My 2020 GT 350 Engine Blew today

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
I have a buddy who lost his motor around 1000 miles on a 2020 GT350 as well. Valve issue - he pushed to have the dealer buy it back, instead they offered him $18k less than he bought it. He had the motor replaced and no issues thus far.
Is your buddy on this forum and posted his 2020 GT350 engine failure here? Can you provide any reference to this failure? Just want to document 2019+ engine failures. I count five engine failures for 2019+ (4 for 2020) so far.
Sponsored

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
The fact that many people dont know about money shifting is another concern and again proves my point of people with a knowledge of far below average required to own a car like this are around. Not trying to be condescending but this is not a car for average person to own.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
I’ll disagree a bit. Most all of us in here have had various performance cars in the past. Be it 911, M3 or M5, RS4, S4 and things like that, and we know how to drive them. But a few may be owned by noobs that it’s their first manual shifting high performance car and if you money shift it’s going to pop. I’m a but surprised cars like this don’t have slipper clutches like my Ducati’s, Honda’s, Arpilias and Kawasaki’s had. It’s lots of fun on them to bang down a few years knowing it won’t blow up and nail the throttle.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
The fact that many people dont know about money shifting is another concern and again proves my point of people with a knowledge of far below average required to own a car like this are around. Not trying to be condescending but this is not a car for average person to own.
I would venture to guess that most people that have a manual will understand the concept that downshifting too low that forces the engine above redline will be bad or very bad for the engine. But the term "money shift" would not necessarily be associated with that problem.

That_Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 K2284 --> L616
I'm sure most people driving these cars know that missing a shift is bad. I'm not sure everyone knows what the term "money shift" means. In my case I was accelerating lightly from a stop light (not even keeping up with a minivan in front of me) when my engine let go. Car never went over 3-4k. Ever. These low mileage catastrophic failures are all similar and almost certainly a metallurgical or component part defect of some sort. Luck of the draw... Some of us got 'lucky' and won this lottery...others did not...

Sponsored

The01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Money shift is when you try to get to fourth and instead hit second gear while you gas it. The motor over revs, the valves float and hit the top of the piston. The valve springs can’t keep up. This was a big problem in the RSXS years ago. Acura quit replacing engines at some point due to stupidity of the drivers.
Sum this up - A nice way to say you can’t drive worth a shit

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Damn .
So sorry OP.

So much for the new and improved motor .
Maybe it’s another valve train issue ?

Anybody thinking of “upgrading “ because of the new motor from a pre 19 better think again .

Worst case scenario if your pre 19 stock motor fails send it off to be built by a reputable shop to address the all the sub par stuff . Would still be cheaper than trading . Lol
Me personally I am “stock piling” voodoo motors(Instead of toilet paper ) - you will be surprised how affordable a short block build can be . Used heads are also fairly cheap so you can “upgrade “ the valve train too .
I looked at the “Gen 2 “ heads (same as they have on the predator ) but may be better off avoiding them (too much $$$ anyway ).
I have been looking for engines here and there, but they are expensive out of any junkyard I can find. Where are you finding these?

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
That’s not a bad price but not if all you want is the block /and crank .

Gen 1 bare blocks can be had for about $1500 ($1000 if you are lucky ) .

Unless you can get one for $1000 it’s probably better to just get a Gen 3 block if you want to build one up . They retail for about $1900.

Mahle “voodoo “ drop in pistons(Gen 2)are about $850.
Mahle voodoo specific H rods $800.
Used cranks can be had for $550.

Find a builder you trust and you can have a basic build short block starting with the newer(and better ) /predator block for $4K plus cost to assemble .

Evil_E

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR293
I agree. It’s the same as not taking rpm flare into consideration when shifting close to redline.

Sponsored

overdrive714

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford GT350, 2004 Toyota RAV4, 2006 Triumph Daytona 675
I’ll disagree a bit. Most all of us in here have had various performance cars in the past. Be it 911, M3 or M5, RS4, S4 and things like that, and we know how to drive them. But a few may be owned by noobs that it’s their first manual shifting high performance car and if you money shift it’s going to pop. I’m a but surprised cars like this don’t have slipper clutches like my Ducati’s, Honda’s, Arpilias and Kawasaki’s had. It’s lots of fun on them to bang down a few years knowing it won’t blow up and nail the throttle.
The GT350 Shelby is my first manual car, and the only other car I’ve ever owned before was a 2004 Toyota RAV4. I hope that doesn’t make me a noobie...

I hope anyone that buys this car would know the fundamentals of operating a manual car and understand their limits. I don’t think any of these 2020 GT350 failures were caused by operator error. Perhaps quality assurance and control is the root to these engine problems, and I’m sure driving these performance cars in the colder climate doesn’t help too much with the break in process.

TxGT350-52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lead Foot, 2021 Diesel Tremor CG
Thanks for your concern about some of us who have never heard an obscure term that describes a common problem with inexperienced manual transmission drivers. And yes, your post was condescending, as you have no idea my experience level and what previous cars I have owned. Sorry to burst your bubble, but it is an awesome car that an average person can afford and drive as they see fit. I use mine to drive back and forth to the airport when I am traveling, as it is the oldest and least expensive car I own.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
The Shelby is a nice car but don’t make it to be what it is not: a super exotic car that require years of training and driving skills that Only a few can ever hope to master!!!
What a load of BS
And if you really believe it, that only show that it is your driving skills that must be sub-par and obviously as you state in your post, you believe that you are “better” than the “average “ driver.
what a joke
Sponsored

Last edited: