Sponsored

Mustang vs GTI, Concerned with Handling

Stoked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Focus RS/2016 GT350/2002 Audi A4
I have a '17 GTI Autobahn 6MT as my daily. It has a few things done to it. Stage 2 High torque tune, coil packs, RS7 plugs, downpipe, CAI - all APR. That REALLY woke the little thing up. Being that it's manual, even the most basic tune (APR+) requires a new clutch. Mine started slipping at 27k.
I have a racing clutch in it now. If you go manual (more fun than DSG and doesn't require an expensive service every 40k miles), expect to replace the clutch before doing any performance mod as the clutch WILL go at some point.

My GF has a '19 EB PP with the 10 speed. We haven't raced yet but I think I'd get her. That VW is damn quick now. If I keep it, I'll be doing the intercooler next, and maybe a bigger turbo (stage 3) but it already breaks traction with ease.

Would I consider one over a Mustang? Maybe not. I have 3 Mustangs as well, and would likely not buy a GTI over a Mustang unless I needed the practicality.

I really like the idea of a turbo 4 in the Mustang (I'm old, and fondly remember the SVO - I also have a Merkur with my son)and if Ford built them like VW does, it would be a LOT more attractive to me.

The Mustang also, is by far a better looking car. The GTI is great, especially MK7 and newer (the MQB platform in general is pretty great, I'm looking heavily at an Audi RS3 right now) but if you can get a Mustang for the same money, its worth considering. GTIs are pretty cheap though.
Sponsored

Stoked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think if your stuck on a 4 banger, take a look at the Veloster N. It'll smoke the GTI or the EB Mustang, is functional, is available with an manual or Dual clutch trans, and the price is comparable. I don't think anyone would disagree on the Mustang looking better than any of them.
Before my GF bought her Mustang, she had a Veloster N. Good car, really fun, but not faster than her Mustang (EB PP A10), I verified that myself ;)

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
Before my GF bought her Mustang, she had a Veloster N. Good car, really fun, but not faster than her Mustang (EB PP A10), I verified that myself ;)
And what is the cost for a EB PP with A10? At least 40k I would imagine. (talking brand new)

Hell, I'll sell my 2017 GT PP right now for 40k, and its got 800 HP

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
And what is the cost for a EB PP with A10?
33.3k for 101A, AE, PP, M6 in 2019 dollars. So 35k for A10 unless Ford jiggered the PP price upward a chunk like they did for the GT. I ended up tossing pretty much everything from the PP package and put far better aftermarket items on so unless you don't intend to mod your car, skip the PP and take that money and get actually good parts.

Stoked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
She paid $28,500 for the Veloster N in August of '19. It was a '20, stickered for $32k. She bought the Mustang in March of this year. It's a 201A pkg with the Recaros and B/O Play (sound/security pkg or something like it). She got it for $31.500 and free interest for 7 yrs. I'd have to look at her sticker again, but I think it was close to $38 or something like that for the Mustang.

My GTI stickered for $35k when it was new....Shocking, TBH. I'd have just gone with a Golf R at that point. Must be why the VW dealer told me the set up I have was pretty rare at the time.

Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'07 A4, '19 Ram Rebel
Have to ask, what trans are we talking?

As @Stoked said, you're gonna need a new clutch if you go St1, so that makes a $700 flash more expensive, while I can't speak for experience about the Mustang.

Ex had a blue Golf 1.8t, that thing was a Champ for what it was, took it from Alamoghetto NM (Her hometown) to Denver to Kansas city to Chattanooga where we flashed it (from 170hp to 245, 199 to 316tq?) back to Jersey, and it was PACKED to the prim with all her stuff as she moved in. After that, added a RSB, really transformed the car, and threw in a AFE dry filter, didn't notice anything from that.

Golf/GTI don't have a Twinscroll Turbo, so they'll make more power from flashes and unless you're pushing it hard constantly, think the VW would beat out the Mustang in most regards, although I had a 6A vert, so the weight difference might of hampered the experience, plus hear the 10a's a lot better.

That said, being in Texas, I'd definitely recommend an Intercooler for both, as while September in Dallas was much nicer than here in Dirty Jerzy, still hot down there and you don't wanna heatsoak, so definitely FMIC and Chargepipes.

Looks wise is no question, and despite how I leaned, I'd get another Ecoboost again, although a HPP, even if I just replace most parts, as in the meantime, just better to have.

Just my long winded two cents

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
Your are comparing an apple to an orange imo. Front drive versus rear drive. With that said I owned a new mk7 GTI in a manual before trading it in for my 18 GT a10 pp1. Cars feel totally different. The GTI was fun to drive and felt fast although the v8 mustang would run off and hide from it. GTI versus ecoboost mustang I would do VW all day. Jmo...

GTI had a piggyback +7 psi, catless dp, and large aftermarket IC btw. Very solid feeling car for only 2900 curb.
Sponsored

Last edited: