Sponsored

"Mustang Mach E" Confirmed, Reservations Begin Immediately After Nov 17 Live-Streamed Reveal

How will Ford naming it's new electric SUV "Mustang Mach E" impact your future purchase decisions.

• Much more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 49 12.5%
  • Slightly more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • No change

Votes: 219 55.9%
  • Slightly less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 55 14.0%
  • Much less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 63 16.1%

• Total voters

BuckeyeBOSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Mustang 545cid, 2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Z/28, 2013 Charger 392

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I smell wiggle room. Farley needs to be slapped good and hard and a book of horse breeds/terms shoved in his face and told to try again.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
hunh..?
Do you think that style was because Elon Musk was going for aero..? Or futuristic looks...?

Specially when long flat panels are not aero anyways... Too much surface turbulence, etc. This truck is for kalifornication.
I am not saying that was the goal but having a more efficient shape is beneficial to range. For reference, seems like modern trucks have a cd of about .36 (google is our friend) no clue what the cybertruck will be yet. And yes, you will have flow separation around the sharp corners but the question is whether or not that creates more drag than the separation that occurs in just aft of the cab on a traditional truck (where a wedge shape would eliminate such issue).

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red

Sponsored

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
Ford, you can’t make me believe that any SUV is a Mustang.

How can you be this dumb???????

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
It’s been revealed that Jim Farley is the one who pushed Bill Ford into naming the ME a Mustang...

Bill Ford never wanted it to be called a Mustang at all AND the original concept design was not even “Mustang inspired”....

Read:
https://carbuzz.com/news/worlds-most-passionate-ford-mustang-fan-approved-mustang-mach-e-name
Fire them all. They created a lame Tesla Model Y wannabe that doesn't stack up to the competition and tried to save it with the Mustang name. Then Musk made them look like fools with the Cybertruck intro.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I am not saying that was the goal but having a more efficient shape is beneficial to range. For reference, seems like modern trucks have a cd of about .36 (google is our friend) no clue what the cybertruck will be yet. And yes, you will have flow separation around the sharp corners but the question is whether or not that creates more drag than the separation that occurs in just aft of the cab on a traditional truck (where a wedge shape would eliminate such issue).
Nobody is talking about a TRADITIONAL TRUCK.....
This is not the best Elon could've done, he selling a cheap-frill design to cyber kiddies...

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
Nobody is talking about a TRADITIONAL TRUCK.....
This is not the best Elon could've done, he selling a cheap-frill design to cyber kiddies...
Apparently it's working. 200k pre orders and counting....

As someone else posted earlier, I don't get the hatred towards Elon Musk. Sure he's an ass, but it's kinda hard to argue that his companies are challenging the status quo in good ways.... (Space, EVs, etc...)

And for reference, I was talking about traditional trucks in how the Cybertruck could potentially be more aerodynamic than a traditional truck due to the wedge shape.....

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
I posted a similar message over on the Mach-e forum.

There have been a few new vids released discussing the development of this vehicle.

I think some people are giving this vehicle too much credit in terms of it’s purpose. And in some cases the logic is being reversed.

Ford stated this started as a compliance vehicle. A CUV with the intent to increase electric sales. But the new CEO saw it and knew it would fail. (And it probably would have after seeing the initial design.)

so they were told to scrap it and give it mustang-inspired styling.

then they said to themselves, why not give it the mustang name?

this wasn’t built from the get-go to expand the mustang brand. Nor was the intent to replace the coupe. It was a project on the verge of failure and needed the help of the mustang name to give it a shot to succeed.

this vehicle isn’t going to help the mustang. The mustang is helping this vehicle.

So while there are people who are drinking the cool aid and telling mustang fans to “get over it because this is the future of mustang”, I think they don’t realize that the Mach-e is almost entirely banking on the mustang name to succeed and most of this talk about “mustang brand” is corporate-spin that was an after thought.

ford needs this to succeed for the future of ford - not the future of mustang. They are banking on the mustang name which we all helped to support and give it the weight that it currently holds.

ps I like it for what it is - a stylish electric cuv. I think ford would’ve been fine without using the mustang name, tho
You acknowledge that Ford needs this for the future of Ford, but not the future of Mustang, so when Ford go under do you think the Mustang is still going to be made? That is so funny.

This needs the Mustang branding to succeed. Ford didn't just slap a Mustang logo on it - they gave it their best shot and if I were being honest about their execution of it there is very little to complain about, if viewed impartially.

From my perspective it is the right decision. Perhaps for Mustang to remain a coupe is of lesser importance to me than the importance of giving the Ford brand the best shot they can in succeeding in what I consider a pivotal segment. Mache E is not only made in a body style that is most popular and profitable, but it is also Ford's first dedicated EV. The Mustang name is their asset; it is has a rich and popular heritage and they need that right now to push Mach E as best they could. Again, in my view, had they not actually put so much into making it appear, drive, and feel like a Mustang, then, yeah, it's a wasted effort.

Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
I was most excited about the Tesla ATV lol

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
This needs the Mustang branding to succeed. Ford didn't just slap a Mustang logo on it - they gave it their best shot and if I were being honest about their execution of it there is very little to complain about, if viewed impartially.
I think the Mach E would have done just as well without the "Mustang" label. If Ford's goal is to make the Mach E the "Mustang III" so to speak, and phase out and totally discontinue the Mustang heritage as we know it, then that's something to complain about.

The Mustang II had 99.99999% more Mustang heritage than the Mach E.

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
I think the Mach E would have done just as well without the "Mustang" label. If Ford's goal is to make the Mach E the "Mustang III" so to speak, and phase out and totally discontinue the Mustang heritage as we know it, then that's something to complain about.

The Mustang II had 99.99999% more Mustang heritage than the Mach E.
"Heritage" is one thing, branding is another. This is an addition to the Mustang line up as we're all aware. What some here are saying is they personally don't feel that it deserves to be called a Mustang, and that is totally fine to believe/think that (In fact my first observation was how this will cause ripples, rifts, conflicts and so on).

In one way I agree with that line of thought; if we don't look at the larger picture and recognise that the health and survival of the Ford brand is more important than Mustang's heritage, then yes, it shouldn't be called Mustang.

Why do you think Nissan hasn't updated the GTR to R37? It's been around now for how long and all they're offering are what seem to be minor facelifts. This is because they're cutting back on spending. The GTR doesn't have a donor vehicle that generates some sort of backing for the GTR, like the Shelbys have with the volume-selling base Mustangs.

The Mustang itself doesn't appear to be endangered but have a look at the sales trend of this icon and you will realise that something needs to be done. What Ford are doing now with MachE, seeing that its now part of that stable, the profits from it will pay for both itself and it's stablemate's future development.

People from this huge Mustang community that oppose this direction should present an alternative. Saying "but it doesn't need Mustang branding won't make a difference" is like saying you think you have no confidence in the influence of the Mustang brand. Or you're basically saying that this powerful icon should be protected from being used as a mechanism to help the Ford brand.

Get behind Ford if you want Mustang to last.

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
I don’t think anyone has to get behind Ford for them to last. If Ford goes belly up like GM once did they’ll be back. There apart of a small group of companies that are too big to fail. I’d be more concerned about ford phasing out the coupe mustang completely. The President of Honda doesn’t believe that electric will ever (least in our time) becoming dominant. And he’s got a point. Too many powerful players within the oil industry would lose billions so that’s not happening. I also am intrigued by Fords and somewhat Chevy ditching your standard sedan line in favor of SUV CUV. While Toyota Nissan Honda Dodge and others are playing that close to the vest.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
... if we don't look at the larger picture and recognise that the health and survival of the Ford brand is more important than Mustang's heritage, then yes, it shouldn't be called Mustang.
If a Ford vehicle is successful, regardless of what it's called, it will ensure survival of the Ford brand. If this new Ford EV is designed well, performs well and is a good value for the money, then it's going to sell and be popular. It doesn't need to be "branded" as a "Mustang", because it's not a Mustang - Ford is trying to change what a Mustang has been defined as for 55 years. That would be like GM coming out with a 4 door SUV and calling it a "Corvette E-Quinox".

Why do you think Nissan hasn't updated the GTR to R37? It's been around now for how long and all they're offering are what seem to be minor facelifts.
Maybe Nissan should come out with a "GTR Rogue E" and use the same exact GTR badges, etc on it.

The Mustang itself doesn't appear to be endangered but have a look at the sales trend of this icon and you will realise that something needs to be done.
Maybe Ford should instead make a 7th Gen Mustang with a hybrid and/or full EV model in the Mustang line-up, while retaining an IC engine model. Then they could have an electrified Mustang and a separate unrelated full EV SUV line under the name "Mach E". Not try to put the Mach E into the Mustsng line. Doubt a full electric "Corvette E-Quinix" would go over well in the Corvette community. :cwl:
Sponsored

Last edited: