Sponsored

Mustang V8 vs Ecoboost

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
Let's assume drivers are at the same capacity to drive both vehicles at their limit. My guess on a road course available to most people that the V8 ought to be the faster option. Doesn't the Ecoboost's lighter weight account for anything? What about in more tight techinical corners like in Canyons? Would the GT still win?

I do not want to get into the whole "it's about who's pockets are deeper," thing, but what if you took the cost of a Performance Package and dumped that interest free money into upgrades on the Ecoboost? Could the Ecoboost edge out the GT with $13k of upgrades?

I just like pondering over ideas in my head.
Sponsored

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
According to Ford, fastback manual is a difference of 201 LBS.
11.4 LBS per HP for the ECO
8.13 LBS per hp for the GT
with 13K in upgrades sure the ECO will be much faster than a stock GT, im not sure many would argue that point.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
On a road course, probably not, but HPDE events aren’t races so faster doesn’t really matter, and if you’re builing for a specific racing series we have to look at the class rules.

On an autox course, maybe because on paper the lighter front end should help, if you don’t add that weight back on with turbo and cooling mods.

if you’re trying to talk youself into buying an ecoboost, and the difference in exhaust note isn’t a deal killer right there, then go for it. 13k is a lot of sets of track tires and seat time. Me, I’d look for a gently used GT instead.

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On a road course, probably not, but HPDE events aren’t races so faster doesn’t really matter, and if you’re builing for a specific racing series we have to look at the class rules.

On an autox course, maybe because on paper the lighter front end should help, if you don’t add that weight back on with turbo and cooling mods.

if you’re trying to talk youself into buying an ecoboost, and the difference in exhaust note isn’t a deal killer right there, then go for it. 13k is a lot of sets of track tires and seat time. Me, I’d look for a gently used GT instead.
I have had my GT for a year and a half with 38k miles on it. It was a show car. Just been wondering how the Ecobeast is. I always enjoy lighter cars.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I have had my GT for a year and a half with 38k miles on it. It was a show car. Just been wondering how the Ecobeast is. I always enjoy lighter cars.
I don’t understand how people can feel anything less than like a thousand pounds.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t understand how people can feel anything less than like a thousand pounds.
it was plain as day to me, switching between my V8 and EB. The Mustang is a lard-ass in both trims so it doesn't really matter.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it was plain as day to me, switching between my V8 and EB. The Mustang is a lard-ass in both trims so it doesn't really matter.
I should have given the ecoboost a shot. Just didn't want the motor giving out at 70k miles.

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
The lighter front can be an advantage for something like autocross, thus why the EB is classed higher than the GT for SCCA street classes. On a road course, the small weight advantage will not be enough to overcome the power deficit unless it's significantly modded. 430-450 reliable whp is easy to achieve with the GT, but requires a good bit of mods from the 2.3L (and I wouldn't push the regular 2.3 that hard, just the HPP with the closed deck).

In general, get a lightly used GT unless you really like turbos or the EB ticks particular boxes. Performance pack a must to get torsen, brembos and unique ABS, EPAS calibrations.

Sponsored

BlackMambaGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gord
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
I drove a 2018 Eco Premium A10 for a year before the traded it for a 2019 GT Premium A10. I didn't notice the added weight of the GT. The GT definitely handles better, but I feel that's due to the tires. The Eco had the 18" wheel with the PZero A/S tires. The GT came with the 20" wheels and Eagle F1 A/S tires.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Problem is it's not that much lighter. And still a big car.

Can 13K in mods make a car faster? Sure, but only if they are the RIGHT mods. And remember some stuff is downgraded on the Ecoboost version so you have to spend money to just match what is stock on a GT. Plus no warranty.

Are you wasting money on non performance options (Premium package)? If so you probably already spent half the money you need to upgrade.

Plus every review I have seen of the Ecoboost version says buy the GT, or at least that the Mustang Ecoboost is blah at best.

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Problem is it's not that much lighter. And still a big car.

Can 13K in mods make a car faster? Sure, but only if they are the RIGHT mods. And remember some stuff is downgraded on the Ecoboost version so you have to spend money to just match what is stock on a GT. Plus no warranty.

Are you wasting money on non performance options (Premium package)? If so you probably already spent half the money you need to upgrade.

Plus every review I have seen of the Ecoboost version says buy the GT, or at least that the Mustang Ecoboost is blah at best.
I think Randy Pobst enjoyed the Ecobeast.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I think Randy Pobst enjoyed the Ecobeast.
Article? Everything I remember from Car & Driver, Road and Track, and MotorTrend was pretty non complimentary for the Ecowimp. Some of the (later) GT reviews haven't been great until you get to the upgrade models (PP, PP2, etc.). Even the upgraded version of the EB Performance Pack with more power (that they quit making after 1 year?), I forget what it was called, didn't impress (maybe because it was an extra 20hp, for like an extra $5000?).

I do agree with whoever said the EB makes a decent autocross platform. As weight and balance are more important there than power.

But if you want it, get it. In the end you are the one who needs to be happy.

MattSin97

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Let's assume drivers are at the same capacity to drive both vehicles at their limit. My guess on a road course available to most people that the V8 ought to be the faster option. Doesn't the Ecoboost's lighter weight account for anything? What about in more tight techinical corners like in Canyons? Would the GT still win?

I do not want to get into the whole "it's about who's pockets are deeper," thing, but what if you took the cost of a Performance Package and dumped that interest free money into upgrades on the Ecoboost? Could the Ecoboost edge out the GT with $13k of upgrades?

I just like pondering over ideas in my head.
I live in the mountains and I always catch up to GT's on mountain/canyon roads (I have an Ecoboost). I'm not sure if it is just people not used to driving their car or a home field advantage. If you train with anything you are going to get good at it. But i'm sure with upgrades (handling/tune/intercooler/ etc., the Ecoboost is formidable.
Sponsored