Sponsored

My BMW 545i feels faster than 2019 Mustang GT

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
i drive my stock tune A10 in track mode 90% of the time. feels way faster than my 2012 manual that had a tune. no issues with "sensation of speed" here. passing power on the highway feels about as quick as the car actually is. maybe my brain is just adjusted or something. regular mode does seem sluggish though. trapping 119mph without a tune with just a drop in filter, good enough for me. i don't think i'm going to void my warranty and deal with the hassle going with an E85 tune to pick up 2mph in the 1/4 mile
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It is annoying though the BMW cost like 3 times less than the Mustang yet provides better performance (minus crappy suspension) with a lot of space inside and practicality not to mention no sound in the cabin at all.
At least here in the US, used BMWs are cheap because parts and service are very expensive. It's cheap until something goes wrong (and it will). Then it becomes a money pit.

I was looking at a used M3 recently. I was interested until I saw that the clutch is more than $2,000, rod bearings go out on the engine, there's some common failure mode with the dual throttles... umm no thanks I don't need that.

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
i drive my stock tune A10 in track mode 90% of the time. feels way faster than my 2012 manual that had a tune. no issues with "sensation of speed" here. passing power on the highway feels about as quick as the car actually is. maybe my brain is just adjusted or something. regular mode does seem sluggish though. trapping 119mph without a tune with just a drop in filter, good enough for me. i don't think i'm going to void my warranty and deal with the hassle going with an E85 tune to pick up 2mph in the 1/4 mile
My E85 tune picked up over 5 mph on my '18 A10 GT. Best money I ever spent on the car so far (except for maybe the drag radials). I chuckle inside whenever I see or hear someone say anything about being worried about voiding their warranty. Usually it means they also owe money on the car or bought the car to have casual fun and don't really take the quest for better performance very seriously (or cannot afford the quest for better performance). I'm not saying that's true in your case, but in general...yeah, its very true that kind of talk comes from folks who really aren't all that into performance in the first place.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
lol. My E85 tune and 88mm tb was worth 7-8 mph gain in quarter versus stock. Not exactly a hassle in my book. Full weight pp1 a10.

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
lol. My E85 tune and 88mm tb was worth 7-8 mph gain in quarter versus stock. Not exactly a hassle in my book. Full weight pp1 a10.
Ok so the logic on the 550 being cheaper is that we know it's gonna need serious repair money,so I won't pay as much as a mustang that's more reliable.??

Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I was looking at a used M3 recently. I was interested until I saw that the clutch is more than $2,000, rod bearings go out on the engine, there's some common failure mode with the dual throttles... umm no thanks I don't need that.
My Co-Worker M3 E92 rod bearings got bust he is currently rebuilding the engine which will cost almost as much as the whole car :( So this is an issue. However mechanical labor cost in my country is super cheap so overall as long as you don't have rod bearings issues the car is cheap to maintain.

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I doubt I would trap 127mph in the quarter mile on an E85 tune, seems a little excessive

EDIT: looking at the fast list, it looks like an E85 tune and x pipe would net me about 1.5-2mph in the 1/4 mile, just as I suspected

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My E85 tune picked up over 5 mph on my '18 A10 GT. Best money I ever spent on the car so far (except for maybe the drag radials). I chuckle inside whenever I see or hear someone say anything about being worried about voiding their warranty. Usually it means they also owe money on the car or bought the car to have casual fun and don't really take the quest for better performance very seriously (or cannot afford the quest for better performance). I'm not saying that's true in your case, but in general...yeah, its very true that kind of talk comes from folks who really aren't all that into performance in the first place.
I ran a tune on my last car since almost the moment I bought it, but with the gen3 coyote and 10 speed auto I would rather see how it does up to at least 60k miles before I start running tunes. I don't need something weird happening and be on the hook for a $15k engine

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I doubt I would trap 127mph in the quarter mile on an E85 tune, seems a little excessive

EDIT: looking at the fast list, it looks like an E85 tune and x pipe would net me about 1.5-2mph in the 1/4 mile, just as I suspected
Itll get you more than that homie. Figure on about 5mph. Say going from a 118 trap to a 122-123trap in an A10.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I trapped 121 mph (1400’ above sea level) pedaling it through 3rd gear with the axles hopping like mad. 121-124 is pretty common trap for E85 in decent air.

Sponsored

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was just going based on the guys with timeslips in the fast list thread, mid 120 range would be worth it. Only if it could do that on a flex fuel tune though since E85 in CA is few and far between

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I was just going based on the guys with timeslips in the fast list thread, mid 120 range would be worth it. Only if it could do that on a flex fuel tune though since E85 in CA is few and far between
Rjames just took a a10 rental gen3 and put it into the 10’s with e85 tune, headers, weight reduction. Lol. Plenty of E85 data that shows it is a decent power adder on a 12 to 1 comp motor.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Rjames just took a a10 rental gen3 and put it into the 10’s with e85 tune, headers, weight reduction. Lol. Plenty of E85 data that shows it is a decent power adder on a 12 to 1 comp motor.
And then he took it back to Hertz on Monday?? :wink:

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.