corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Ultimately, I don't think any of us deciding to buy our mustangs had our decision hinged on if it's a pony or muscle or sports or GT car.
This ^^^

I know that for me, classification of my S197 as a ponycar or anything else had nothing whatsoever to do with me choosing it.

What it did offer was the best combination of handling potential with at least adequate power.

I'd buy for the same reason today if I was in the market to do so. Yeah, there'd be significant competition from the SS/1LE Camaro now, that wasn't present back in 2007-2008 (and if I was to choose that way now I wouldn't give a rat's ass about owning a bowtie that's also been traditionally identified as a ponycar).

Norm
Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I am 32 years old. 1 foot in the grave.

You missed my point. Almost any car can be whatever you want it to be. You can make a drag car out of a BRZ or a Mustang.

Mustangs do excel in a straight line. They are not track cars compared to other cars. Hell I got a 4 door sedan that will out track a 350R. Ford did not do a good job making a track ready Mustang. At least at the price point they made the 350 and 500 at. For that kind of money get a Porsche and run circles around a Mustang.

The Coyote engine is a beast. Love it. It takes more power and mods with ease and for cheap. But it is not going to win any races outside of the drag strip.
I haven't missed your point, rather I'm just making my own.

Mustangs aren't fast cars anymore. There's too many really fast cars now. Model S Plaid additions are sub 2 second 0-60....that is fast.

Kennysum1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Alfa Romeo Quadraflio, 2018 TT GT Prem, 22 GT

Mustangs aren't fast cars anymore. There's too many really fast cars now. Model S Plaid additions are sub 2 second 0-60....that is fast.
Ah yea I agree. I am just disappointed at the cost of the GT350R and GT500s etc and the performance levels. I think for that kind of money there are better options unless you just really really love Mustangs. Ford missed the mark.

I do slightly disagree with comparing EVs to ICE. Yes they have 4 wheels and are technically cars but after that they share almost nothing in how they operate.

Nothing against them. I love EVs and think they are the future and pretty fucking cool. Did not want you to think I was saying that because I am just hating on EVs because I am stuck in my ways of needing a ICE car.

OP
OP
2019fordmustang

2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, BMW 545i, Mercedes E550, Mercedes E320, Kia Sorento V6

Man that model S will make your heart stop, it's insane

OP
OP
2019fordmustang

2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
Ah yea I agree. I am just disappointed at the cost of the GT350R and GT500s etc and the performance levels. I think for that kind of money there are better options unless you just really really love Mustangs. Ford missed the mark.

I do slightly disagree with comparing EVs to ICE. Yes they have 4 wheels and are technically cars but after that they share almost nothing in how they operate.

Nothing against them. I love EVs and think they are the future and pretty fucking cool. Did not want you to think I was saying that because I am just hating on EVs because I am stuck in my ways of needing a ICE car.
Agree with you!!!

Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Man that model S will make your heart stop, it's insane
Test drove the hot one a few years ago and it was pretty nuts, can only imagine the new new one.

OP
OP
2019fordmustang

2019fordmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Omar
Vehicle(s)
Test drove the hot one a few years ago and it was pretty nuts, can only imagine the new new one.
Honestly I was so anti-electric but when you consider the technological options they offer and how it makes your life so much easier by syncing with your phone it's something to consider.

BTDUBS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
My base GT is really a grand tourer. I would categorize the more performance oriented ones as sports cars to be sure.

BTDUBS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Honestly I was so anti-electric but when you consider the technological options they offer and how it makes your life so much easier by syncing with your phone it's something to consider.
My mother has a P100D Ludicrous mode, and while it is insane, face melting actually, comparing an EV is to an ICE car is like comparing a jet to a propeller aircraft, it's all relative. I prefer the efficiency of an EV, but I prefer driving an ICE car. I also don't trust Elon Musk, that stupid yoke, or self driving tech/

Weyland-Yutani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT, '17 Volvo V60 Platinum, '04 E-150
My base GT is really a grand tourer. I would categorize the more performance oriented ones as sports cars to be sure.
Right on. Mine is a "Grand Tourer" because it's mine and because I say it is so. I'm pretty existential about cars ...and Metal music genres for that matter.

Q952Dp.gif

Sponsored

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
Does it matter what "niche" you want to label it as.
What any of the labels were when started and what they have become are not even close.
A late 50's early 60's sports are was a tiny,light, under
powered but fun to toss around death trap.
Muscle cars were base cars that the oem tossed a bigger engine in the nose and hoped for the best.
Pony cars, were econobox based, bottom barrel platform cars with a styled outer skin. They did nothing well, other than look good.

Today a sports car is heavy, overpowered, and large by the 50-60's standard. maybe the mazda mx5 is the closest to the original sports car, small, not that powerful and god help you if you get hit.
The muscle cars left are the dodge, a 2 door, can seat 4 ADULTS and big engine in nose, difference is it even as it's heavy weight, handles well and stops unlike the original muscle cars.
Todays pony cars, are not based off the econobox bottom barrel platform, moved up scale but still stylish .
A shelby gt500 r will never be a muscle car, because it doesn't go like a raped ape and then scare the crap out of you when you try to take a turn or stop it. It goes like a raped ape but it stops and turns without much if any drama. no white knuckles and butt puckering unless you push it way past your skill level.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.

Ford didn't miss the mark with the gt350r and gt500's. They knew most owners would buble wrap them in a warehouse/garage and if driven, not a bunch.
These, the hellcat demon, the ssle1 in 30 years will be crossing the auction stage with low miles, or no miles. Ford never expected owners to flog these cars.

Kennysum1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Alfa Romeo Quadraflio, 2018 TT GT Prem, 22 GT
Ford didn't miss the mark with the gt350r and gt500's. They knew most owners would buble wrap them in a warehouse/garage and if driven, not a bunch.
These, the hellcat demon, the ssle1 in 30 years will be crossing the auction stage with low miles, or no miles. Ford never expected owners to flog these cars.
I get what you are saying I really do. But still they did tout it out as the track ready Mustang. I get it a lot will be garaged and never see it. Sad to see really. Need to be enjoyed.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Does it matter what "niche" you want to label it as.
What any of the labels were when started and what they have become are not even close.
A late 50's early 60's sports are was a tiny,light, under
powered but fun to toss around death trap.
Muscle cars were base cars that the oem tossed a bigger engine in the nose and hoped for the best.
Pony cars, were econobox based, bottom barrel platform cars with a styled outer skin. They did nothing well, other than look good.

Today a sports car is heavy, overpowered, and large by the 50-60's standard. maybe the mazda mx5 is the closest to the original sports car, small, not that powerful and god help you if you get hit.
The muscle cars left are the dodge, a 2 door, can seat 4 ADULTS and big engine in nose, difference is it even as it's heavy weight, handles well and stops unlike the original muscle cars.
Todays pony cars, are not based off the econobox bottom barrel platform, moved up scale but still stylish .
A shelby gt500 r will never be a muscle car, because it doesn't go like a raped ape and then scare the crap out of you when you try to take a turn or stop it. It goes like a raped ape but it stops and turns without much if any drama. no white knuckles and butt puckering unless you push it way past your skill level.
This ^^^

Norm
Sponsored