Sponsored

Mustang vs. Camaro: Motor Trend All Time

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
There is no money at track days. Money at events where you compete for money doesn't feature $50k, 3600 pound street cars. Once again, for guys that are track rats, that have kids, and need that back seat, and can't afford a second, or third car as a daily as well, will appreciate the back seats and the amazing performance. And what performance are you sacrificing with a 1LE? Look how many cars it decimates at the track that are dedicated 2 seater sports cars.
So performance isn’t the most important aspect then? Sorry I was just on C6G.
Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Lol, now I've seen everything. A thread with a former iroc z owner who admits he regularly got beat by fox bodies back in the day!
The truth is the truth that's why he switched to the better car Mustang

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I grew up a literal stones throw away from Chevy in the hole in Flint mi. Owned a Camaro, Trans Am, and mostly all chevy's. Love my 2018 5.0

Sponsored

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
Lol, now I've seen everything. A thread with a former iroc z owner who admits he regularly got beat by fox bodies back in the day!
Bone stock the 5.0 and 350 IROC were a very even match. The Fox was just so easy to mod in comparison. 15 min after you got it home you pulled the air silencer and added 4deg timing and it was the quicker car, next day you punched out the cats and deleted the smog pump.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
I think I read somewhere that camaro is throwing in the towel again in a few years?

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I think I read somewhere that camaro is throwing in the towel again in a few years?
Yeah, the WOTS is they won't develop the Camaro for the new Alpha 2 platform, so that means the 6th gen is the last and ends when the current platform is OEL'ed, which I understand is targeted for 2022/23.

Given there's only a 2-3 model years left, I wonder if they'll proceed with any new development, given how mediocre sales are. One of the things constantly talked about is using the LT5 (from the ZR1), in a Camaro, some variant of the ZL1 (some people suggested it could be a Z/28 model).

See this is where sales do affect the product, if the revenue dries up, it gets stagnant, and at worst case, gets cancelled.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, the WOTS is they won't develop the Camaro for the new Alpha 2 platform, so that means the 6th gen is the last and ends when the current platform is OEL'ed, which I understand is targeted for 2022/23.

Given there's only a 2-3 model years left, I wonder if they'll proceed with any new development, given how mediocre sales are. One of the things constantly talked about is using the LT5 (from the ZR1), in a Camaro, some variant of the ZL1 (some people suggested it could be a Z/28 model).

See this is where sales do affect the product, if the revenue dries up, it gets stagnant, and at worst case, gets cancelled.
If sales keep dropping I can't see GM brass letting them spend anymore money on it. It will be like what Ford did to the Taurus only change paint colors and some trim and wait for it to die.

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Nawwwww the Camaro is fine. ATP and all that good sh!t. It's GMs sales plan to offer a more exclusive car. Mustangs are about 75% fleet sales anyway.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Camaro is in the same position Mustang and Challenger are in.

Mustang is staying on S550 instead of moving to S650. Ford may move Mustang to S650 or something else after 2026. Or they may not.

Challenger is staying on LX/LY instead of moving to Giorgio. Word on the street is it may never move to Giorgio. Got that from a very knowledgeable source who got it from Sergio. Of course that had to have been quite a while ago. :crying: For those who doubt, he let that slip on an Autoline broadcast, so there is video evidence of him telling me that. If it doesn’t move to Giorgio, I’m hard pressed to figure out where it actually goes.

Camaro is staying on Alpha instead of moving to Alpha2. That will carry Camaro through 2023. After that, there are at least 3 choices....
1) Move to Alpha2 (unlikely)
2) Move to another platform that I am not currently at liberty to identify (most likely)
3) [EcoVert’s personal favorite] be discontinued (2nd most likely)

Option 2 includes the potential for various forms of electrification.

Speaking of electrification...just read today that Hellcat will be getting 48V Hybrid in the near future. That oughta be interesting.

Shane361

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2015 Competition Orange Procharged GT
Vehicle Showcase