Sponsored

"Mustang Mach E" Confirmed, Reservations Begin Immediately After Nov 17 Live-Streamed Reveal

How will Ford naming it's new electric SUV "Mustang Mach E" impact your future purchase decisions.

• Much more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 49 12.5%
  • Slightly more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • No change

Votes: 219 55.9%
  • Slightly less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 55 14.0%
  • Much less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 63 16.1%

• Total voters

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
and Grandma's CUV will dust GTs and GT350s at any stoplight.
Actually, Grandma's SUV (as pictured) will be no faster than an Ecoboost Mustang at twice the price. In fact, when you go to pre-order the Mach E GT it actually says "Targeting 0-60 in under 4 seconds*". Given how nervous Ford seems to be about the vehicles real world performance maybe you should wait and see before you start writing checks that grandma's SUV can't cash.

cocopanda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2019 Premium GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Correct. If you step back and look at this, they slapped the Mustang name and fascias on a tepid Model Y wannabe. They burned their top performance brand on something slower than a Model 3. It checks the "Tesla already did that." boxes right down the line and excels nowhere. They even aped a Tesla roll-out.

The one thing they have going for them is that it's finally something for the main stream automotive buyer that is BEV-curious but has chaffed at Musk's hype machine. A brand where they can hope to buy a BEV and trust that there will be someone to service it when it breaks.

Now I've been as critical of Musk as anyone but today he showed Ford how pathetic their "me too" dog of a pony show was with his Tesla Truck unveiling. Did he roll out something that looks like an electric F150 and call it a "Model E150" or something to trade off his passenger car success? No. It looks like something from outerspace and he calls it a Cybertruck. And then he shows it dragging around Ford's leader in towing capacity like a truculent toddler that doesn't want to leave the toy aisle. And, oh by the way, it's fastest model is faster than new so-called "Mustang Mach E GT".

Sad.
That last part. Bro. It's an electric motor. No shit it will be faster. lol

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
and Grandma's CUV will dust GTs and GT350s at any stoplight.
Actually Grandma's SUV (as pictured) is no faster than an Ecoboost Mustang at twice the price.

The order page right now says the Mach E GT is "targeting 0-60 in under 4 seconds". So there's nothing that you can pre-order right now that is assured of dusting an A10 Mustang GT.

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP

Sponsored

cocopanda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2019 Premium GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Um. What? They're both electric.
This is what? The 5th version of the Tesla? This is basically the Roadster from 2009. It's a stepping stone. Not a really developed electrical motor.

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
This is what? The 5th version of the Tesla? This is basically the Roadster from 2009. It's a stepping stone. Not a really developed electrical motor.
So this hot new "Mustang" is five generations behind the competition because they've evidently learned nothing in all that time? This is what they're going to stake the Mustang nameplate on?

The new Mustang Mach E! Yeah, it sucks compared to the competition but... MUSTANG!

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Um... No.... Tesla had to start from square one with the 2008 Roadster. Power dense and lightweight electric drivetrains and batteries did not exist when Tesla started. Ford has the benefit of 10+ years of electric drivetrain and battery development from multiple companies and the basic layout of what an EV should be to pull from for this Mach E. They have a MASSIVE advantage to Tesla circa 2008 and still could not make something that matched Tesla's current offerings as is the case with every traditional automaker so far. Tesla has everyone beat in efficiency... A 55kw battery Tesla can go as far with quicker acceleration then the 75kw select Mach E. Same is true with the Porsche Taycan vs the Model S.

Reactions: nrc

cocopanda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2019 Premium GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
So this hot new "Mustang" is five generations behind the competition because they've evidently learned nothing in all that time? This is what they're going to stake the Mustang nameplate on?

The new Mustang Mach E! Yeah, it sucks compared to the competition but... MUSTANG!
Nah. Fabrication and retooling. Meaning introducing so much logistic tech into this for the entirely changed dynamic of the technology. Is what this is going to show the Board of Ford. It's a step in the right direction. And ya can't get there if ya don't take that first step. I'm probably going to buy one for my work commute. I really hope it gets self driving. We have hundreds of charging ports at work.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Tesla has been playing by a very loose definition of what constitutes 'facts' or 'truth' at product launches especially, let alone minimum acceptable engineering practice, and amazingly gotten away with it for over a decade. Ford et. al. are a little more circumspect. I don't know who Porsche, VW, Ford or BMW's EV suppliers are but they should be able to get within a few percentage points of Tesla's in-house designs.

I think Tesla's major advantage isn't "first mover" as such. It's the "f'k all the rules, push our charging and batt tech well past the point of 'sensible' (as defined by stodgy, old guy think), hack this software, and so what if people can't get out of the car while they get burned alive".

I get the impression his Space-X effort has this same sort of attitude except to their credit there are actual rocket scientists on the payroll and they appear to care about basic math and the laws of physics. The car division could stand to have a few more 'adults' in the room. The solar group, however, is a zero.

Sponsored

BuckeyeBOSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Mustang 545cid, 2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Z/28, 2013 Charger 392
So taking a break from making fun of this vehicle for a minute. A coworker of mine in the next office is a gay Millennial guy, good dude. We have talked about cars enough over the past several years that I know his dream car is a Tesla CUV, but he can't afford one. He's HUGE into environmental stuff, loves electric cars, but drives an old used Smart car that he bought dirt cheap. Before that, he had like a 20 year old Civic. So today I asked him if he saw the "new Mustang CUV", and then I didn't say anything else, I wanted his opinion without my input possibly skewing it. He just said that he "heard something about one", then nothing more. So I was like, it's all electric, just like a Tesla for MUCH less money. He was shocked, he had no idea it was an electric vehicle. He literally said without my input, "Wow, why did they name it a Mustang then"? So I have him look up the Mach-E on his computer and check it out for awhile, pics, specs, etc. I let him digest it and we talk some more. He said he would LOVE one and thinks it'll be loved by many Millennials, but he doesn't think many Millennials can afford one (even at $40k) and even of those can afford it, not sure how many would actually spend that much on any vehicle. He said IF he had the money, he'd love the Mach-E premium for about $50k bc of the range, but he's not placing an order anytime soon. He didn't care about the acceleration estimates at all. Then at the end of the conversation, he said again, "So why did they name it Mustang, I don't get it? That name doesn't mean anything to our generation and will probably turn more of us off to it than on."

So take that little story for what's it worth. As I've said before, I think this is the right vehicle for the current weird market, but the name is not right for it.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
think Tesla's major advantage isn't "first mover" as such. It's the "f'k all the rules, push our charging and batt tech well past the point of 'sensible' (as defined by stodgy, old guy think), hack this software, and so what if people can't get out of the car while they get burned alive".
I mean... Do you have any sources for this info? And background in a technical field such as engineering? (Just curious)

Tesla can do what they do with the hardware they have because of data. They have had electric cars for 8+ years and have the data to know exactly how to treat their batteries and drivetrains, how far to push their electronics, how far to push their charge curves, etc... That and they have no establishment, no traditional thinking holding them back, they can try new and innovative things without having bean counters knock them back to much. Ford doesn't have any of this. None of the established automakers have this, therefore it will be quite difficult for them to catch up. They will do it, but it won't be quick.

Stop reading articles that only support your opinion and start reading all the information available.... You might come to a different conclusion then.

DerekSmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
GT 6MT, Falcon FGX XR6 Ute & Focus ST
This thread begs to ask the question:

Do people have a different way of entering the forums and NOT see threads already listed that are days old containing the similar sentiments and subject matter?

upload_2019-11-21_22-39-38.jpeg

yeah nah, can't be arsed trolling through 80+ pages to see if anyone else has had the same thoughts, you would be one sad mutha to do that LOL

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Or they could do something that isn't FAKE and embrace the hell out of being an EV
it's probably copyrighted. You can record it off your local broadcast and nobody will care. If Ford distributed an unsanctioned and unlicensed sound file, lawyers will show up.
Sponsored