Sponsored

Mustang Q2 2020 sales numbers (incl. Camaro & Challenger)

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Sales numbers are out. Corona is hitting Mustang, Camaro and Challenger sales obviously. But it does not look good for the Camaro at all, while the Mustang holds up really good in YTD.

Q2 2020:
Camaro: 6,675 down from 12,433 (-46.3%)
Challenger: 9,880 down from 15,237 (-35%)
Mustang: 15,717 down from 21,625 (-27.3%)

YTD:
Camaro: 13,860 down from 24,516 (-43.5%)
Challenger: 22,018 down from 28,668 (-23%)
Mustang: 33,786 down from 38,542 (-12.3%)
Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Sales numbers are out. Corona is hitting Mustang, Camaro and Challenger sales obviously. But it does not look good for the Camaro at all, while the Mustang holds up really good in YTD.

Q2 2020:
Camaro: 6,675 down from 12,433 (-46.3%)
Challenger: 9,880 down from 15,237 (-35%)
Mustang: 15,717 down from 21,625 (-27.3%)

YTD:
Camaro: 13,860 down from 24,516 (-43.5%)
Challenger: 22,018 down from 28,668 (-23%)
Mustang: 33,786 down from 38,542 (-12.3%)

These will be US sales only, too. Add in rest of the world for Mustang and it wouldn't look so bad :like:

OP
OP
Ace

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
This should include all Mustangs sold in US.

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Not bad the Mustang does well... surprised especially with all the advertising and discounts Dodge does.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Very interesting. Thanks for posting. I really want to speculate as to why Mustang sales weren't hit as hard as Camaro and Challenger, but I have no idea.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I would guess because it’s a better car.

Camaro sales have been on a downhill skid for along time and the challenger will soon be a teenager.

Ford has done a good job with the Mustang.
I think it's because Mustang buyers are smarter, so they had money saved up and they were able to take advantage of the Covid price breaks. :wink:

5.0AVP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rapid Red 401A PP1 GT
The 0% for 84 finished off the 19s and the 0% for 72 on the 20s did a pretty good number on the inventory in my area.

Rinzler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Sucks for the Camaro. Turns out all out track performance isn't the secret sauce for selling volume. The Challenger is a comfortable gt car with lots of power. The Mustang is a sporty gt car with lots of track prowess. Makes sense those are selling.

As always, Camaro6 is imploding thinking that advertisement is why the Camaro isn't selling. Like, I've seen maybe 1 or 2 ads for the Mustang in 5 years. The reason the Camaro doesn't sell is cause it's overpriced for is competition AND it's hard to live with. Those two things don't sell lots of cars. The Viper died the same way....well, the Viper was just hard to live with, lol.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Indeed. I've not driven a Camaro, but the motoring press would lead me to believe the Camaro is the better performer and certainly the better driver's car, if only by a small(ish) degree.

The Mustang, though, is a better car to live with day by day, especially in terms of trunk capacity (and entry), interior space and visibility. These are the sort of things that are much more important to the "average Joe" who is just looking for a sporty, good looking car. The sort of person who isn't brand loyal. There are many more of those "average Joes" out there than hardcore enthusiasts and that, to me, is why the Mustang sells so well, and has always done so :like:

Sponsored

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Indeed. I've not driven a Camaro, but the motoring press would lead me to believe the Camaro is the better performer and certainly the better driver's car, if only by a small(ish) degree.

The Mustang, though, is a better car to live with day by day, especially in terms of trunk capacity (and entry), interior space and visibility. These are the sort of things that are much more important to the "average Joe" who is just looking for a sporty, good looking car. The sort of person who isn't brand loyal. There are many more of those "average Joes" out there than hardcore enthusiasts and that, to me, is why the Mustang sells so well, and has always done so :like:
yeah play it might have something to do with the history and heritage of the mustang. The car has never been out of production like the challenger has.... not sure I love the dodge vehicles however the mustang the 19 I have made me want to switch and try it.

I would guess because it’s a better car.

Camaro sales have been on a downhill skid for along time and the challenger will soon be a teenager.

Ford has done a good job with the Mustang.
challenger is getting old however they keep finding ways to reinvent it... in a way it’s good I guess for the legacy buyers lol...
Ford did and ok job with the mustang they need to have better fit/finish and quality control.

OP
OP
Ace

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
As always, Camaro6 is imploding thinking that advertisement is why the Camaro isn't selling. Like, I've seen maybe 1 or 2 ads for the Mustang in 5 years. The reason the Camaro doesn't sell is cause it's overpriced for is competition AND it's hard to live with. Those two things don't sell lots of cars. The Viper died the same way....well, the Viper was just hard to live with, lol.
Don't think about advertisment as pure TV spots. Think about everything you read and hear about a car. Just remember the press releases about the Mustang this year alone
- GT350+R Heritage Edition
- Announcment of Mustang being best selling sportscar again
- Announcing the camod Mach 1
- Revealing the Mach 1
- Revealing how they reimagined the Mach 1 logo
That's already 5 times that Ford send out big press releases to journalists, magazines, etc. If you read any online site about cars or read any automobile magazine, you will most likely stumple upon them. And they usally give out tons of cool press pictures, b-roll footage for youtube channels, etc. And that's not including any speculation/sighting of 2nd refresh and Mustang Mach-E articles.

Now compare that what Chevy released for the Camaro. The last press release was May 2019 when they announced that fixed the frontend for MY2020 - And they released one, one single image of the new SS and it's even just a photoshop work on a MY2019 picture. You know that the Camaro had a special edition called shock & steel? No? Nearly nobody heard of it, because it was never announced by Chevy nor does any pictures or footage exist. It just was thrown silently to the build & price tool.

Marketing does not work like "I just saw this ad, now I go out and buy this car" - It's a slow and steady process. You hear the name, read a thing here and there, and when you are in the market for a new car, you think about that subconsciously. As a comparison look at the C8, everybody is talking about this car and every few months there is a new thing that make the C8 appear in all media again.

Here in Europe, they actually started selling the Camaro again after a 2 year pause. But nobody knows that, because there is still no press release from Chevy. Only way to find out is to directly seek contact with one of the very few Chevy dealers in the country, so they can tell you that the Camaro is available again :headbang:

edco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007GT & 2017V6_ great Steeda & AM mods
From the beginning, April 1964 NY Worlds Fair and 007 movie Goldfinger, Mustang is the innovator,
Camaro is the imitator. Camaro historically lays on more power, more wheel size, more wheel base,
more body and calls it better. To some it may be for those reasons. The market has always favored
the Mustang. Mustang's design and development team is always just a few with a definite focus.
At GM the Camaro project is a marching band. They start out from "lets make a Mustang only
better." They end up with something only a Chevrolet dealer could love. The resurgence of American
muscle in the last 15 years is attributable to one man, Hao Tai Tang. He designed the S197 exterior.
Ford execs took one look and placed him in charge of the whole model. The results are history.
By 2005 I was long done with Mustangs. I took one look and knew the chances I would not buy one
were microscopic. So far I bought two and am planning the third. The Mach 1 has my eye.
It is not just about horsepower, the whole package thing is important. Mustang has a knack for
putting it all together. The sales numbers support that, even in a pandemic slow down.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Sucks for the Camaro. Turns out all out track performance isn't the secret sauce for selling volume. The Challenger is a comfortable gt car with lots of power. The Mustang is a sporty gt car with lots of track prowess. Makes sense those are selling.
yeah play it might have something to do with the history and heritage of the mustang.
I'd say it's a mix of both of these things.

What's funny is we often talk about the top one, the flexibility / usability of the Mustang - even my convertible has a big, easily accessible trunk - they can road trip, road course, and look good doing either, and it's always just a few parts away from correcting most design issues.

What we _rarely_ talk about the second quote, but I think that's a non-trivial factor. Back in '16 when I was shopping a new car, I hit up a lot of people who weren't hardcore car fanatics, friends and family, and there was a unanimous preference of the Mustang over the Camaro. Sure, they wouldn't know Alpha Platform, or Tremec vs. Getrag, but Camaro vs. Mustang? It often went like this, "A Camaro, huh, OK, what else are considering, a Mustang? Cool, that's definitely what I'd get ..."

The Mustang has mindshare, maybe it's the years of film with the car being featured, maybe it's the cool factor of people like Jim Morrison owning one. Heck, my wife, before she met me, wasn't into cars at all - except, she always wanted a "60s Mustang convertible".

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
To me, naming the 'Mustang Mach-E' was a slap in the face to the Mustang history. From sports/sporty coupe, to an electric SUV? What?!? But that is telling me something that maybe others are not seeing: Ford plans to kill the Mustang as we know it, but don't want to kill the name, so they started reinventing it now with that electric SUV, to slowly make the drastic change, and that people accept it. Ford already killed most cars, so it wouldn't be shocking to kill this one too. But the good news is there is at least a generation left since the S650 is happening. Interesting times :).
Sponsored