Sponsored

Mustang S550 Headlights EU (Washers, Xenon, adjustment etc)

Gnade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang 2016
Hello

So I recently I became owner of Mustang S550 (2016). Went to DMV (or whatever it is called in english) to check what needs to changed to make it legal in Europe. They listed 4 problems, all related to lights. Right now the most concerning and confusing is the headlights.
Problem / Issue: In my country the law says something along the lines....Xenon headlights with 2000lm or higher must have washer and automatic light adjuster/leveler.

I didn't find any info about mustang headlight coming with washer. Did I miss something or there really aint option for that. Well even if there was washer option, as I understand there is no automatic headlight correction/adjustment/leveler either. So basically the xenons are out of questions.

So what would be solution to my problem?

Thank you!
Sponsored

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EcoBoost MT Race Red EURO - NO MORE
There are no washer option from factory, but all mustangs imported to germany have the same requirements, so you should be able to find some info about that.
Regarding headlight levelling, euro mustangs come with manual headlights adjustment. There is an adjust knob at the center of the headlights switch. This seems to be more difficult to retrofit..

OP
OP

Gnade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang 2016
Sorry I might have worder it wrong about leveler. Yes, have seen EU mustangs come with headlights leveler knob, but there is a chance that DMV/MOT guy actually meant self leveling option. Need confirm that.

In germany they might have different rules. I bought the car from another EU country where the car was legal. But when I got it to my country and went to DMV/MOT they found problems with lights.

OP
OP

Gnade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang 2016
We came up with solution to retrofit both washers and levelers.

That is only option I can go with. I can't fit neither led or halogen lights because 2015-2017 Mustangs don't have those in factory option. Law here is so strict that if car doesn't meet factory settings you can't make car legal. In Finland, Germany, Poland and most likely in most EU countries my car would already be legal, but not case in here.

OP
OP

Gnade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang 2016
So we fitted light washer. Went to DMV/MOT and they told me basically...If factory installs levelers (self leveling) for EU mustangs then I have to take my car to Ford Agency and let them install levelers. If Ford Factory doesn't install levelers for EU cars, then I have to have certificate that tells my my car does not require levelers.

Sponsored

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
EU-Mustangs have 25W HID lights, while the US have 35W HID lights. Therefor no washer or automatic height adjustments for the headlights are necessary with EU Mustangs.
People who import their Mustangs from US to EU usually install washers and let the headlights be installed 2% more downwards to prevent blinding other people.

OP
OP

Gnade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang 2016
That is correct. We figured that out at one point. Bought D8S ballasts, wirings and bulbs. But the problem then was that lights have D3S markings on lens and you are not allowed to to fit D8S system into D3S lights. So if we wanted to use EU version headlights we would had to replace whole light. Problem is that it is hard to find headlights that actually have correct markings. There are many headlights that do look like EU version, but when you look at lens you see no markings and when you contact seller they say it has no markings.

So in the end we just bought full led headlights.

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
That is correct. We figured that out at one point. Bought D8S ballasts, wirings and bulbs. But the problem then was that lights have D3S markings on lens and you are not allowed to to fit D8S system into D3S lights. So if we wanted to use EU version headlights we would had to replace whole light. Problem is that it is hard to find headlights that actually have correct markings. There are many headlights that do look like EU version, but when you look at lens you see no markings and when you contact seller they say it has no markings.

So in the end we just bought full led headlights.
how would anyone know the bulb was different if the lens was the same? I've seen the ballast and D1s bulb kits from Australia and was about to head down that route but not so sure now. Where did you get the LED headlights from, obv LHD v RHD is another issue

OP
OP

Gnade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang 2016
how would anyone know the bulb was different if the lens was the same? I've seen the ballast and D1s bulb kits from Australia and was about to head down that route but not so sure now. Where did you get the LED headlights from, obv LHD v RHD is another issue
My problem was that I had US headlights. It has D3S marking on lens and by law I am not allowed to put D8S inside, because then the inside system will not match what is written on lens and I can't use D3S because they are too strong. But yes, if you have already EU headlights that has D8S markings then you are prolly fine with whatever you have working inside, but that is based on my experience. Maybe they could try checking ballast label, but as I never tried to look them myself, I don't know if you can actually see ballast labels without taking headlight off.

I bought these
https://m3c.pl/en/ford-mustang-2015...-with-approval-set-mustang-2015-2017-usa.html

but these were also considered at one point
https://www.american-horsepower.de/shop/en/morimoto-xb-led-headlights-15-17-all-18-21-gt350-2069

Another idea we had was to just order headlights without any markings or just replace lenses with new ones that have no markings. But as we had already failed two inspections we were afraid that they are going to be like "Well, but your headlights have no markings so we can't let you pass" and then ban car. At first inspection they told that if we fail too many inspections they will mark this car as something that can never be registered in this country.

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
My problem was that I had US headlights. It has D3S marking on lens and by law I am not allowed to put D8S inside, because then the inside system will not match what is written on lens and I can't use D3S because they are too strong. But yes, if you have already EU headlights that has D8S markings then you are prolly fine with whatever you have working inside, but that is based on my experience. Maybe they could try checking ballast label, but as I never tried to look them myself, I don't know if you can actually see ballast labels without taking headlight off.

I bought these
https://m3c.pl/en/ford-mustang-2015...-with-approval-set-mustang-2015-2017-usa.html

but these were also considered at one point
https://www.american-horsepower.de/shop/en/morimoto-xb-led-headlights-15-17-all-18-21-gt350-2069

Another idea we had was to just order headlights without any markings or just replace lenses with new ones that have no markings. But as we had already failed two inspections we were afraid that they are going to be like "Well, but your headlights have no markings so we can't let you pass" and then ban car. At first inspection they told that if we fail too many inspections they will mark this car as something that can never be registered in this country.
thank for your detailed reply.

Damn thats harsh with the possibility of the car being banned :( I like the lights you bought, look good but with me being in the UK and RHD i can't get either of those as they'll point to the wrong side!

I think for my situation a change of bulbs / ballast will be the easiest option and since it's a yearly roadworthy inspection i doubt they'll care about the lights as long as they work - apparently we dont even check for alignment of headlights anymore cause modern units are so bright it doesn't matter, bonkers!
Sponsored