Sponsored

"Mustang Mach E" Confirmed, Reservations Begin Immediately After Nov 17 Live-Streamed Reveal

How will Ford naming it's new electric SUV "Mustang Mach E" impact your future purchase decisions.

• Much more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 49 12.5%
  • Slightly more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • No change

Votes: 219 55.9%
  • Slightly less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 55 14.0%
  • Much less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 63 16.1%

• Total voters

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
To all of you diehard manual fans out there, I feel your pain but.........

upload_2020-2-10_17-6-0.jpeg
Kind of ironic that your quote comes from a source suggesting we live life happy. Last I checked, what makes me happy does not depend on what other people like for themselves, or on what they think I should like.

Norm
Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
The manual transmission's long, harrowing demise continued in 2019. For the first time, the number of electric cars sold new in America was higher than the number of vehicles delivered with three pedals and a clutch disc.

1.1% of Americans who bought a new car last year selected (or settled for) a manual transmission...

That's as far as I read, I didn't settle for shit when I ordered my car with the manual transmission! It's a sports car! I doubt any of that 1.1% settled for the transmission. Mkay, blood pressure reaching normal levels again. Carry on lol.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
That's as far as I read, I didn't settle for shit when I ordered my car with the manual transmission! It's a sports car! I doubt any of that 1.1% settled for the transmission. Mkay, blood pressure reaching normal levels again. Carry on lol.
You settled in 0-60 time against an A10. :giggle:

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
The manual transmission's long, harrowing demise continued in 2019. For the first time, the number of electric cars sold new in America was higher than the number of vehicles delivered with three pedals and a clutch disc.

1.1% of Americans who bought a new car last year selected (or settled for) a manual transmission...

Mustang, Camaro, Corvette, and Miata buyers selected manual transmission.
Hyundai Elantra, Kia Forte, Nissan Versa, and Nissan Sentra buyers settled for manual transmission

Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
You settled in 0-60 time against an A10. :giggle:
Hahah! 0-60 times was actually kind of far down my list.

1. V8 sound
2. road handling/feel similar to my mini
3. looks
4. price per hp
5. 0-60 time

I test drove a fully loaded A10 car and a bone stock manual then placed my order selecting what I wanted. Sales guy (an enthusiast himself) talked me into PP1 and I'm most thankful he did. My overall mustang experience this time around has been the best new car experience I've ever had. LOVE this car! No regerts.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Mustang, Camaro, Corvette, and Miata buyers selected manual transmission.
Hyundai Elantra, Kia Forte, Nissan Versa, and Nissan Sentra buyers settled for manual transmission
For me, transmission is a deal breaker. Not sure how anyone can settle for one they don't want. It's not like there aren't dealers with car lined up everywhere. I like to think your group B of buyers there, while caring less about performance or anything besides getting to where they're going, would still rank the type of transmission fairly important.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Or more like settled for the damn VCT (eg. Subaru) because that's all there is. Discrete ratio autos are also being supplanted.

I drove a 2SS with A10 for 10 days (rental) and promptly bought the M6. Ignoring that the 1LE mandates M6, I was bored silly with the A10. If I want to drive an auto I have a pickup truck for that. Don't get me wrong the Camaro clutch pedal action is rather lousy/picky compared to the Mustang and VW. There might be a spring-change fix to that. I've gotten stuck in 2mph traffic jams and sure it's not fun but I can't be convinced to abandon the manual.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For me, transmission is a deal breaker. Not sure how anyone can settle for one they don't want. It's not like there aren't dealers with car lined up everywhere. I like to think your group B of buyers there, while caring less about performance or anything besides getting to where they're going, would still rank the type of transmission fairly important.
That's the difference between people who drive because they like to drive (me...sounds like you, too) and people who drive because that's the best way to get where they're going (the vast majority of the American driving public).

People in that second group pay $900 - $1,700 to NOT have a manual transmission. Some who buy very basic transportation, like the cars I listed in my last post, often settle for the MT because they can't or aren't willing to pay the additional charge for an AT.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Or more like settled for the damn VCT (eg. Subaru) because that's all there is. Discrete ratio autos are also being supplanted.

I drove a 2SS with A10 for 10 days (rental) and promptly bought the M6. Ignoring that the 1LE mandates M6, I was bored silly with the A10. If I want to drive an auto I have a pickup truck for that. Don't get me wrong the Camaro clutch pedal action is rather lousy/picky compared to the Mustang and VW. There might be a spring-change fix to that. I've gotten stuck in 2mph traffic jams and sure it's not fun but I can't be convinced to abandon the manual.
I prefer MT, but when I bought my car I bought the 8AT because there are several other features that require the AT. Since the AT didn't suffer from a performance standpoint I wasn't too uncomfortable making the tradeoff. Over several years I had the opportunity to drive a lot of different 5th and 6th Gen Camaros, both MT and AT and knew that I would enjoy my driving time with either configuration.

Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
That's the difference between people who drive because they like to drive (me...sounds like you, too) and people who drive because that's the best way to get where they're going (the vast majority of the American driving public).

People in that second group pay $900 - $1,700 to NOT have a manual transmission. Some who buy very basic transportation, like the cars I listed in my last post, often settle for the MT because they can't or aren't willing to pay the additional charge for an AT.
That's a fair point. I guess those super budget buyers also still get the absolute best mpg and cheaper maintenance for getting the manual that they otherwise may not have wanted.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Fixed it. How else do you explain the self-driving / autonomous craze.
OK, I'll give you 'mental' for those who really do want to have an electronic chauffeur (it's not as big of a percentage as you may think - not yet anyway) if you'll give me 'physical' for those who still care enough about driving to do some of it for themselves :wink:

Norm

Last edited:

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
But Karen wants to finally drive a mustang...and I bet she'll drive it like an asshole too.