PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
have read a few of the break in , spare tyre posts/threads on here,

I wont be driving 15,000 miles per year nor going regional too often, so the lack of spare tyre/space saver was a bit surprise, my car comes with RACV roadside, and I asked them if I dont have a spare do you guys help with the inflation kit , they said no, they will tow the car and pay for your hotel, which seems a huge overkill, so am thinking should i buy one of those tyre kits for about $750 ish , what do you guys do?

breakin - some say it doesnt need it but the manual says to not drive like schumacher for the first 1500km, so what is the definition of this, I thought I drove it moderately hard yesterday but it never went past 4k rpm

warming the engine up - some say warming up does nothing, some say it hurts the engine, some say its not required

thanks for your feedback Ladies and gents!
I have a space saver spare tyre for piece of mind. You should be able to do better than $750 I would think. I have heard that those inflator kits are terrible with the gunk that they put into your tyre.
I believe breaking in per the manual is the way to go. Just makes sense to follow the manufacturers guidelines.
As for warming up, I always stay put until the revs drop down and I do a kilometre before reving it hard.
Of course there are conflicting opinions to my approach on all the above.
Sponsored

OP
OP

hellohello123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2022 California GT: Black
I have a space saver spare tyre for piece of mind. You should be able to do better than $750 I would think. I have heard that those inflator kits are terrible with the gunk that they put into your tyre..
can I ask where did you get yours from,?
according to other threads on here, the front and rears are different, so you need to a space saver
ive been looking at this
https://www.ponyparts.design/drivesava-mustang-spare-wheel-new-year-sale
I believe breaking in per the manual is the way to go. Just makes sense to follow the manufacturers guidelines.
As for warming up, I always stay put until the revs drop down and I do a kilometre before reving it hard.
Of course there are conflicting opinions to my approach on all the above.
my car is a manual so wouldnt the gear changing process constitute a variation in revs?

for me 4k rpm is quite lead foot driving, I think I need to learn to get to red line once 1500km is up

OP
OP

hellohello123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
fuel consumption doesnt really bother me, but im curious as to what im going to average,

when I picked up the car it was 14km with fuel economy of 96L/100km!

ive done 200 km now and its sitting at 18.5L/100km

will be interesting to see what I average on the next tank

Last edited:

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
fuel consumption doesnt really bother me, but im curious as to what im going to average,

when I picked up the car it was 14km with fuel economy of 96L/100km,

ive done 200 km now and its sitting at 18.5L/100km

will be interesting to see what I average on the next tank
My all time average is 13.5l/100

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
according to other threads on here, the front and rears are different, so you need to a space saver
ive been looking at this

my car is a manual so wouldnt the gear changing process constitute a variation in revs?

for me 4k rpm is quite lead foot driving, I think I need to learn to get to red line once 1500km is up
Yes I got mine from Pony Parts. One of the owners lives in the Gold Coast hinterland so I just picked up the wheel and Jack from his home and saved freight. The wheel fits snugly in the well . There is not enough room though to even put sound deadener in there.

Sponsored

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
ive been looking at this

Congrats on the new Mustang.

There are a few places to get a spare wheel for V8 Mustang's now, Ford even offer a dealer supplied kit with a jack and brace included.
https://www.ford.com.au/performance/mustang/accessories/mustang-gt-fastback/#

In terms of running in, as long as you are not smashing it into the rev limiter every day, just drive it as you would normally. Varying revs usually means avoiding sitting on the hwy at cruising speed for extended periods. The occasional trip to 4000-5000 rpm is fine.

Also, the best way to warm up you engine is to drive it. Start it, let the cold start idle calm down, then gently drive. Another thing to note, water temp will reach operational temp more quickly than oil. My gauges will be different to yours, but this pic shows what I mean.

IMG-2388.jpg

The magical part of the Coyote V8 is found beyond 4500 rpm. Once run-in, give it a boot full and you will see what I mean. :like:

OP
OP

hellohello123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
I am surprised you have a problem with the Mirror Adjustment.

Not a problem I have experienced with mine. Our Mirrors are specific to Export Mustangs, and have a different shape, with no connection to the US LHD Market.

Have you tried moving your seat - driving position back?
had a fiddle today with the seat, once I choose a different seat setting and move the left mirror as inward as possible, I can see about a 5c coin worth of my car, so I guess thats fine,
(im just a bit paranoid of seeing none of my car in case there is some thing my blind spots' blind spot

Most people adjust the mirrors so they can see the rear quarters - I’m not sure I see the point in that but I appreciate everyone is different.

I find the mirrors work fine (with adjustment to spare) once the rear quarter is just out of view.

I’m 5,9 and normal proportions (maybe a little lockdown large around the middle ... lol).

Give it a try and let us know :like:

WD :like:
are you my twin, almost the same proportions:like: including the covid love handles

OP
OP

hellohello123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
Congrats on the new Mustang.

There are a few places to get a spare wheel for V8 Mustang's now, Ford even offer a dealer supplied kit with a jack and brace included.
https://www.ford.com.au/performance/mustang/accessories/mustang-gt-fastback/#

In terms of running in, as long as you are not smashing it into the rev limiter every day, just drive it as you would normally. Varying revs usually means avoiding sitting on the hwy at cruising speed for extended periods. The occasional trip to 4000-5000 rpm is fine.

Also, the best way to warm up you engine is to drive it. Start it, let the cold start idle calm down, then gently drive. Another thing to note, water temp will reach operational temp more quickly than oil. My gauges will be different to yours, but this pic shows what I mean.

IMG-2388.jpg

The magical part of the Coyote V8 is found beyond 4500 rpm. Once run-in, give it a boot full and you will see what I mean. :like:
so looking forward to pushing it a bit once I pass 1500km,
i come from a non performance car background so even 4k rpm feels like im almost at "thrashing" the car

and wow 20L/100km is horrible, but its a v8! we can't complain :like:

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
so looking forward to pushing it a bit once I pass 1500km,
i come from a non performance car background so even 4k rpm feels like im almost at "thrashing" the car

and wow 20L/100km is horrible, but its a v8! we can't complain :like:
Congrats and be careful with all that creamy V8 power!

Sponsored

R3troGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Coupe - 2019 RAM 1500 BH
Congrats. Fun times ahead

Since-64

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graeme
Vehicle(s)
2014 Grand Cherokee, G6ET, 2016 Mustang
have read a few of the break in , spare tyre posts/threads on here,

I wont be driving 15,000 miles per year nor going regional too often, so the lack of spare tyre/space saver was a bit surprise, my car comes with RACV roadside, and I asked them if I dont have a spare do you guys help with the inflation kit , they said no, they will tow the car and pay for your hotel, which seems a huge overkill, so am thinking should i buy one of those tyre kits for about $750 ish , what do you guys do?

breakin - some say it doesnt need it but the manual says to not drive like schumacher for the first 1500km, so what is the definition of this, I thought I drove it moderately hard yesterday but it never went past 4k rpm

warming the engine up - some say warming up does nothing, some say it hurts the engine, some say its not required

thanks for your feedback Ladies and gents!
Welcome to the forum, you will definitely enjoy the stang. If you are still interested in a space saver you you could talk to Fred at American speed, he is a great bloke to deal with and he has a store in Moorabbin, Vic.
Sponsored