Sponsored

"Mustang Mach E" Confirmed, Reservations Begin Immediately After Nov 17 Live-Streamed Reveal

How will Ford naming it's new electric SUV "Mustang Mach E" impact your future purchase decisions.

• Much more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 49 12.5%
  • Slightly more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • No change

Votes: 219 55.9%
  • Slightly less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 55 14.0%
  • Much less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 63 16.1%

• Total voters

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
It sucks but it's also fine. That means my next car will be a different make.
You can go to a different make if you want but that make is also doing EV's and the don't make anything like the Mustang.
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
You can go to a different make if you want but that make is also doing EV's and the don't make anything like the Mustang.
It's not just about what you'd look for as a replacement for your current Mustang.

If you're specifically looking for a family sedan, Ford has already written you off as a customer. The last Fusion rolled off the production line back in July, and it won't be long before it disappears from the "Cars" tab over on Ford.com. The fact that Ford still does make the Mustang, and in ICE form, is totally irrelevant unless you let brand loyalty to Ford (because it makes the Mustang) override your own personal preferences in what you really did want to buy.

Other mfrs who still do make sedans beckon . . .

Norm

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Capri 5.0 Turbo, 17 Fusion Sport, 21 GT500 CFTP
Different perspective maybe?

Your dad makes something from the ground up, invented it himself. You take over his company when it's time and for a few years keep improving the product and keep making lots of money. You now get your hands on some new tech that will revolutionize your product and maybe make you even more money but like everything, it's not certain. So you make this new product while keeping most of the former line. It's entirely up to you to name and market this new product. No matter the decision you go with, people will love it, hate it, and not even care. How do you deal with those that hate it? Do you even care about them? If the new product line will likely make you money, ef the haters right?

Is there writing on the wall that the mustang as we know it might be going away? Sure, for years now. But it hasn't happened yet and it may not go away for another 50 years. Like has been said many times previously, it's not YOUR company, Ford can do whatever they want with any of it's products including name plates. Personally, I completely dislike what they're doing but there's also zero I can do about it. And because I purchased my Mustang last year, there isn't anything I need to do about it either.
Nope. if there is enough pushback, Ford will listen. Of course sales ARE the main thing Ford would listen too, but if what you are suggesting happens, then of course they would never even hear about the people who can't stand the destruction of the Mustang name (maybe they don't want to hear it, at their own peril).

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
There will be a point where the engine option wont be a V8 and I'm fine with it. If Ford stops making a 2+2 sporty car, then I'll go someplace that does. Really, I'd like a true 2 seater but I'm usually too tall and fat to fit in them. Otherwise instead of the mustang I'd be in an Alfa 4c right now.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Nope. if there is enough pushback, Ford will listen. Of course sales ARE the main thing Ford would listen too, but if what you are suggesting happens, then of course they would never even hear about the people who can't stand the destruction of the Mustang name (maybe they don't want to hear it, at their own peril).
In my 40 years of life, I have yet to see any major company listen to it's customers that only buy a specialty product that is only 1% of their profits. I'm willing to guess the mustang program was held on to because of some now older guy at Ford who is, if not already, about to retire. Maybe that's why the name is slapped onto some CUV thing. Maybe the 2+2 is going away. Maybe it'll manage to stick around to see 100 years. I don't think we as customers have a very strong voice in what happens though. Of course buying the cars will help but if the majority of profit is from everything else, it's also understandable to kill off the non producer. It will indeed suck for us but I'm sure there will be other cars for us to buy.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
In my 40 years of life, I have yet to see any major company listen to it's customers that only buy a specialty product that is only 1% of their profits. I'm willing to guess the mustang program was held on to because of some now older guy at Ford who is, if not already, about to retire. Maybe that's why the name is slapped onto some CUV thing. Maybe the 2+2 is going away. Maybe it'll manage to stick around to see 100 years. I don't think we as customers have a very strong voice in what happens though. Of course buying the cars will help but if the majority of profit is from everything else, it's also understandable to kill off the non producer. It will indeed suck for us but I'm sure there will be other cars for us to buy.
When Ford contemplated making the Mustang FWD comes to mind as one example of a company listening. More recently, Porsche put a conventional MT back into the GT3 due to customer uproar and is at least rethinking its plan of phasing out the MT.

Norm

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
When Ford contemplated making the Mustang FWD comes to mind as one example of a company listening. More recently, Porsche put a conventional MT back into the GT3 due to customer uproar and is at least rethinking its plan of phasing out the MT.

Norm
Why Ford doesn't listen to Mustang owners

1603724234178.png

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P

That's a touch different, as those were both moves to sustain sales on a very popular car/platform in their respective lineups - cash cows, brand identifying marques, and with Porsche, their astronomic markup has some wiggle room with being accommodating to their buyers.

Yep. You're right on. Based on sales, there's very little indication of interest in Ford sedans. It's a pretty straight forward set of metrics that informed their decision.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Yep. You're right on. Based on sales, there's very little indication of interest in Ford sedans. It's a pretty straight forward set of metrics that informed their decision.
Last couple of years for which totals are in, Ford was still selling 250,000 - 350,000 sedans (not including the Mustang) out of around 2.4 million total sales. That's a significant percentage to be turning your back on, given that those buyers actively chose to not buy a truck, SUV, or CUV.

https://fordauthority.com/2020/01/f...s-numbers-figures-results-2019-calendar-year/

Norm

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Last couple of years for which totals are in, Ford was still selling 250,000 - 350,000 sedans (not including the Mustang) out of around 2.4 million total sales. That's a significant percentage to be turning your back on, given that those buyers actively chose to not buy a truck, SUV, or CUV.
Their analysis likely indicated they were buyers who could be diverted to a different product, and/or there was a downward sales trend, with a projection of significant loss over X years, so they decided to terminate their lower volume now (and repurpose lines, focus on far more profitable products, including R&D for future vehicles).

My point being: these large, monolithic companies don't do things that lose them a buck, it's clear there was a supporting business case, even if it is a bummer for people who wanted the product that wasn't support by the aforementioned.

Sponsored

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
D
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
Part of me wonders if we ever get a traditional Mustang coupe that's fully electrified, if we could get a smorgasbord of "Active Exhaust" and "Active Suspension/Throttle/Brake Drive Mode" options to choose from.

Yes, you wouldn't hear anything from the outside. But the Gran Turismo fan in me loves the idea of making my car sound from a Terminator Mustang (too bad that car never was officially in a GT game) to a '20 Bullitt Mustang with a change in configuration setting. Or setting a switch between IRS and a simulated SRA. Basically, something that gives the driver the ability to create a driving experience that connects specifically through them while still recognizing that it's unique to the history of the Mustang.

(Now if you'll excuse me, I'll go back and hide in the corner while the purists have a field day with this post. :bandit:)

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Nothing wrong with liking fake sound affects.....you hear them in movies and TV shows all the time. Not my thing though. If I ever buy an EV, I will just let sound as is. i will always have something else that I can drive to hear real sounds :cool:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Their analysis likely indicated they were buyers who could be diverted to a different product
Obviously that's what Ford was hoping for. Equally obviously, any such analysis wasn't paying enough attention to what was happening in the dealerships.

I'm under the impression that take rates have to get down closer to 5% before the axe falls. Don't see it being any different for a consolidated sedan line than for something like the manual transmission.

My point being: these large, monolithic companies don't do things that lose them a buck, it's clear there was a supporting business case, even if it is a bummer for people who wanted the product that wasn't support by the aforementioned.
Understood. But this time I think they cut too much, too hastily, and with too little thought

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Part of me wonders if we ever get a traditional Mustang coupe that's fully electrified, if we could get a smorgasbord of "Active Exhaust" and "Active Suspension/Throttle/Brake Drive Mode" options to choose from.
1603740141661.png

might as well just stay home and play Gran Turismo . . .

Norm

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
yeah they can try to divert all they want, but who does that really work on?

i inquired about a spoiler delete 16 GT through email once, i'll never forget it...that particular car was sold, but they emailed me back(started that off "dear Nancy") and proceeded to try to sell me a leftover supercab 2wd f-150 lolol...alllmost got me
Sponsored