Sponsored

Mustang smokes on idle when on incline?

Rafael707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
So the mustang in question is a 2018 5.0 with 15k on the odometer.

So when the car is leveled on the pavement I get no smoke on idle, even when I’m driving no smoke, I never had to top off the oil so I don’t think I’m burning much if any.

The problem is when on cold start or even when the car is warm, when I back the car out my garage onto my driveway, my driveway sits on a incline maybe 35-45degree angle. So I let my car idle on that incline driveway and when it sits there for maybe like 10mins it starts to smoke from the exhaust until I get to the leveled pavement and drive a little bit it clears out and stops smoking?

I don’t have a oil catch can, could it be from that? Or can it be some underlying issue?

Thanks in advance and happy turkey day
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
So the mustang in question is a 2018 5.0 with 15k on the odometer.

So when the car is leveled on the pavement I get no smoke on idle, even when I’m driving no smoke, I never had to top off the oil so I don’t think I’m burning much if any.

The problem is when on cold start or even when the car is warm, when I back the car out my garage onto my driveway, my driveway sits on a incline maybe 35-45degree angle. So I let my car idle on that incline driveway and when it sits there for maybe like 10mins it starts to smoke from the exhaust until I get to the leveled pavement and drive a little bit it clears out and stops smoking?

I don’t have a oil catch can, could it be from that? Or can it be some underlying issue?

Thanks in advance and happy turkey day
My guess is the very steep angle of the engine introduced by the sloped driveway is causing oil to get into the combustion chamber or to leak out of the valve covers. Is it only coming out of the exhaust or from the engine bay? Any visible leak spots in the engine?

45* driveway is ridiculously steep, I would not be running my car for long on that type of incline. I'm surprised you can actually get up on it without scraping.

OP
OP

Rafael707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
My guess is the very steep angle of the engine introduced by the sloped driveway is causing oil to get into the combustion chamber or to leak out of the valve covers. Is it only coming out of the exhaust or from the engine bay? Any visible leak spots in the engine?

45* driveway is ridiculously steep, I would not be running my car for long on that type of incline. I'm surprised you can actually get up on it without scraping.

no leaks under the car whatsoever, no leaks anywhere and the only visible smoke is coming from the tailpipe.

suprisingly the car doesn’t scrape going up it on stock height.

Last edited:

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
I have a concrete pad that’s on an incline that’s facing uphill and the vehicles I park on it do the same thing.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
What does the smoke smell like?
What color is the smoke?
Does the orientation of the car matter? Meaning nose down or sideways?

Sponsored

Kurt in VT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kurt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium, 2014 Toyota 4Runner
Are you sure it’s oil smoke? Cars run rich at start up, so you may just be seeing that (or water vapor).

Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
When I was buying my house here in GA a few years ago, the realtor tried to show me a house that had a very steep incline. She couldn't understand when I told her I was not interested in seeing the inside of the house.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
When I was buying my house here in GA a few years ago, the realtor tried to show me a house that had a very steep incline. She couldn't understand when I told her I was not interested in seeing the inside of the house.
Not that there's much to mow in the posted photo, but mowing a lawn that steep must be a solid workout.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Robo lawnmower to the rescue. I can see those little wheels spinning.

Not that there's much to mow in the posted photo, but mowing a lawn that steep must be a solid workout.

Pero

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pero
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Fastback Ingot Silver MT82 MagneRide B&O
...my driveway sits on a incline maybe 35-45degree angle...
What? 35-45° ?
This is insane!
How do you even fight approach angle with this low long front lip of your GT?
Are you willing to share with us a picture of this remarkable driveway?
Sponsored