Sponsored

My Bolt on 2018 Mustang GT vs 2021 Camaro ZL1

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
I think GM has seen all that and realized they didn't really need to upgrade the power because the ZL1 is still holding its own against the newer or more powerful competition. And, the lower hp is keeping it more affordable and lighter (not that it's a light car) as well.
I think it is more that GM does not want to put any more money into a product that struggles to move 30,000 units a year despite all the performance-for-the-dollar they offer. Just a cold, hard fact of the current Camaro; they just don't sell well, at all.
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Just a cold, hard fact of the current Camaro; they just don't sell well, at all.
don't worry, they'll release the refreshed Camaro on the B platform just like they're using for the CTS-V Blackwing series. If they can justify the R&D expense of a super-limited vehicle run to pay the expenses for the Bravo, Camaro will make it up in volume. :) Long live the 'maro.

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
don't worry, they'll release the refreshed Camaro on the B platform just like they're using for the CTS-V Blackwing series. If they can justify the R&D expense of a super-limited vehicle run to pay the expenses for the Bravo, Camaro will make it up in volume. :) Long live the 'maro.
From everything I have read/understand, the CT5-V Blackwing will be on the Alpha 2, the came chassis that underpins the current Camaro. As for volume, that might have been true when the Camaro was selling 60K+ vehicles a year, but it hard to see an amortization schedule that works if they are only able to sell half or less of that number in any given year.

Bandi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I am fighting this exact internal battle. I donā€™t know if I want to supercharge my ā€˜19 GT A10 or eventually trade it in for a ā€˜19+ ZL1 manual. After thinking about it I donā€™t think or know if Iā€™ll be racing the car as much as I would have hoped (due to covid and my local track being shut down) and I donā€™t want to put more money into mods if Iā€™m going to resolve to just get a ZL1 after I move out of my parentsā€™ house. I learned how to drive stick within the past month and Iā€™m only imagining how much fun it would be to romp around in a car with low end torque and more than enough power for the street.

My current plan is to just get a tune for the GT and see how that feels. Not comparable I know but I want to just see what the difference is. I know a whippled A10 will be faster/quicker but again, I donā€™t think Iā€™ll be racing all that much.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
My current plan is to just get a tune for the GT
a few of us in the area have tunes of various kinds. Also if you're just drag racing, check out the Mopars for some serious torque. They come with Tremec 6MT as well.

Bandi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
a few of us in the area have tunes of various kinds. Also if you're just drag racing, check out the Mopars for some serious torque. They come with Tremec 6MT as well.
Thatā€™s the thing, I might not be racing as often so I would rather the car be stick so Iā€™m more engaged with driving. Plus deep down thereā€™s something about a supercharged Chevy motor that I really like. The LT4 is just that.

I have some time to consider the decision.

OP
OP
Idaho2018GTPremium

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I am fighting this exact internal battle. I donā€™t know if I want to supercharge my ā€˜19 GT A10 or eventually trade it in for a ā€˜19+ ZL1 manual. After thinking about it I donā€™t think or know if Iā€™ll be racing the car as much as I would have hoped (due to covid and my local track being shut down) and I donā€™t want to put more money into mods if Iā€™m going to resolve to just get a ZL1 after I move out of my parentsā€™ house. I learned how to drive stick within the past month and Iā€™m only imagining how much fun it would be to romp around in a car with low end torque and more than enough power for the street.

My current plan is to just get a tune for the GT and see how that feels. Not comparable I know but I want to just see what the difference is. I know a whippled A10 will be faster/quicker but again, I donā€™t think Iā€™ll be racing all that much.
For what it's worth, I'd rather have my stock ZL1 than my former 2018 GT (w/ A10, PP1, and MagneRide) boosted to, say, 750 crank hp. Sure, the GT would be a bit faster in a straight line, but the ZL1 would still look better (IMO compared to a GT), be faster in turns, handle much better, be better balanced, have better steering, better trans. (10R90 vs 10L80 in the GT - the "90" and '"80" are the torque ratings, higher being better) and superior trans. programming, a better rear differential (eLSD vs. torsen), better brakes, actual functional downforce body components (front splitter, hood vent, side skirts, and rear wing), all the coolers, and sportier feeling and simply more buttoned down. And this was vs. my A10, PP1 w/ MagneRide. The difference would be even wider if compared to a base GT or PP1 w/ out MagneRide. Then there's the heated/cooled Recaros, and other interior features that only a GT Premium w/ 401A has.

I do a lot of twisty road driving (but not track), and a stock ZL1 would leave any GT, but esp. a base supercharged GT (even with 800+ hp), in the dust on twisty roads.

Plus, with a stock ZL1 you have the value of a 6th gen ZL1. With a supercharged GT you still have the value of a GT (or less because it's supercharged) and no drivetrain warranty (unless you get the Roush/Ford Performance installed by a certified installer and get some powertrain warranty).

Bandi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
For what it's worth, I'd rather have my stock ZL1 than my former 2018 GT (w/ A10, PP1, and MagneRide) boosted to, say, 750 crank hp. Sure, the GT would be a bit faster in a straight line, but the ZL1 would still look better (IMO compared to a GT), be faster in turns, handle much better, be better balanced, have better steering, better trans. (10R90 vs 10L80 in the GT - the "90" and '"80" are the torque ratings, higher being better) and superior trans. programming, a better rear differential (eLSD vs. torsen), better brakes, actual functional downforce body components (front splitter, hood vent, side skirts, and rear wing), all the coolers, and sportier feeling and simply more buttoned down. And this was vs. my A10, PP1 w/ MagneRide. The difference would be even wider if compared to a base GT or PP1 w/ out MagneRide. Then there's the heated/cooled Recaros, and other interior features that only a GT Premium w/ 401A has.

I do a lot of twisty road driving (but not track), and a stock ZL1 would leave any GT, but esp. a base supercharged GT (even with 800+ hp), in the dust on twisty roads.

Plus, with a stock ZL1 you have the value of a 6th gen ZL1. With a supercharged GT you still have the value of a GT (or less because it's supercharged) and no drivetrain warranty (unless you get the Roush/Ford Performance installed by a certified installer and get some powertrain warranty).
All of that plus the simple fact that the car would be my toy in the sense that I just get in and go is why Iā€™m considering one. Another option I was thinking of if I wanted to stay Ford was the Mach 1 but even then Iā€™d have to put a supercharger on it.

Sponsored

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT PP1 A10, '20 Armada,'15 Tundra,14' GS350F
Very nice, just read your the entire thread. Congrats on your purchase and hope all goes well!! Keep the post updated (Iā€™ll follow) with unbiased opinions, you seem like a balanced dude and all of your opinions seem very well thought out and explained, unbiased. I come from Japanese landā€¦(Toyota/Lexus/Nissan - mainly off-road) and 3 months ago my 911 buddy talked me into road-coursing one of my DDā€™s (Lexus GS350FSport)ā€¦.had an absolute blast, and 2 months later after researching every track-car in history, talked myself out of a cheap supercharged BRZ/Miata, and into a new 2020 Premium PP1 A10 Magneride 5.0ā€¦..I purposely did not test drive the ZL-1, for two reasons - one, Iā€™d be out $20K more if I put it into a wall (Iā€™m not buying track insurance every month, Iā€™ll risk it), and 2 - wife said I wasnā€™t the mullet type (no offense, I realize the Mustang is mullet worthy as well, but for whatever reason she was okay with it - she still hates riding/driving the Mustang LOL). Iā€™d be in a new Supra, but like you, I have 2 young kids and if I decide to take them to school one day, I need at least a small backseat. Supra couldnā€™t do that. :-(
Iā€™ve been to the track twice now the last 800 miles, and Iā€™m disappointed in the PP1 packageā€™s cooling ability (minus brakes, Bremboā€™s are great). I overheated the trans, rear diff, and engine oil. I reached out to a race-car shop, and Iā€™m lined up for all 3 coolers at a $5K price tag. I only paid $44K for the car brand new, so Iā€™m not doing too bad on price ($49K after coolers) if I can manage to keep it cooled on track - it will be almost dedicated track car. I overheated on longer sessions (30 min vs your 20 min average) and it was a pretty taxing track (Oregon Raceway Park). There were a few Camaros out (ZL1 and a few SSā€™s seemed built - all were trailed in), and they were faster than me, but Iā€™m also a novice and have a TON to learn. Hopefully Iā€™ll be somewhere within 3-5 seconds of them once the car is setup (Iā€™m still stock suspension and PS4ā€™s - Steeda springs are on back order). Still have to adjust camber, etc. The Camaros werenā€™t on track any longer than I, so not sure how their cooling went. My buddies 911 does absolutely killer. But he has to worry about walls a lot more than I do LOL. I wanted a nice balance of performance per dollar.
I did manage to take a ZL-1, 1 out of 3 times at the drag strip, and Z06 2 out of 3 timesā€¦(was running 12.3 @ 117mph)ā€¦they couldnā€™t get decent launchesā€¦.but Iā€™m not a drag racer, just did it for fun once at the drag-track.
If this S550 doesnā€™t work out the way I planned on road course, I might meet ya over on the dark side :-)
Good luck to ya!

Last edited:

Bandi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Figured I'd come back to this thread to report that back in early May I did pull the trigger on a very lightly used 2019 Camaro ZL1 in Riverside Blue Metallic with a 6-speed.

It's honestly not a fair comparison, but the car is way more fun to drive than my GT was for obvious reasons (10-speed, base model with 301A package).

The only thing I miss about my Coyote is that redline, but with plans to stick a cam in the ZL1 I think I'll have the capability to hit 7k rpm at least, will really have no reason to do that.
Sponsored