Sponsored

Mustang Shelby GT500 will produce 760 horsepower and 625 lb-ft of torque

Z_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Import
I'd like to see what HP curve that engine makes at the same RPM where it makes 625 TQ. That's is the key HP.
The closer these two numbers are (HP & TQ) as their final numbers, the better power engine you got.
Sponsored

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
It'll give the Red Eye a black eye.

This power level is a lot more than most can manage but the way I see it is it's the right balance between the Hellcat and the ZL1 - brawn and finesse. And then there's the DCT.

Adrian8544

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium (RIP) 2016 Mustang GT Premium
Wow, very impressive. I think however, I can speak for maybe 75% of the people on here, it doesn’t really matter how much hp/torque, we can’t afford it anyways.:crying:

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
Right. Ford has already stated sub 11 second 1/4 mile times and mid 3 second 0-60...which is precisely where the Red Eye falls. The Red Eye might have the HP advantage, but the GT500 will have a significant weight advantage.
Well, the weight is still to be felt as everyone is waiting on that. The mid-3 second 0-60 will have to be better than 3.5 of the ZL1. I would say maybe 3.2 seconds it should be.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
Wow, very impressive. I think however, I can speak for maybe 75% of the people on here, it doesn’t really matter how much hp/torque, we can’t afford it anyways.:crying:
It does matter. Just because someone can't afford a Ford GT doesn't have anything to do with if the HP/TQ matters. It all matters.

Sponsored

Adrian8544

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium (RIP) 2016 Mustang GT Premium
It does matter. Just because someone can't afford a Ford GT doesn't have anything to do with if the HP/TQ matters. It all matters.
At the end of the day, as an enthusiast all I can hope for is a good car. And to your point you’re right, it does matter. Just saying.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
Yeah, at the power levels needed to compete in this market segment, we won’t see anymore NA motors - I think the GT350 is the last great NA domestic engine.

When the Z06 went FI, I think that was the roadmap for the super high performance domestics.
True. All manufacturers are going smaller displacement and FI. It is the way of the automotive world. The GT500 is a mere 5.2 compared to the ZR1 of 6.2. It will also be weight loss for cars to make them faster.

Some of these cars need to push away from the all you can eat buffet.

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
True. All manufacturers are going smaller displacement and FI. It is the way of the automotive world. The GT500 is a mere 5.2 compared to the ZR1 of 6.2. It will also be weight loss for cars to make them faster.

Some of these cars need to push away from the all you can eat buffet.
Weight reduction is the next battlefield for performance vehicle manufacturers.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Weight reduction is the next battlefield for performance vehicle manufacturers.
I don't think so. Cars are only getting heavier. I've been a firm believer that the next battlefield is entirely in traction and stability control. The best HP to weight ration in the world doesn't mean squat if you cant hook up....and not everyone wants to roll around on drag radials from the factory in their daily driver. Quite frankly, this is where a hybrid mustang could really shine. Use electric off the line for traction management and let the engine take over once things really start moving.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Well, the weight is still to be felt as everyone is waiting on that. The mid-3 second 0-60 will have to be better than 3.5 of the ZL1. I would say maybe 3.2 seconds it should be.
With the Red Eye coming in at a portly 4443 lbs, I think it's pretty safe to say the GT500 is going to be significantly lighter.

Sponsored

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
When do we find out the weight of this thing?

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I don't think so. Cars are only getting heavier. I've been a firm believer that the next battlefield is entirely in traction and stability control. The best HP to weight ration in the world doesn't mean squat if you cant hook up....and not everyone wants to roll around on drag radials from the factory in their daily driver. Quite frankly, this is where a hybrid mustang could really shine. Use electric off the line for traction management and let the engine take over once things really start moving.
Totally agree. Hybrid power and vectoring AWD will be the next glass ceiling for pony cars to break.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
The future is clear for the world, AWD, front wheels with 2 electric motors.
Sponsored