Sponsored

Mustang stuck at rail yard for over a month?

SL8888

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT-350 # K1989
Keep the faith Giovanni, Spring is around the corner and I'm sure that your new long awaited GT will be a "Head Turner". It really will be worth the wait for your new baby,
just think of those poor bastards whose baby is in a cargo hold on the bottom of the ocean because of those "save the planet" electric cars......
Sponsored

OP
OP
Lunixor

Lunixor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Giovanni
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Curious if the dealer, agreements, shipping companies, etc., are holding the car and awaiting others to arrive, so as to be most efficient by delivering multiple vehicles at once to the dealer.

I cannot begin to imagine your frustration, but from someone looking at spreadsheets, shipping schedules, loads and numbers of cars moving, these factors could explain the wait.

Have you noticed, has the dealer received other new cars?
My dealer has other 2022 Mustangs that have arrived, although only Ecoboosts and no GTs.

I spoke to a couple other dealers in the area and they said that their 2022 orders were only at the rail yard for about 2-3 days before getting delivered, so a 1+ month hold was out of the ordinary. There are no current backlogs as far as they are aware.

At this point, it appears that there is nothing you or your dealer can do. It sounds like if your dealer could go to the holding lot and get your car, they would. My advice is don’t burn bridges as it is not going to get your Mustang to you any faster and could hurt getting things done in the future. IOW, Don’t be a Karen!
Yeah it’s unfortunate but I’m pretty sure the dealer has exhausted their options. This one is on Ford. The amount of bureaucracy also makes it impossible to find out what’s actually going on. The people I talk to know nothing, and the people who know something don’t talk.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I am going to go out on a limb here and speculate, so please forgive me if I say something that someone sees as incorrect or misleading. Here is what I see as "chain of custody" of that car from Ford's production plant to you:

Ford --> Train Company --> Truck Company --> Dealership --> YOU

Let's say something happened to the car while the car was on the Train -- some kind of damage or issue during loading or transport. Ford is the entity that sets up the relationship with the Train Company for shipment, and if the Train Company reports that there was damage to the car during rail shipment, maybe they tell Ford "something happened" and Ford's response is to NOT allow release of the car from the Train Company to the Truck Company. Again, I'm only imagining and purely speculating here. So if something is keeping the Truck company from getting the car, then maybe either Ford and/or the Train Company still has "ownership" (custody) of the car and is trying to figure out what to do.

Hoping there is really nothing wrong with your car and there is just some bad mix-up or communication.
Hope nothing is wrong and it is a paperwork/logistics screw-up. So as to remove one more variable, there's a front office at the rail yard, yes? Worst that could happen is they turn you away, but I wonder if you simply walk up and explain yourself (without being a Karen) if you'd get any insight at all.

*Edit...Thinking about this further, my advice is bad and would most likely result in an immediate fail. While the production of the car is the result of your order, the car resting in the railyard right now remains the property of Ford.

Last edited:

Ogopogo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Prem Vert, 2020 Mazda CX-5 GT Turb
I spoke to a couple other dealers in the area and they said that their 2022 orders were only at the rail yard for about 2-3 days before getting delivered, so a 1+ month hold was out of the ordinary. There are no current backlogs as far as they are aware.

Yeah it’s unfortunate but I’m pretty sure the dealer has exhausted their options. This one is on Ford. The amount of bureaucracy also makes it impossible to find out what’s actually going on. The people I talk to know nothing, and the people who know something don’t talk.
I have a GT Premium Convertible that has supposedly been sitting in the Flat Rock yard since the end of January waiting on a rail car. That was as of the first week in March. I have not checked/heard from the dealer since then. In my case, the the vehicle is railed to Calgary and then put on an auto carrier for the remainder of the trip to the Okanagan.

I have not been in a hurry mostly because it won't be top down weather here until April anyway. However, I will be pushing again in a week's time. I would hope it will have at least arrived in Calgary by then. Of the four dealers in the valley, there are only 3 2022 Mustangs (GTs) showing on their lot inventory. I've been told deliveries have been sparse.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Didn't CP rail just lock out all there employees ? Maybe that has something to do with it cause they were in talks for the last couple months.

Sponsored

RichBrew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2019 Velocity Blue EBPP
Vehicle Showcase
To the OP and anyone else that might have a car that sits in a railyard for a long time. I found the following post (click here) on the Maverick Truck Club Forum, and wanted to share it since it seemed to chime in with the long railyard wait we've been discussing on this thread.

Capture.PNG
the advice is good, but the method is not. Do not clay a car that has fallout until after using an iron remover like ironx. This will get rid of any iron particles that would scratch more even with clay. After that it’s safe to clay.

when I ordered my 2019, I made sure to give the dealer specific instructions to ‘back it off the truck, turn it off, walk away’ so that the dealer wouldn’t install the free swirl marks. When I got it home 2 hours after it rolled off the truck it was still filthy from transit. I rinsed, did an iron remover, and then washed with the 2 bucket method. The paint was flawless, and has had no issues since.

1badguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang
FYI: located in Canada, not the USA.

I factory ordered a 2022 Mustang GT back in November. It was subsequently built on January 13th and it landed at my local rail yard on February 10th. The original delivery ETA was February 8-14, however it got pushed to March 8-14 after it landed, and I'm not sure what it is now.

It has now been over a month and car is still sitting at the rail yard apparently. I have inquired multiple times with the dealership and they tell me they've spoken to their Ford rep who has given no other information other than "quality assurance purposes".

It feels a bit ridiculous that the car has been sitting 15 minutes away from my house for this long and there is seemingly nothing that can be done about it, and no one has a concrete answer as to why.

It's worth noting that other dealerships in the area have Mustang GTs on their lots which were built after mine, so it's not like it's a delay that's equally affecting all cars.

Has anyone else run into this issue before? Should I bother calling Ford customer service or just wait it out? I spoke to a salesperson from another dealer who told me I should put more pressure on my dealership to get answers, but I'm not really a confrontational person. I think I'd be fine waiting if they could at least give me a reason for the delay and an accurate ETA, but I digress.
This also happened to me the rail yard was only 3 miles away I was informed this will happen when they don't have enough cars to send the truck to the yard for pickup.

Ogopogo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Prem Vert, 2020 Mazda CX-5 GT Turb
Didn't CP rail just lock out all there employees ? Maybe that has something to do with it cause they were in talks for the last couple months.
That could be a problem for myself but the Vancouver fellow says his car is presumably off loaded and in the rail yard in Vancouver, i.e. the rail journey is finished and it just needs picking up by the truck. That said, if the yard is being picketed, no union driver will cross that picket line.

Nuzzman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
1999 Ford Ranger XLT Extended Cab,2017 Mustang Con
Something is up. I have a car sitting in Flat Rock which is a direct truck ship to my dealer. It’s a 3.5 hour drive. No answers from Ford which is not uncommon. I wonder if there is a “product hold” on Mustangs? The car has been built for almost 3 weeks. Original scheduled build date of first week of February. Ice white Gt. I have a 93 summer edition white convertible. Bookend cars.
Congrats on getting the Ice White Package it's a beautiful look.I am in the process of ordering a 2022 GT Premium Convertible as I have a 2017 that I am upgrading.I am getting Oxford White but I can't get that option because the wheels only come in 19" and I want 20" wheels.Hope you get your car soon and post some pictures.

The stang dude

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 Auto
Yup CP rail is on strike. I'm curious how fast everyone received their VINs to begin tracking their cars. Mine was purchased Jan 28, 2022 but no info on the order since that date. Dealer was quick to take my money but slow to answer my phone calls.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Canadian dealers still jacked up on COVID welfare that's 70% of their cash flow. They don't actually want to sell any cars because the increased sales will reduce their welfare which is far more profitable.
Asinine comment of the year right here folks.

Fastoldman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2021 Iconic Silver Mach 1, 13 Viper GTS, 22 Ram CC
1Badguy............you are quite correct because I was often frustrated knowing a customer's car was sitting at a rail yard 40 miles away and Dealers were not allowed to come and pick up the Vehicles. I wandered down to just look many years ago and I saw a ton railcars in the area, but the holding area was jam packed to the point they could not even unload the railcars. Compound that with a shortage of truckers ( this is not something new , this has been a concern for many years prior to Covid ) and it was not unusual for a vehicle to be there for 3 weeks. Drove every Dealer crazy, but you got to the point that when you gave a customer an estimate you figured that in. I actually explained the situation to my customers so they knew the car was close , but a normal unloading and shipping process was usually 2 weeks. I had to admit actually seeing the number of cars that had to be moved, the number of railcars, it made a bit more sense, though, of course, it was still frustrating.

bblack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
brad
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt
My ice white landed at dealership last night. Finally. Built for almost a month. Direct truck, no rail to dealer, 3/12 hrs away. Oh well it’s here.