Sponsored

"Mustang Mach E" Confirmed, Reservations Begin Immediately After Nov 17 Live-Streamed Reveal

How will Ford naming it's new electric SUV "Mustang Mach E" impact your future purchase decisions.

• Much more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 49 12.5%
  • Slightly more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • No change

Votes: 219 55.9%
  • Slightly less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 55 14.0%
  • Much less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 63 16.1%

• Total voters

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I am there, and I'm here.
You good with this CUV being named Mustang?
Do I like it, No. Does it matter, No. Do I want it to be a success, Yes. Do I want Ford to succeed and continue making our Mustang, Yes. Is that all that matters, Yes.

EvilMerlin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
201 GT350 - Lead Foot Grey with Black stripes.
Attaching the Mustang name to this crossover thing is a huge slap in the face to owners of the real Mustang. Many of whom have supported the brand for years. It caters to those that want a Mustang but are unwilling to sacrifice a higher driving position and cargo space.
The Mach E is like a hand job, it's not what you really want but you'll take one. The next SUV, CUV or POS that comes out with the Mustang name attached to it should be called the Ford Mustang Hand Job. Or HJ for short.

I will agree with you that more people should buy a Camaro.
It's only a slap in the face to little folks that are butt hurt that Ford us using the Mustang branding to you know... sell cars.

The Mustang Mach-E is not the Mustang, its the Mustang Mach-E. People that don't understand that difference... well not sure what else to say.

Oh and someone better start buying Camaros. They are doing worse now than they were before the 2002 product kill off.

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
It's only a slap in the face to little folks that are butt hurt that Ford us using the Mustang branding to you know... sell cars.

The Mustang Mach-E is not the Mustang, its the Mustang Mach-E. People that don't understand that difference... well not sure what else to say.

Oh and someone better start buying Camaros. They are doing worse now than they were before the 2002 product kill off.
Oh aand my Mustang GT is not a Mustang. It’s a GT........
How stupid do you sound.

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
@EvilMerlin over here calling folks “little people” and butt hurt.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Do I like it, No. Does it matter, No. Do I want it to be a success, Yes. Do I want Ford to succeed and continue making our Mustang, Yes. Is that all that matters, Yes.
What if this 'E' succeeds to the point where Ford decides that 'our Mustang' as a car is no longer needed for providing the image of the Mustang as a brand?

In the 1980's they wanted to take the Mustang in a different direction, too. Sounds like the same song just with a different verse.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
My wife has a 18' Escape. A fun little vehicle. Decent power, comfortable, and really good handling. No, it's certainly not my Mustang but it's good for hauling stuff. You should try one.
I'm afraid that for us, it's over half a foot too tall of a vehicle and the seating appears to be far too chair-like for me. Never mind that automatic transmission is still a deal-breaker all by itself for both of us. Keep in mind that our current family sedan is a WRX.

In the past, I've rented U-Haul trailers when I needed to haul anything I couldn't fit into the car somehow. That would still be an option, or I could just rent some vehicle for the hour/day/weekend and not have to keep paying for the privilege of living with something I really wouldn't care to drive.

Norm

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible

True, but as I've said in this forum and others, sales is not the reason Camaro dropped after 2002. To quote Hamilton (and a recent book title) I was in the room when it happened.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
True, but as I've said in this forum and others, sales is not the reason Camaro dropped after 2002. To quote Hamilton (and a recent book title) I was in the room when it happened.
not going through 1400 posts to find it. Why was it killed?

Sponsored

EvilMerlin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Yes, it was one of the reasons it was dropped. Other reasons? F-body poor sales overall. GM's Canadian plants too busy with building cars that were actual sellers...

EvilMerlin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
What if this 'E' succeeds to the point where Ford decides that 'our Mustang' as a car is no longer needed for providing the image of the Mustang as a brand?

In the 1980's they wanted to take the Mustang in a different direction, too. Sounds like the same song just with a different verse.

Norm
Then it happens. Maybe it does. Maybe it doesn't.

But that's the way business works.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not going through 1400 posts to find it. Why was it killed?
F-Car platform could not be re-engineered to pass the new NHTSA crash requirements or CAFE standards. The only other RWD car platforms in GM at that time were
  • Sigma, which was Cadillac only and expected to be overscribed (STS, CTS, SRX, and a couple vehicles that never launched)
  • Zeta, which was only used in Australia. Eventually GTO was imported from Australia but that would not have worked for Camaro because there was a legal limit on the number of cars GM could import from Australia.
Eventually, the decision was made to duplicate the Zeta module in Canada and build Camaro there (Gen 5, 2010 - 15), but that decision was several years in the making. Was in the room for that one, too.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, it was one of the reasons it was dropped. Other reasons? F-body poor sales overall. GM's Canadian plants too busy with building cars that were actual sellers...
Highlighting that last line for emphasis.
Sponsored