corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Honestly I was so anti-electric but when you consider the technological options they offer and how it makes your life so much easier by syncing with your phone it's something to consider.
It completely mystifies me for car instrumentation displays and controls to become more and more like outsized iPhones. Or today's overriding "I need to be connected to everything and everybody else 24/7/365 without letup", for that matter.

Norm
Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
It completely mystifies me for car instrumentation displays and controls to become more and more like outsized iPhones. Or today's overriding "I need to be connected to everything and everybody else 24/7/365 without letup", for that matter.

Norm
Cars of yesteryear are gone. Cars of today are nothing short of an extension of you. Homes are now smart, cars are now smart as well. Your life doesn't exist in the way it used to. You exist in the cloud now. Your interaction between family and friends is virtual. The disconnection of our old reality and a connection to our new reality is already transitioning.

Honestly it is a terrible sight. No one pays attention to their physical presence anymore. They are glued to their "smart" devices at home, in the car, while walking, doing anything... It's only going to get worse. You can login to Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc. and get someone's whole life story. What happened to hanging out with friends? Going to an amusement park, going to the pool, going out to eat... Everything revolves around virtual interactions these days. Mental health is declining because of this. It's sad, but like climate change, it's too late.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Honestly it is a terrible sight. No one pays attention to their physical presence anymore. They are glued to their "smart" devices at home, in the car, while walking, doing anything... It's only going to get worse. You can login to Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc. and get someone's whole life story. What happened to hanging out with friends? Going to an amusement park, going to the pool, going out to eat... Everything revolves around virtual interactions these days. Mental health is declining because of this. It's sad, but like climate change, it's too late.
Easy part first . . . agreed, with the exception that it doesn't have to be too late at the individual level. One can still choose to "opt out".

But I think I'll try a little light editing on the other part.
Cars of yesteryear are gone. Cars of today are nothing short of an extension of you (that was always the case, nothing new here).

Homes are now smart (not mine), cars are now smart as well (and as dumb as I can make them after the fact).

Your life doesn't exist in the way it used to, though it still can if you so choose.

You exist in the cloud now (sorry, except for forums like this and for some occasional research I'm not a cloud occupant).

Your interaction between family and friends is virtual (I use a phone, or the talk-to-other-people "app" for that, works just fine just like it always did).

The disconnection of our old reality and a connection to our new reality is already transitioning. Once again, only if you choose to let it.
This whole insistence on everybody needing to :be connected" is reaching levels that I'd never have expected. For example, my laptop has been throwing messages at me to do something about connecting an android device - except that neither of us has an Android phone. Example #2, my cell phone (it's a flip) also wants me to "start communicating now" every time I empty the calls list from memory . . . gimme a break, I'll make calls when I want to make them.

Norm

Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
I don't know about you guys but I can pass any car that's faster than mine if I distract them. Ease their mind a little and zoom. Just sayin'.... :giggle:
Yeah, but Jedi Mind Tricks only work on the weak of mind...

...which is just about every Chevy and Dodge driver out there.

Carry on!

EmCel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Em
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Yeah, but Jedi Mind Tricks only work on the weak of mind...

...which is just about every Chevy and Dodge driver out there.

Carry on!
Actually that's where you're wrong. It works on all men driving all brands and not just Chevy or dodge. But you wouldn't know unless you put a wig and a skirt on. Try it sometime.

Carry on dear.... ✌🏼

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Easy part first . . . agreed, with the exception that it doesn't have to be too late at the individual level. One can still choose to "opt out".

But I think I'll try a little light editing on the other part.

This whole insistence on everybody needing to :be connected" is reaching levels that I'd never have expected. For example, my laptop has been throwing messages at me to do something about connecting an android device - except that neither of us has an Android phone. Example #2, my cell phone (it's a flip) also wants me to "start communicating now" every time I empty the calls list from memory . . . gimme a break, I'll make calls when I want to make them.

Norm
I think some of these points depend on what you do for a living.

If you are a traveling salesman or have to meet clients a lot or have a company car, you will probably be driving around in a new or newer car. Even the base models these days have all that safety and security crap on them. I'd rather a computer not try to steer me back in my lane.

If you are in the Information Technology sector, you will either have a company phone or be dependent on your phone to take calls and research things or maybe even provide a mobile hotspot. In this case, you probably have a new or newer smartphone.

In some ways technology is a step forward. In other ways technology is a step back. The invention of Google Maps is a life saver for most. On the other hand it isn't a coincidence you get ads on websites in which you have virtually or verbally talked about. I could be talking to someone outside about how comfortable my Levi's (Jeans) are and next thing you know both of us get ads for Levi jeans on websites you visit. You are tracked everywhere you go. This isn't something you can escape from.

Norm, I gather you are an older gentleman. I bet you didn't grow up with all this technology. In that case, I feel like it's easier to turn your back on technology or "unplug" from it. I'm in my 30s now and watched technology advance as I grew older. I have a job in the IT sector now. For a person like me, there is no way to "unplug" or get off the grid. I'm researching on my laptop or phone. Heck, maybe even on-call. It's mentally tiring...

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Actually that's where you're wrong. It works on all men driving all brands and not just Chevy or dodge. But you wouldn't know unless you put a wig and a skirt on. Try it sometime.

Carry on dear.... ✌🏼
Puh-leeze! Sis, I am from Seattle...certain parts of town I have way more ability to distract.

Just sayin...:cool:

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Ahhhhhhh this old chestnut again.:fingerscrossed:

Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Puh-leeze! Sis, I am from Seattle...certain parts of town I have way more ability to distract.

Just sayin...:cool:
Olympia....Go there and get reminded you can't un-see things.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I think some of these points depend on what you do for a living. Norm, I gather you are an older gentleman. I bet you didn't grow up with all this technology.
Probably a lot of truth in that. I am, or at least was, an engineer working structural or mechanical engineering problems out, eventually on a desktop computer. I'm now 73 and between company layoffs and eventual official retirement, 9 years out of my last day job. Phone distractions at work were just that - unwanted distractions from the necessary levels of concentration.

In that case, I feel like it's easier to turn your back on technology or "unplug" from it. In some ways technology is a step forward. In other ways technology is a step back.
Yes, it is. The level of technology that I grew up with started with paper & pencils, slide rules and mechanical desktop calculators - I'm talking as a 1970 BSCE graduate here. Then came 4-function calculators, programmable pocket calculators, and eventually PCs. So I've seen technology move forward in ways that did benefit me personally. On the other hand, I don't need or want my refrigerator to be telling me or anybody else what it thinks I need, or have my house thermostat think it knows better than I do what I need at any given moment. I still see driving my cars as a way to get away from the rest of the world for a while - when I'm driving I forget all about the fact that there's a cell phone in my left front pants pocket. Methinks "me time" is vastly underrated these days.

Norm

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Methinks "me time" is vastly underrated these days.

Norm
Can't agree more. There are times I'll "wake up" after losing an hour or more staring at a blank wall. Going for a bicycle ride is more for mental health than fitness. Heck even beating up the punching bag is better for me mentally than physically. "Me time" that's not playing a video game is very important. Therapist recommended, patient confirmed.

Reactions: Ebm