My 2018 GT audio build- JL Audio/Hertz

OF5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP
Watch this YouTube video, I think that your problem may be solved in the first two minutes of the video.
Sponsored

OP
OP
MrTej

MrTej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP MT
Watch this YouTube video, I think that your problem may be solved in the first two minutes of the video.
I’ve watched that video a few times lol. The difference is they are setting it up as standalone, so they have additional setup options like how you want to use the inputs and outputs. I’m using the Maestro harness so most of those initial setup options don’t apply.

OF5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP
I’ve watched that video a few times lol. The difference is they are setting it up as standalone, so they have additional setup options like how you want to use the inputs and outputs. I’m using the Maestro harness so most of those initial setup options don’t apply.
But, I believe the subwoofer level setting is applicable to your situation.

Emilbadal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Auto DIB
That’s one hell of a clean install! Great work! I have couple of questions if you don’t mind.
1- Do your door chimes still play through speakers?
2- Do you get any sort of speaker/ sub popping sound when turning the car off or on?

OP
OP
MrTej

MrTej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP MT
But, I believe the subwoofer level setting is applicable to your situation.
I messed around with it again tonight. Re-flashed the DSR-1 and checked all of my connections. Now the sub channels are working fine. Not sure what I did differently, but glad it’s working :).

That’s one hell of a clean install! Great work! I have couple of questions if you don’t mind.
2- Do you get any sort of speaker/ sub popping sound when turning the car off or on?
Thanks! To answer your questions, yes, my door and backup chimes still play through the speakers, and yes, I do get a slight popping sound from the speakers when the car finally goes to sleep.

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
If you go with the DSR-1 / Meastro harness combo, this will allow chimes to play through the new audio system as it emulates the factory amplifier Can-Bus connections.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I messed around with it again tonight. Re-flashed the DSR-1 and checked all of my connections. Now the sub channels are working fine. Not sure what I did differently, but glad it’s working :).
I'm glad you got it working. Likely the re-flash fixed some glitch in the system.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)

Thanks! To answer your questions, yes, my door and backup chimes still play through the speakers, and yes, I do get a slight popping sound from the speakers when the car finally goes to sleep.
Good to hear that you have it all working. Regarding the popping noise through the speakers you can usually reduce this by setting your gains on your amps lower. Are your amps class A/B or D? I have noticed over the years sometimes a little popping or static is hard to avoid with Class D amps, but tweaking gains usually reduces it.

OP
OP
MrTej

MrTej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP MT
Good to hear that you have it all working. Regarding the popping noise through the speakers you can usually reduce this by setting your gains on your amps lower. Are your amps class A/B or D? I have noticed over the years sometimes a little popping or static is hard to avoid with Class D amps, but tweaking gains usually reduces it.
They are class D amps. Since getting everything working, I haven’t had much time to mess with it. Hopefully I can start adjusting and tuning everything next week.

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
You don't have the measurements for the amprack at hand, don't you? :)
And do you just use the standard trunk floor cover? Does it bend or do you support it with the amprack so you can put heavier things into your trunk?

Sponsored
OP
OP
MrTej

MrTej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP MT
You don't have the measurements for the amprack at hand, don't you? :)
And do you just use the standard trunk floor cover? Does it bend or do you support it with the amprack so you can put heavier things into your trunk?
Sorry, I don’t. I started off with rough measurements of the spare tire well and pieced together some cardboard boxes to about the same size, and then just cut the box down in small increments until it fit wheee I wanted it to at the bottom of the well. Cut the hole in the center where the bracket sticks up out of the week, and then traced the cardboard template onto a piece of 1/2 in MDF. Cut that out and trimmed and filed it down until it fit how I wanted it to. Then I just built everything up from there based on what I was adding and how I wanted the final look and function to be.

I built the amp rack so that the top of it would act as support for the OEM trunk floor (yes, I am using the original trunk floor).

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Ok, thnx for the info. :)
Really nice build you have there.

OP
OP
MrTej

MrTej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP MT
Just a quick update. I’ve been playing a lot with the sound and still feel like I have a long way to go to get it right, but today I managed to eliminate a rattle I had coming from the rear deck panel, even before the stereo upgrade. Unfortunately for me, it wasn’t coming from the rear deck at all- it wasn’t until after I removed the rear deck panel that I figured that out. Luckily, the rear deck panel was pretty easy to take out and subsequently put back in.

The rattle that I had was actually coming from the brackets that the rear seats lock onto when they are in the upright position (the left one was the culprit for me). I wrapped both in Tessa tape, put the seats back up and put on “A Milli” by Lil Wayne, which had previously guaranteed a rattle, and wha la, no more rattle!

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The rattle that I had was actually coming from the brackets that the rear seats lock onto when they are in the upright position (the left one was the culprit for me). I wrapped both in Tessa tape, and no more rattle!
Hey, good find. But may I ask you if you could post a photo of what you did? And which tape you used? I just found one 'Tesa' tape, and it's only about 3/4" wide; want to make sure it's the same you used. Also curious where exactly you wrapped the parts, and about how many turns. I assume the fix is to actually create pressure (when seat is latched) on that part, right? My car started rattling near the passenger C-pillar, and hope that's the culprit. Thank you.

OP
OP
MrTej

MrTej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP MT
Hey, good find. But may I ask you if you could post a photo of what you did? And which tape you used? I just found one 'Tesa' tape, and it's only about 3/4" wide; want to make sure it's the same you used. Also curious where exactly you wrapped the parts, and about how many turns. I assume the fix is to actually create pressure (when seat is latched) on that part, right? My car started rattling near the passenger C-pillar, and hope that's the culprit. Thank you.
Yes, it’s the 3/4” Tesa tape. I’m guessing it acts to fill a void which allows the latch to bang against the bracket when the bass is causing a lot of air movement. I wrapped about a 2” long piece three times around the vertical portion of the bracket, moving it down with each pass. I tried to keep it to 1 layer as much as possible to prevent it from not latching and to allow it to unlatch. I added a little to the top and bottom as well. Here are a few pictures:

78AA9F1E-CE40-486B-A9A2-6DA16B748437.jpeg
4C4018E1-C21F-454A-9CA0-E0A5B721E3BE.jpeg
2E3F3E0A-8A96-4367-8C88-6C33B3D18889.jpeg

Hope that helps.
Sponsored