Sponsored

MY 19 GT350 vs any GT350R?

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
I can’t find the previous post in a different thread but someone posted where Ford Performance, or a similar performance group, was testing 350R’s with CF wheels vs 350R’s on lightweight metal wheels. The poster noted that the CF group stayed grouped and were tracking faster than the non-CF wheeled R’s. He also noted that the non-CF group was all over the place and their times were inconsistent.

The R package vs 350 is night and day on track.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I don't own a GT350 anymore but I'm a big fan and I hope to own another some day. For me I never wanted the R, but it was more of a budget and availability thing. I think the GT350 was plenty good enough for me and I didn't feel comfortable spending R money. I was afraid if I spent that much then I wouldn't have the additional cash for track days and consumables.

Regarding duplicating the R, you will not be able to duplicate the Magneride and ABS programming that takes full advantage of the light carbon fiber wheels and sticky Cup 2 tires. Yes you can go aftermarket and change the Magneride programming, but don't fool yourself into thinking you can out-program and test more than Ford's engineers. Remember that the R also has unique Magneride shocks that are different from the GT350 Magneride shocks to optimize shock function.

And ABS you just won't be able to reprogram.

If you want the best functionality for high performance driving in a GT350/R, you want to buy the R. Period.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I can’t find the previous post in a different thread but someone posted where Ford Performance, or a similar performance group, was testing 350R’s with CF wheels vs 350R’s on lightweight metal wheels. The poster noted that the CF group stayed grouped and were tracking faster than the non-CF wheeled R’s. He also noted that the non-CF group was all over the place and their times were inconsistent.

May have been one of these threads:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...a-vs-the-2019gt350.127326/page-3#post-2658993

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...rbon-fiber-gt350r-wheels-vs-al-wheels.109837/

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/inside-the-carbon-revolution-wheel.145044/

ecoboost321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R ; 2018 Tesla Model 3
I think the value in a used GT350R is in the VIN. Also, it has all the mods you would want for making standard car more track capable from the factory, but still comfortable for occasional street use. It is analogous to what porsche does with the GT3 RS versus GT3, and resale market reflects that.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

I believe that was Billy Johnson. He is a huge proponent of CF wheels. I believe in his assertion (pertaining to the track). Where my opinion differs is street use. To each his own.

Edit:
That difference was significant, but I don't think it was night vs day. The driving was done by professional drivers who can take a car to 10/10ths. The difference between average Joes out on a track day will certainly be less pronounced. Again, I am a proponent for using the CF wheels on the track.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think the value in a used GT350R is in the VIN. Also, it has all the mods you would want for making standard car more track capable from the factory, but still comfortable for occasional street use. It is analogous to what porsche does with the GT3 RS versus GT3, and resale market reflects that.
I kind of agree with this. IMO the value of the R is in the carbon fiber wheels first and foremost, and the aero/suspension/brake systems as well. Also a big part of the R value is the rarity and reputation (maybe this is what you meant when you said VIN - if so we agree on that point).

But for me personally if I were buying an R and it didn't have the carbon fiber wheels it wouldn't be worth much to me. So for me I would be buying the equipment included with the R more than just the VIN. Those CF rims are the single most important things on the car when compared to a regular GT350.

IMO it's not about track capability because both the R and regular GT350 (with coolers) are very track capable. The R difference is better feel and faster on track.

I kind of agree with the GT3/GT3 RS comparison, except the GT3 RS has a different engine than the regular GT3 and it makes more power.

ecoboost321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R ; 2018 Tesla Model 3
I kind of agree with this. IMO the value of the R is in the carbon fiber wheels first and foremost, and the aero/suspension/brake systems as well. Also a big part of the R value is the rarity and reputation (maybe this is what you meant when you said VIN - if so we agree on that point).

But for me personally if I were buying an R and it didn't have the carbon fiber wheels it wouldn't be worth much to me. So for me I would be buying the equipment included with the R more than just the VIN. Those CF rims are the single most important things on the car when compared to a regular GT350.

IMO it's not about track capability because both the R and regular GT350 (with coolers) are very track capable. The R difference is better feel and faster on track.

I kind of agree with the GT3/GT3 RS comparison, except the GT3 RS has a different engine than the regular GT3 and it makes more power.
GT3RS and GT3 have same engine, but different tuning (and exhaust I believe) on GT3 RS.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
GT3RS and GT3 have same engine, but different tuning (and exhaust I believe) on GT3 RS.
I'm sure it depends on which generation of GT3/RS you are talking about, but I looked it up and the GT3 had a 3.8 liter whereas the GT3 RS had a 4.0 liter that made 25 more HP. If the GT350R had a 5.7 liter version of the Voodoo engine in it I would have to buy one.

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0
There was a H2H video between a 19 GT350 vs a R, it was 1-sec difference on the track with the win going to the R. The reviewer mentioned that the R just had more mechanical grip, which was likely the R compound tires. It would be interesting to see a 19 350 on R compound tires. The thing that would scare me away from a R is ground clearance, my 350 hits bottom going over speed bumps and entering establishments with a slight incline, if mine hits I can imagine how the R would hit.

Last edited:

Sponsored

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There was a H2H video between a 19 GT350 vs a R, it was 1-sec difference on the track with the win going to the R. The reviewer mentioned that the R just had more mechanical grip, which was likely the R compound tires. It would be interesting to see a 19 350 on R compound tires. The thing that would scare me away from a R is ground clearance, my 350 hits bottom going over speed bumps and entering establishments with a slight incline, if mine hits I can imagine how the R would hit.

I disagree. The tires are but a mere component... is he wheels make a SIGNIFICANT difference.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
But it contours the body lines. Spoiler.
not to bicker, but a spoiler spoils lift (inhibits natural body lift from speed) and a wing produces lift (positive downward force to aid in positive traction). A GT350R produces lift in the downward direction due to the camber, angle of attack, and airflow.

The swing on a standard 350 is a spoiler and a wing combined. That is why they call it a swing.

Rusherific

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
It all depends on your budget and the reasons you want one.

As an R owner I might take a different opinion here, which is that if you are buying the car primarily with tracking in mind, and know how you like your cars setup, that it might actually be better to get a regular GT350 and then do the wheels/tires etc mods that you would want to do anyway. There's plenty of guys on here that run their R's with aftermarket track wheels anyway with a square setup. Yes the R is turnkey faster around a track however laptimes aren't everything to me in terms of enjoyment on a track day, and if price is at all a concern than I think the R isn't worth it.

That said, it can't be overstated I think how much the CF wheels change the driving dynamics, laptimes aside. The lower unsprung weight takes a good suspension and makes it godly, there are very few cars on this planet that will give you the particular driving experience of wheels this light. My PPF shop said they had in a 488 Pista and that my wheels were actually lighter than its CF's (probably because they're 20", same tires I believe, too). So if you have any desire to experience that, you're going to have to spend 5k+ or even more right off the bat to get aftermarket wheels anywhere close in terms of weight. At that point the cost difference is a lot less already.

But, as great as the R is, to anyone with limited funds, that means that you can't have as much fun on the track, worrying about the CF wheels and devaluing a rare car. In other words, the R is objectively a faster, better, more special car than the GT350, it's just a question of how much is that worth to you? I personally would have spent the rest of my life with a regular GT350 regretting knowing I didn't get the "best" one, especially since I was able to custom order one at MSRP. But I also know that's not a rational viewpoint, just my own preference, and for anyone who cares solely about value for money the GT350 is obviously a fantastic car.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not to bicker, but a spoiler spoils lift (inhibits natural body lift from speed) and a wing produces lift (positive downward force to aid in positive traction). A GT350R produces lift in the downward direction due to the camber, angle of attack, and airflow.

The swing on a standard 350 is a spoiler and a wing combined. That is why they call it a swing.
This is incorrect...

When addressing aircraft, the wings produce lift.

When addressing cars, rear wings, mounted inversely to that of planes, produce downforce.

Lift is impliedpositive, and is more so reserved for aircraft, whereas downforce, implied negative, is associated to automobiles.

An aircraft’s wing produces positive lift, whereas a car’s wing produces negative downforce.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I have a degree in aeronautics. It is my specialty. Once again you dabble in things you pretend to know about Fred. You are wrong again, pure and simple.

Lift is lift Fred, no matter which way you point it. The GT350R, just like the GT500CFTP has a wing.
Sponsored