this an early April Fools thread? Where’s Allen Funt?

Last edited:

xSouthSyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic GT
TS I don’t want to shit on you but do yourself a favour and stop posting on this forum because you have pretty match admitted to insurance fraud in this thread and I’m no lawyer or insurance investigator

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
The OP is certainly trying to do something hinky, but the insurance company isn't without a bit of blame. It's basically a trap they have set. They know the damage is unrelated and might be something the owner would overlook (or in this case try and get repaired). They are experts in these matters and this is just one tactic used to deny claims.

In this case I think it is a matter of willful ignorance. The conversation probably went something like...

"Gee, I don't think there was any damage before the accident. I don't remember seeing any really. If there was it must have been from the accident. Maybe there was a Pole or a Czechoslovakian or something it got pushed into, who knows!"

The trap is then set and as soon as they find obvious pre-existing damage the trap is sprung and they stop being all nice and lovey-dovey. Wash - Rinse - Repeat. They do those kinds of things as a matter of business. The OP didn't have a chance.

Also to the OP - They probably recorded your conversations, so be aware they will know exactly what you said. You might indeed want to think about cancelling the claim and getting a new insurance company.
Sponsored