Sponsored

Mustang Weak Performance

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944
Be careful. If the US had fully "caught up" the Ecoboost would be the top Mustang, not the 700hp + GT500.
I'm not sure that THE Ecoboost would be the top Mustang, but probably AN Ecoboost, most likely the 3.5 Ecoboost from the GT. The Mustang would also be 10% lighter and they would have switched to IRS with the fox body.
It's common knowledge that Ford had, among others, the Audi A5. Imagine if Ford had set their sights on the E30 M3 way back when.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I'm not sure that THE Ecoboost would be the top Mustang, but probably AN Ecoboost, most likely the 3.5 Ecoboost from the GT.
I thought the same thing, but I'm not sure anymore. I wasn't expecting the GT500 engine to top the GT, but it did, so that automatically makes it the top dog engine. And no way you can RELIABLY get more HP out of a 3.5 IMO. Ford could have called that 5.2 V8 engine Ecoboost too, but it'd had been too hypocritical, I guess. Ha ha. I don't think we'll see V8 'Ecoboost' engines (as in V8TT), so the GT will remain the top EB engine, but not the top Ford engine. We'll see :).

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
"Horrible" is putting it too strongly. All domestic V8s had pretty awful power from the mid-70s through most of the '80s. The V8 Mustang was no worse than its primary competition (Camaro/Firebird) during that time. (225 HP in 1987 was considered very good, and the late 80s & early 90s Mustangs won a lot of bang-for-the-buck comparisons with that motor.)

Unfortunately, for most of the '90s, Ford was content to keep the Mustang GT at a modest power level, and fell well behind GM's LT1 and LS1 f-body cars. Ford didn't really catch up until the Coyote 5.0 in 2011.
Yeah, I had an 89 5.0 5-Speed with Flowmaster Exhaust ADS chip and Motorsport Underdrive Pullies. At that time a sub 6 second 0-60 time was FAST and with the few basic aftermarket goodies I had, that is what that car could do and sound GREAT doing it. As an example, the famed 86 Ferrari Testarossa that Sonny Crocket drove would do 0-60 in a whopping 5.2 seconds. Ford, from nearly it's inception had specialty versions that you could buy for way less money than other vehicles of it's time (including standard Corvettes) with similar performance. If you wanted a Mach 1, or Boss, or Cobra, you could ahem pony up a bit more and get one for between Camaro and Corvette money.

69 Mustang Mach 1 - 5.7
70 Boss 429 - 5.3
95 SVT Cobra R - 5.0
00 SVT Cobra R - 4.6
12 Boss - 4.2
15 GT - 4.4
My 18 Roush RS2 A10 - 3.8

Stomp on any one of these cars and tell me it doesn't feel fast!

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase
The thing is, in the '70s until today, you could find those "Hot Rod" parts and make your mild Mustang into a Wild Mustang. That gap has shortened somewhat, as to the amount gained.

Speed, on any time line, is a question of money, how fast ya wanna go?

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
The thing is, in the '70s until today, you could find those "Hot Rod" parts and make your mild Mustang into a Wild Mustang. That gap has shortened somewhat, as to the amount gained.

Speed, on any time line, is a question of money, how fast ya wanna go?
I'll have to disagree here.... the performance for your dollar has NEVER been better!!

• Brown Lee Ford's performance division is fitting the 2020 Mustang GT with a Roush R2650 Twin Vortices Series (TVS) Phase 1 supercharger kit at a bargain price of $39,995, including destination charge.
  • The kit fits 2018 through 2020 Mustang GTs with either manual or automatic transmissions.
  • Customers can fully finance the car with the Roush package starting in December 2019, and the warranty remains intact.
If you're craving 700 horsepower but you can't squeeze the $60,000-plus starting price of the Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat out of your piggy bank, a Ford dealer in a small southern Tennessee town has the solution for you.

Brown Lee Ford in Morrison, Tennessee, has a performance division that will slap a Roush R2650 TVS Phase 1 supercharger kit onto a 2020 Mustang GT and sell it to you for $39,995. That's only $3270 more than the 2020 Mustang GT's $36,725 starting price. You can purchase the supercharger kit and install it on your own, but it costs $7699, so you're saving money if you buy the car through the southern Tennessee dealer.
Sponsored