Sponsored

Mustang vs ZLE

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
the Chevy website and the build for my ZL1 indicates the ZL1 now comes with Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar G:2. Is that simply the next gen Supercar 3?
nah it's a re-labeled PZero all-season. /joke

I can't answer your Q. You'd think 'Supercar 4' could have been a naming option. I'm guessing some bozo in marketing thinks 'G:2' is more sexy than '4'.
Sponsored

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
The one person I was familiar with who really likes the Camaro chose the 4 cylinder 1LE Camaro. Randy Pobst. I assume he has the money for the SS 1LE. He just prefers the 4 cylinder version of the car.

I can't remember ever seeing any review from a major professional source saying they prefer the SS 1LE over the GT350 or the GT350R. That's just silly. The reviews I've seen of the Shelby generally people rave and say it's great or they say they want to buy one. I really haven't seen much of that with the Camaro.
ill shortly reply to both of your responses since i really forgot about this thread..but anyways

yes, to both of your statements there have been people that chose the zle and the ss 1le over the gt350. This is by no confirmation bias of my own. I watched these videos before and after having my mustang and now my camaro. I would have had no real reason to side against the mustang when i had it, so that theory falls short.

how many reviews have you watched/read exactly? Because it didnt take long to see the ones i talked about..there are a few

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Yeah, if the F1 Supercars on my ZL1 last as long or almost as long as PS4S I would stick w/ the Goodyears -- they definitely perform better than PS4S. They are about $100 cheaper each tire than the Michelins anyway.

Interestingly, the Chevy website and the build for my ZL1 indicates the ZL1 now comes with Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar G:2. Is that simply the next gen Supercar 3?
I don't know. I assume more information will be available over time. If GM is like Ford the G:2 might be a little stickier than the 3. Hopefully you will like them! From everything I've heard the car should be fast.

ill shortly reply to both of your responses since i really forgot about this thread..but anyways

yes, to both of your statements there have been people that chose the zle and the ss 1le over the gt350. This is by no confirmation bias of my own. I watched these videos before and after having my mustang and now my camaro. I would have had no real reason to side against the mustang when i had it, so that theory falls short.

how many reviews have you watched/read exactly? Because it didnt take long to see the ones i talked about..there are a few
Like I said, I'm sure you can find people out there that will say pretty much anything you want to hear. Flat earth? Yep it's out there. Lots of it. Easy to find, too. And the Camaro SS 1LE is a good car, so it's not crazy at all for someone to like it. And it makes sense for someone trying to save money with the track as a high/top priority to consider one - assuming they don't mind the engine characteristics.

I hadn't been in this thread for a long time either. I have watched almost every GT350 and GT350R review that's out there from the high level pros. I don't watch the youtube wannabe videos much though. There are a million youtubers out there. I used to watch some of that stuff because I'm car crazy, but I'm just not car crazy enough for some of those guys. That said I have watched a fair number of GT350/R reviews from the more obscure sources - just because I think they are great and I love to hear the exhaust note.

I know I watched/read for sure all the Motor Trend and Car and Driver reviews. They tend to do a pretty good job. Generally, Smoking Tire and Savage Geese are about as far as I will go on the youtubers. Those guys are a little better than most and have been around a while. I don't watch the million and one new guys that pop up every other week though.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I know I watched/read for sure all the Motor Trend and Car and Driver reviews. They tend to do a pretty good job. Generally, Smoking Tire and Savage Geese are about as far as I will go on the youtubers. Those guys are a little better than most and have been around a while. I don't watch the million and one new guys that pop up every other week though.
Motortrend and savagegeese have both said it. As have others.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I don't know. I assume more information will be available over time. If GM is like Ford the G:2 might be a little stickier than the 3. Hopefully you will like them! From everything I've heard the car should be fast.

Like I said, I'm sure you can find people out there that will say pretty much anything you want to hear. Flat earth? Yep it's out there. Lots of it. Easy to find, too. And the Camaro SS 1LE is a good car, so it's not crazy at all for someone to like it. And it makes sense for someone trying to save money with the track as a high/top priority to consider one - assuming they don't mind the engine characteristics.

I hadn't been in this thread for a long time either. I have watched almost every GT350 and GT350R review that's out there from the high level pros. I don't watch the youtube wannabe videos much though. There are a million youtubers out there. I used to watch some of that stuff because I'm car crazy, but I'm just not car crazy enough for some of those guys. That said I have watched a fair number of GT350/R reviews from the more obscure sources - just because I think they are great and I love to hear the exhaust note.

Throttle House is my favorite YouTube car channel. No click bait, usually funny intros in their car reviews, and the two guys have good chemistry, and good quality production. Just gotta get past that they say "Z" like "Zed", instead of "Zee", since they are in Canada.

They do reviews, comparisons, drag/rolling races (on a closed track), and timed hot laps, etc. They also often compare a current model of a car to an older one of the same name (i.e., new Supra vs old Supra). Their GT500 CFTP vs ZL1 1LE vs Hellcat Redeye even has Randy Pobst doing the hot laps at Willow Springs for them. Surprise, the ZLE was about a second faster around Willow Springs with Randy at the helm, although Randy thinks the GT500 CFTP would have been faster than the ZLE if it had fresher tires because it was faster in the straights.

Sponsored

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Throttle House is my favorite YouTube car channel. No click bait, usually funny intros in their car reviews, and the two guys have good chemistry, and good quality production. Just gotta get past that they say "Z" like "Zed", instead of "Zee", since they are in Canada.

They do reviews, comparisons, drag/rolling races (on a closed track), and timed hot laps, etc. They also often compare a current model of a car to an older one of the same name (i.e., new Supra vs old Supra). Their GT500 CFTP vs ZL1 1LE vs Hellcat Redeye even has Randy Pobst doing the hot laps at Willow Springs for them. Surprise, the ZLE was about a second faster around Willow Springs with Randy at the helm, although Randy thinks the GT500 CFTP would have been faster than the ZLE if it had fresher tires because it was faster in the straights.
yeah, i havent found a video yet where people say the gt350/r is better than the zle around the track. lol

the gt500 is a better competition but a lot more expensive.

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A

Yes Throttle House is the best! I love all of their stuff.

yeah, i havent found a video yet where people say the gt350/r is better than the zle around the track. lol

No one is arguing that pro-reviews haven't said a 1LE/ZLE handles better than a GT350/R or vice versa. What the other guys are saying is that no pro-review said they would prefer to own a 1LE or ZLE over a GT350/R and I agree. I have never heard any professional reviewer say that, whether it was on video or reading an article. If we are wrong, please quote it.

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
No one is arguing that pro-reviews haven't said a 1LE/ZLE handles better than a GT350/R or vice versa. What the other guys are saying is that no pro-review said they would prefer to own a 1LE or ZLE over a GT350/R and I agree. I have never heard any professional reviewer say that, whether it was on video or reading an article. If we are wrong, please quote it.
some people DID seem to argue that the zle wasnt a better track car than the 350. hence a lot of the discussion.

i agree and have stated that most of the reviews say theyd rather have a gt350 over a zle for a daily driver as its more compliant, but there were a COUPLE of reviews that said they would prefer the ss 1le for that role as well. I did quote part of the article where it was stated already from motortrend.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Motortrend and savagegeese have both said it. As have others.
What I remember from Motortrend saying about the GT350/R. "If you buy this car you will not be disappointed."

I have watched a couple of their videos and then that was enough for me. I didn't enjoy the videos enough to watch more.

I'm pretty sure that at least some of the guys from Motortrend have said that the GT350/R is more fun to drive, whether on track or not. "Better" is a poor word choice in my opinion as it implies that there's a single concrete measurement that tells you how much fun you will have driving a car. Motortrend regularly gives the Miata great reviews and says it's more fun than other cars. And that includes on track driving. I might own one if they had just a little more leg and head room. I just don't quite fit in a Miata, especially with a helmet on. The one time I rode in one on a road course I was pretty distracted trying to keep my helmet off the roof and roll bar. I had a ride in a modded convertible Miata on an autocross course and that was awesome.

some people DID seem to argue that the zle wasnt a better track car than the 350. hence a lot of the discussion.

i agree and have stated that most of the reviews say theyd rather have a gt350 over a zle for a daily driver as its more compliant, but there were a COUPLE of reviews that said they would prefer the ss 1le for that role as well. I did quote part of the article where it was stated already from motortrend.
I definitely believe that people said they would prefer the SS 1LE over the ZL1 1LE. The ZL1 1LE is too over the top for most people.

Last edited:

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A

The motortrend quote on the SS 1LE was about handling, not preference to own (unless I'm looking at the wrong quote).

Regardless, the biggest reason most reviewers would rather own the GT350/R is because of the FPC V8 powertrain, which is pretty hard to argue with imo.

I'm just thankful both companies continue to push each other to make better products. I hope one of the magazines does a Mach 1 HP vs SS 1LE comparo, although obviously the Camaro will still have the price advantage.

Sponsored

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
The motortrend quote on the SS 1LE was about handling, not preference to own (unless I'm looking at the wrong quote).

Regardless, the biggest reason most reviewers would rather own the GT350/R is because of the FPC V8 powertrain, which is pretty hard to argue with imo.

I'm just thankful both companies continue to push each other to make better products. I hope one of the magazines does a Mach 1 HP vs SS 1LE comparo, although obviously the Camaro will still have the price advantage.
yeah, ive struggled to find the exact quote im referring to. I believe it was in a video but ive watched and read so many things by this point the abundance of information can be quite hard to find particular parts. they mentioned the zle being a great track car but a bit harsh for a DD. Mentioning that the ss 1le was a bit of an unsung hero and would be their personal choice for an all around DD/track day car. I wouldnt just make this up to fit a narrative. I also completely agree a lot of reviewers preferred the gt350,zl1, zle..or whatever.. and thats fine.

i agree completely the powertrain is great. The car is great as well. At a certain point it comes down to personal preference, use, and cost. Not all will agree on these parts, which is why there is even a preference for some people that like the coyote power curve over the voodoo for a daily driver, and vice versa. so hearing a reviewer say they would prefer one over the other shouldnt bother someone. Im not bothered by the ones that prefer the gt350. It IS a little bothersome when people act like there is not a chance anyone would pick the other one over their own personal choice though.

i agree completely. I am excited for the mach 1 to come out. Im am ready to see how it competes against the camaro as well as the gt350. I hope it does very well tbh and would someday like to own one regardless.

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
ZLE for the LT4 and that's not even mentioning how much better the Alpha is than the s550. Yeah, the 350 is probably more liveable but for cars like this that's low on the checklist. These are super car level performing cars so some stiffness is to be expected. Both great cars but the ZLE is on another level or five

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
yeah, ive struggled to find the exact quote im referring to. I believe it was in a video but ive watched and read so many things by this point the abundance of information can be quite hard to find particular parts. they mentioned the zle being a great track car but a bit harsh for a DD. Mentioning that the ss 1le was a bit of an unsung hero and would be their personal choice for an all around DD/track day car. I wouldnt just make this up to fit a narrative. I also completely agree a lot of reviewers preferred the gt350,zl1, zle..or whatever.. and thats fine.

i agree completely the powertrain is great. The car is great as well. At a certain point it comes down to personal preference, use, and cost. Not all will agree on these parts, which is why there is even a preference for some people that like the coyote power curve over the voodoo for a daily driver, and vice versa. so hearing a reviewer say they would prefer one over the other shouldnt bother someone. Im not bothered by the ones that prefer the gt350. It IS a little bothersome when people act like there is not a chance anyone would pick the other one over their own personal choice though.

i agree completely. I am excited for the mach 1 to come out. Im am ready to see how it competes against the camaro as well as the gt350. I hope it does very well tbh and would someday like to own one regardless.
You'll probably be pretty disappointed with the Mach on competing with the gt350 or 1LE but we'll see.

Ricky_Bobby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack

Dude, we get it. You're a fanboi of the Zl1 el1 ssle1 lol. Just curious do you currently own or have previously owned a GT350 or ZL1 EL1 or do you just watch youtube and take what other people say as verbatim? The reason I ask is because it's pretty tough to get a feel for a car by watching internet videos and reading publishers numbers about a car. I know personally, I was always an import guy until I drove the GT350. It was easily the most emotionally stimulating car I've ever driven. That was why I bought it and then whipple'd it. Not because motortrend or savagegoose said told me it did a certain lap time or 0 to 60 time. And now with a whipple I regularly curb stomp any camaro I've ever come across including your zle 1zl and feel that much better because my car isn't the ugliest cheap plastic looking modern muscle car with terrible proportions lol.

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Dude, we get it. You're a fanboi of the Zl1 el1 ssle1 lol. Just curious do you currently own or have previously owned a GT350 or ZL1 EL1 or do you just watch youtube and take what other people say as verbatim? The reason I ask is because it's pretty tough to get a feel for a car by watching internet videos and reading publishers numbers about a car. I know personally, I was always an import guy until I drove the GT350. It was easily the most emotionally stimulating car I've ever driven. That was why I bought it and then whipple'd it. Not because motortrend or savagegoose said told me it did a certain lap time or 0 to 60 time. And now with a whipple I regularly curb stomp any camaro I've ever come across including your zle 1zl and feel that much better because my car isn't the ugliest cheap plastic looking modern muscle car with terrible proportions lol.
I've driven all 3 and the gt350 is a very very very distant 3rd 🤷‍♂️
Sponsored