Sponsored

Mustang Mach 1 UK Dealership Tour

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Less and less 'different cars with character' are being made sub 50k and imo it is only.going one way. Pretty sure my GT is a keeper as the alternatives at the moment are just plain old unattractive
Sponsored

Bullitt66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Less and less 'different cars with character' are being made sub 50k and imo it is only.going one way. Pretty sure my GT is a keeper as the alternatives at the moment are just plain old unattractive
X2 for me. Had mine coming up 3 years and getting itchy feet but there’s not much that stands out like a Mustang.

German premium stuff is very highly competent , but just so dull and for me shows a ‘follow the herd ‘ mentality meaning a lack of imagination :)

I still lust after a Dodge Challenger but cant justify the cost of a hellcat...

To me Mach 1 is a lost cause in UK spec at UK price point, just a marketing opportunity. Such a shame GT350 was never homologated for Europe, but I totally get that it’s niche already within a niche...

At the end of the day Ford (like all businesses) exist solely to make money - which also explains their policy ref exchange rates

Phil_AVF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2198 Grabber Yellow
For me, the Mach 1 is the most advanced factory produced Mustang we are going to ever get in the UK. We were never going to get the GT350 due to legislation and as such all our Mustangs are slightly underpowered compared to the US equivalent, even the GT is underpowered compared to the US car.

However, the Mach 1 is highly spec'd for the UK with everything standard apart from the Recaros and optional wheels. Magneride is standard, B&O sound system and Nav is standard and it has everything the US model gets in terms of GT350 parts such as the coolers, subframes with stiffer bushings, intake manifold, oil & air coolers, Tremec 3160 Manual with rev match and cooler, specially tuned Magneride, GT500 rear diffuser/bumper and diff cooler and lots more. Minus the slight power difference, everything else is the same as the standard 700A US car.

The Handling pack is a spoiler, gurney flap, front splitter and tyres which can be added to the US and UK standard Mach 1. The OEM parts numbers are easy enough to find on this site or there are aftermarket versions for even less.

I've had three S550's so far and after trying to find a GT350 and failing as anything close to the Mach 1 in age and features is at least £79K imported with no warranty, I have a Mach 1 on order and I have no issue with the pricing. Would I like it to be cheaper, yes, but it is what it is and trying to find anything better will cost far, far more. It is not that much more than a fully spec'd Bullitt was and you're getting much more in terms of specific parts than the Bullitt did. Also, I predict the 21 and 22 cars (Mach and GT) will be the last V8's in the UK. If we get the S650, I don't think it'll be a V8 due to the manufacturers fleet CO2 numbers getting tighter every year and the 2030 deadline getting even closer.

This will be my last 'new' Mustang and will probably be my forever car, so it is worth it for me, but I get that if you have a recent GT or Bullitt it might be harder to justify the extra cost to change. With the reduced production year this year, due to Covid and Flat Rock now closed due to chip shortages will mean less of them are built for MY21, so they may live up to the limited-edition tag. I guess time will tell.

I'm certainly going to enjoy the hell out of mine when it gets here in late May/early June.

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
For me, the Mach 1 is the most advanced factory produced Mustang we are going to ever get in the UK. We were never going to get the GT350 due to legislation and as such all our Mustangs are slightly underpowered compared to the US equivalent, even the GT is underpowered compared to the US car.

However, the Mach 1 is highly spec'd for the UK with everything standard apart from the Recaros and optional wheels. Magneride is standard, B&O sound system and Nav is standard and it has everything the US model gets in terms of GT350 parts such as the coolers, subframes with stiffer bushings, intake manifold, oil & air coolers, Tremec 3160 Manual with rev match and cooler, specially tuned Magneride, GT500 rear diffuser/bumper and diff cooler and lots more. Minus the slight power difference, everything else is the same as the standard 700A US car.

The Handling pack is a spoiler, gurney flap, front splitter and tyres which can be added to the US and UK standard Mach 1. The OEM parts numbers are easy enough to find on this site or there are aftermarket versions for even less.

I've had three S550's so far and after trying to find a GT350 and failing as anything close to the Mach 1 in age and features is at least £79K imported with no warranty, I have a Mach 1 on order and I have no issue with the pricing. Would I like it to be cheaper, yes, but it is what it is and trying to find anything better will cost far, far more. It is not that much more than a fully spec'd Bullitt was and you're getting much more in terms of specific parts than the Bullitt did. Also, I predict the 21 and 22 cars (Mach and GT) will be the last V8's in the UK. If we get the S650, I don't think it'll be a V8 due to the manufacturers fleet CO2 numbers getting tighter every year and the 2030 deadline getting even closer.

This will be my last 'new' Mustang and will probably be my forever car, so it is worth it for me, but I get that if you have a recent GT or Bullitt it might be harder to justify the extra cost to change. With the reduced production year this year, due to Covid and Flat Rock now closed due to chip shortages will mean less of them are built for MY21, so they may live up to the limited-edition tag. I guess time will tell.

I'm certainly going to enjoy the hell out of mine when it gets here in late May/early June.
Totally agree. I got my 2020 last January (with magneride), half a year after ordering, but if I knew Mach1 was coming, and how it would be, and at what price ... yeah, I might well have used the extra year and a half to save up the extra money and wait. Considered checking if the dealer here would be interested in offering a decent price for trade in, but think I'll just stick with the Mustang GT and be happy. Hopefully some of the mach1 parts will become available for the Mustang GT too, and I'll be able to pick and choose what I actually need.

Ditto on the GT350. Import one that's reasonably new, the price it's sold for in the USA will factor in the still existing warranty, which is of course worthless here, but worth the extra cost in the USA. So then the choice becomes an older GT350 that's out of warranty in the US anyway, and thus a bit cheaper, or a new Mach1 for around the same price (or less), but with full warranty for many years.

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I just don't see the Mach 1 as a GT350 replacement even less so the UK version. Importing a GT350 I agree would be an expensive and in my opinion not the best use of that sort of money but each to their own and after all it's not.my cash

I'm sure it will be a great car, full of character and better then the GT and I'm not for one minute going to disagree with someone who buys one as I'm sure it will put an almighty smile on ones face👍. Some can justify the price Ford have put on it, others like me can't. Fair enough.

Sponsored

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone know when the Mach 1 will be touring Cheshire dealers? Im tempted to follow it and park my car near the dealers covered in signage pointing out the rust and fords response so that anyone interested in a mach 1 knows what they are in for....

Phil_AVF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2198 Grabber Yellow
I just don't see the Mach 1 as a GT350 replacement even less so the UK version.
It's not. It's a replacement for the Bullitt in the Ford line-up. The Mach 1 has always traditionally been the car between the GT and the Shelby.

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
It's not. It's a replacement for the Bullitt in the Ford line-up. The Mach 1 has always traditionally been the car between the GT and the Shelby.
I totally agree, my comment was in response to previous posters regarding import costs and the Mach 1 being the most advanced Mustang available in the UK which guys I agree with you.

For me if I yearned over a GT350 which to a degree I do, buying the Mach 1 would never fill that yearning, that's all I was saying, I can't see it being near the same experience as the GT350.

Anyway enjoy the Mach 1's, I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures when you get them.

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Seems as though a few knickers may be getting twisted here.

I don't think anyone is saying the Mach1 is a bad car.

And as for VFM, that's too subjective to even bother getting into.

My point is, I'm disappointed with Ford for not selling full-fat/spec equivalent versions of the S550, in the U.K. subject to homologation.

As an example, the twin gauges in the centre of the dash.
Ford deleted those from U.K. GTs.
Other OEMs would have included the twin gauge pack as standard, saving tooling & complexity costs.

And there are other examples of Ford watering down the Mustang product for ROW customers.
And the TG review highlighted another case of this course of action by Ford.

I think that's very poor of Ford.

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
I totally agree, my comment was in response to previous posters regarding import costs and the Mach 1 being the most advanced Mustang available in the UK which guys I agree with you.

For me if I yearned over a GT350 which to a degree I do, buying the Mach 1 would never fill that yearning, that's all I was saying, I can't see it being near the same experience as the GT350.
No, I agree with you. I have a Mustang GT, so I can be envious of the Mach1 owners. If I had a Mach1, I'd be envious of the GT350 owners. ;-) I guess there's always something, though if I had a GT350 I think there would not be much else I'd look at.

Had I enough money, I'd get a GT350. ;-) There's an american here, owning the only GT350 I've ever seen, who's half joking/half serious offered me to trade my Mustang GT + 50,000 EUR for his GT350. Actually, his GT350 is a supercharged (from Sutton in the UK) 2016 GT350R. Financially, no chance of that for me though.

Sponsored

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Does anyone know when the Mach 1 will be touring Cheshire dealers? Im tempted to follow it and park my car near the dealers covered in signage pointing out the rust and fords response so that anyone interested in a mach 1 knows what they are in for....
Why not join the whole tour? See more of your country and enjoy the drive? ;-)

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I am amazed (and pleased) it got the gearbox, but I cant see the logic in scrimping on the diff and diff ratio ? :frown:

Fitting those parts would have made it feel a whole lot more lively than a standard UK GT and / or Bullitt - surely that alone would have won Ford a lot of points with the UK motoring press ?

WD :like:

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I think that's very poor of Ford.
Forgive me for straying slightly off topic here...I'm not sure I agree with that statement. Yes, we are missing a few of the bells & whistles (as well the the GT350/500 models) but I for one am grateful that we got an export model at all and at that, a nicely specced version. We could have got base spec models coming over!

All things considered, I think Ford did a cracking job of exporting for RHD/Euro markets. Not sure I'd be in a Mustang if Ford tried that with the S197.

Of course it's a shame some "nice to haves" are missing, but personally I'm not bothered. This is coming from a guy who came from a 1.6L Fiesta don't forget!

I'm a big fan of the Mach1, and the Bullitt. Would have either any day - if my budget would stretch, which it doesn't lol. I'm very much a fan of the special editions, and the OEM vehicles that don't "need" any mods (not that I wouldn't). Totally understand those that prefer to take a stock GT and make it their own.

Cannot wait to see one in the metal, and on the roads.

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
We could have got base spec models coming over!
Not really, the "base" spec was for the rental market, finance deals and to suit the historical placement of the Mustang in its' home market.

As an automotive design Engineer for over 25 years, it's my opinion Europe is one of, if not the most sophisticated and demanding car markets in the world.
Ford would have known the base model wouldn't get off the ground over here.
I've bench marked U.S. cars when it's been deemed necessary and historically build, fit, finish, etc, has always fallen below what we see from Euro OEMs and the reason for that is the different markets the cars are sold into.

Of course it's a shame some "nice to haves" are missing, but personally I'm not bothered. This is coming from a guy who came from a 1.6L Fiesta don't forget!
So there's the subjectivity I mentioned and fair enough, each to their own.

Cannot wait to see one in the metal, and on the roads.
Aye!
:like:

Bullitt66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I don't think anyone is saying the Mach1 is a bad car.
Totally agree. Every Mustang makes a really great car and Mach1 has a good spec and a lot going for it. Enjoy them!

The Stang is a victim of its own success on these shores. Its kinda losing its blue collar roots when the prices keep growing year on year. I think a GT was £36k when launched back in 2015, Christ Im sounding like my Dad now!

But demand is still strong, so you cannot blame Ford for that. Just don't expect premium service levels - the dealer network is based around Fiesta & Focus - my service experience was woeful - which you shouldn't have tolerate at premium prices
Sponsored