Sponsored

Mustang V8 vs Ecoboost

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Time to rip out the interrior and get rid of the spare tire.
if you have a full cage why not get rid of the entire doors and the glass? Or is that in poor taste?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
if you have a full cage why not get rid of the entire doors and the glass? Or is that in poor taste?
I bet taking out that pesky engine would be a huge weight reduction.

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
because the epa won’t let me be? :p

AngelsofVerdun

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Base w/ PP1 & 6 SPD
My two cents:

I have recently purchased a '15 Mustang GT PP1, and I have also extensively driven my mother's '18 EB Premium model. Although the EB is not "slow," I found the GT--upon first test drive--to be noticeably faster. Furthermore, I did notice the weight difference--which was not really unwieldy, comparatively speaking. Overall, the interior on my mother's car is much nicer--heated/cooled leather seats, Sync 3 touch w/ nav, eqp 401a gauge display, etc...). Even given all of that, I would definitely hop in my base '15 GT PP1 over the EB w/ kit any day. My preference is biased towards sound/power over everything that the EB offers, however. For some drivers, the increased fuel efficiency and lower cost of entry for the top trim features will outweigh the sound/power of the 5.0.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
I just replaced my 2017 EB premium with a 2017 GT PP. As the EB was not a performance pack, my views might be a little biased but the difference was night and day. The GT feels better in most aspects IMO. I prefer the handling feel of the GT in the corners but that could also be the PP additions making up for the added weight. I have only had the GT for a week now so I haven't had the time yet to really push it and see the limits yet. The GT feels more stable. I have never driven a non-PP GT so maybe if I had a true comparison it might change my mind.

Overall I really liked the EB and coming from a European/Japanese car background, I liked the turbo 4 cylinder concept. I really wanted to mod it and make a fast EB but at the end of the day, I just could not stomach that exhaust note. It is the worst sounding 4 cylinder.

When I bought the EB, the GT was out of my price range at the time because I wanted the premium interior, so I never drove the GT until just recently. When I purchased the EB, I was also looking at a Focus ST3. Had I test driven a GT, I would have never bought the EB and probably would have just bought the Focus.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I liked the turbo 4 cylinder concept. I really wanted to mod it and make a fast EB but at the end of the day, I just could not stomach that exhaust note. It is the worst sounding 4 cylinder.
On 495/DC Belway this evening a black base EB/A10 was hounding/harassing a Lambo. The EB sounded horrid, but it had a BOV because I could clearly hear it wooshing. Lambo dude was revving his engine up and down. My EB had AE and it really does help.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
As others said, the EB will turn better due to lighter weight if you have the same tires on both a GT and an EB. The smaller the course and tighter the turns the better the EB will do relatively. Anything much larger than a parking lot and the GT will be faster (assuming equal drivers).

I agree a couple hundred pounds of weight difference is a little subtle. 500+ lbs can be very noticeable, but another big factor is how high off the ground the CoG is. The Mustang has a relatively high CoG, so it needs stiffer springs to control body motion compared to something very light and low like a BRZ or C5 Corvette. My Fiesta ST is about 1,000 lbs lighter than a Mustang, but even with really stiff springs it doesn't corner that well due to the high CoG.

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost, 6sp, PP, 2017 GT Convertible
Let's assume drivers are at the same capacity to drive both vehicles at their limit. My guess on a road course available to most people that the V8 ought to be the faster option. Doesn't the Ecoboost's lighter weight account for anything? What about in more tight techinical corners like in Canyons? Would the GT still win?

I do not want to get into the whole "it's about who's pockets are deeper," thing, but what if you took the cost of a Performance Package and dumped that interest free money into upgrades on the Ecoboost? Could the Ecoboost edge out the GT with $13k of upgrades?

I just like pondering over ideas in my head.
If this question is really whether a bone stock base EB is faster (on a road course) than a similar base GT, all else being equal, then it's safe to say the GT should be faster. But if the question is, can I make an EB as fast as a base GT, for the same cost as a base GT, then it gets a bit muddier. I bought a new EB PP 6spd in 2018 for $25,400. I have spent close to $5K adding GT PP Brembos, Ford Performance Track Pack suspension, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, larger intercooler, and 19x11 wheels with 305/30 Supercar 3Rs (I do all my own work, which helps). On a short track, I can keep up with most vehicles, regardless of power. But on long tracks, like Road America, higher horsepower cars will always pull away down the long straights. I usually catch back up under braking and through the "twisty bits". However, I have been doing HPDE since 1997, and experience trumps just about EVERYTHING else on a road course. So, had I spent $30K on a new 2018 GT (which was probably not possible, at the time, more like $32K), I can say with a high degree of certainty, that it would not be as fast (on a road course) as my modified $30K EB. But obviously, if I spend the same $5K on the GT, then it would be faster than my EB.

All this does is reinforce the universal truth in motorsports, Money=Speed.

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
If this question is really whether a bone stock base EB is faster (on a road course) than a similar base GT, all else being equal, then it's safe to say the GT should be faster. But if the question is, can I make an EB as fast as a base GT, for the same cost as a base GT, then it gets a bit muddier. I bought a new EB PP 6spd in 2018 for $25,400. I have spent close to $5K adding GT PP Brembos, Ford Performance Track Pack suspension, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, larger intercooler, and 19x11 wheels with 305/30 Supercar 3Rs (I do all my own work, which helps). On a short track, I can keep up with most vehicles, regardless of power. But on long tracks, like Road America, higher horsepower cars will always pull away down the long straights. I usually catch back up under braking and through the "twisty bits". However, I have been doing HPDE since 1997, and experience trumps just about EVERYTHING else on a road course. So, had I spent $30K on a new 2018 GT (which was probably not possible, at the time, more like $32K), I can say with a high degree of certainty, that it would not be as fast (on a road course) as my modified $30K EB. But obviously, if I spend the same $5K on the GT, then it would be faster than my EB.

All this does is reinforce the universal truth in motorsports, Money=Speed.
After doing two HDPE days, I have a lot to learn still.

Sponsored

SloRyd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I have taken my 17GT and a 2020 EB up Angeles Crest highway which is a pretty intense road. I could feel the weight difference between the cars through the elevation changes.

The EB is more than capable, it just doesn’t spark the same joy when I hit the on button.

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have taken my 17GT and a 2020 EB up Angeles Crest highway which is a pretty intense road. I could feel the weight difference between the cars through the elevation changes.

The EB is more than capable, it just doesn’t spark the same joy when I hit the on button.
Oh yes. I also have a 2017 GT Convertible. Just starting that car up in the garage, with stock exhaust, brings a smile to my face. The Ecoboost sounds no different than my wife's Mazda CX-5 :(

SVO MkII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So do these...they're all the same engine.

1620697145795.png

1620697199020.png
Yep, you can turn just about any motor into a race motor, if you replace enough parts. Another example;
1620738923901.png

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
That one was a little different. It sounded like a Formula Ford.

The Ford/Mazda engine we use has been around for a while and in all sorts of cars. They all sound like tractors to me, but I'm much more interested in how the car performs than how it sounds.
Sponsored