Sponsored

"Mustang Mach E" Confirmed, Reservations Begin Immediately After Nov 17 Live-Streamed Reveal

How will Ford naming it's new electric SUV "Mustang Mach E" impact your future purchase decisions.

• Much more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 49 12.5%
  • Slightly more likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • No change

Votes: 219 55.9%
  • Slightly less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 55 14.0%
  • Much less likely to purchase a traditional Mustang coupe.

Votes: 63 16.1%

• Total voters

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I was really hoping this thread would die..........:crying:

So, I'm just trying to forget it exists. So please stop posting in this thread :punch:
Move it to the correct forum and it will die. Needs to be in the General Automotive Topics (non 6th Gen Mustang) forum.

Last edited:

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Move it to the correct forum and it will die. Needs to be in the General Automotive Topics (non 6th Gen Mustang) forum.
Well, as the thread was started by Jarstang (site owner) I'll leave it where it is :captain:

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
First thought . . . how many rpms is Enzo spinning at?

Second thought . . . is Ferrari patenting this for their own use or is it mainly for the licensing value?

Third thought . . . I have some grasp of what can be accomplished by torque vectoring. The part that concerns me is that it could be used to crutch the handling behavior of a vehicle whose handling isn't as good as it should be on a strictly mechanical level. Toyota's GX460 of a few years back comes to mind as an example where electronics have already been used to "fix" what should have been solved in the mechanical tuning of its original suspension before it went into regular production. No thanks.

Norm

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
First thought . . . how many rpms is Enzo spinning at?

Second thought . . . is Ferrari patenting this for their own use or is it mainly for the licensing value?

Third thought . . . I have some grasp of what can be accomplished by torque vectoring. The part that concerns me is that it could be used to crutch the handling behavior of a vehicle whose handling isn't as good as it should be on a strictly mechanical level. Toyota's GX460 of a few years back comes to mind as an example where electronics have already been used to "fix" what should have been solved in the mechanical tuning of its original suspension before it went into regular production. No thanks.

Norm

If it works it works????? Shouldn't matter if it's electronics based or mechanical.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
If it works it works????? Shouldn't matter if it's electronics based or mechanical.
Not exactly..

As electronics-heavy as cars are getting, they are still mechanical contrivances at their core, and my point is that the mechanical side needs to be made right first. Only then would you add electronic interventions. Worst case, and utterly wrong philosophically, is that it would be possible to design a car that could have truly evil handling characteristics in the hands of a novice driver (1st gen Corvair, anybody?) that gets reined back into an approximation of acceptability with electronic calibrations that severely limit the performance envelope.

Toyota did not fix the GX's basic handling shortcoming. Instead, they chose to put an electronic band-aid on it and called it done (I'm sure it was much less extensive and expensive to do it that way). Now consider that as soon as a wheel sensor or a yaw sensor or any other source of electronic input takes a dump, it's going to rip that nice electronic handling band-aid right off with it. Now you're right back to why there was a recall in the first place.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX