Sponsored

Mustang "Lithium" Battery Electric Prototype Signals Future With 900+ HP / 1000 FT-LBS Torque!

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
That's all fair -- but you don't need to top all the way off to get over 300 miles, and charge rates are not linear throughout a battery's capacity. Three months after I got my GT, I drove from Maryland to Indiana with my daughter and a trunk full of paper boxes full of brass HO-scale locomotives (long story). I made three gas stops (strictly speaking, I could have gotten my with two) -- two of them we ate during, taking at least 30-40 minutes per stop -- just to go something less that 700 miles. I can accept that Texas may not be ready for EV's as they are today, but the gap is small, and getting smaller -- in a couple of years, I suspect that gap will be closed.
Mustang does have a really small gas tank.
Sponsored

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo
I have had people come to me with a messages that said "This site will not be supporting Internet Explorer anymore. Please use Chrome, Edge or Firefox to continue access this this site" and ask me what that means... People still have problems knowing what a web browser is...

I should not have to be still explaining to people that have been using a PC longer than I've had a career that an icon on your desktop means you have an installed application. That the identical Mail icons on your iPhone and iPad both load your mail

I had a friend that wasn't ware people wash their cars. He drove with 2 feet... in an automatic.

I know a person banned in a country for not paying taxes, and finds it "funny" when people file a suit against him, but is all huge fan of China's social credit system.. somehow unaware he'd be blacklisted in such a system.

I watched a person need a 4-5 point turn to back a Fiesta out of a parking space in a parking lot, despite having like 7ft of empty space behind them they were unaware how much space they had and were having trouble backing out where an F150 had no problem at all.

I don't blame the govt, I blame US for allowing stupid people to think it's okay to be totally stupid and oblivious and not shaming them into improving themselves, and holding them accountable to things caused by stupidity. Instead we just pat them on the head and tell them it's okay.

I dont want people to be experts at things, just be competent at the BASICS. Reading, communication, spacial awareness, math, logical reasoning. This isnt even a generational thing. I see the same problems in people older and younger than me.
The patting on the head all started when "nobody lost" in soccer!

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Do you remember the old Nike Olympic commercial “You don’t win silver, you lose gold”? Didn’t like it much back then but I do now.

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
Here's some additional food for thought -- not specific to Mustangs -- just some analysis of EV's in general:

Sponsored

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
Mustang does have a really small gas tank.
My main point is that after being in a car for a couple hundred miles, I like to get out and walk around some anyway, and as the Engineering Explained YouTube video I've shared suggests, you can charge up an EV's lower portion of battery in about as much time as I'd stop for lunch or dinner anyway -- heck -- I like to get out after about a hundred, depending on whether I've been able to use cruise control. For me -- and I suspect others -- an EV may be more doable than previously believed.

Last edited:

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
That's all fair -- but you don't need to top all the way off to get over 300 miles, and charge rates are not linear throughout a battery's capacity. Three months after I got my GT, I drove from Maryland to Indiana with my daughter and a trunk full of paper boxes full of brass HO-scale locomotives (long story). I made three gas stops (strictly speaking, I could have gotten by with two) -- two of them we ate during, taking at least 30-40 minutes per stop -- just to go something less that 700 miles. I can accept that Texas may not be ready for EV's as they are today, but the gap is small, and getting smaller -- in a couple of years, I suspect that gap will be closed.
I want to hear more about the brass locomotives.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
My main point is that after being in a car for a couple hundred miles, I like to get out and walk around some anyway, and as the Engineering Explained YouTube video I've shares suggests, you can charge up an EV's lower portion of battery in about as much time as I'd stop for lunch or dinner anyway -- heck -- I like to get out after about a hundred, depending on whether I've been able to use cruise control. For me -- and I suspect others -- an EV may be more doable than previously believed.
Two things of interest in this last video.
1. Buy a car with a battery sized for your needs. No need to buy a 100kw battery when all you need is a 50kw. Kind of like home air conditioning. Bigger isn't always better.
2. Using a 3Klb car to transport a 150lb object is not the best for emissions. Thought this was funny. We should all be riding bicycles.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Two things of interest in this last video.
1. Buy a car with a battery sized for your needs. No need to buy a 100kw battery when all you need is a 50kw. Kind of like home air conditioning. Bigger isn't always better.
2. Using a 3Klb car to transport a 150lb object is not the best for emissions. Thought this was funny. We should all be riding bicycles.
If you ride bicycles around here people think your a meth head

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
My main point is that after being in a car for a couple hundred miles, I like to get out and walk around some anyway, and as the Engineering Explained YouTube video I've shares suggests, you can charge up an EV's lower portion of battery in about as much time as I'd stop for lunch or dinner anyway -- heck -- I like to get out after about a hundred, depending on whether I've been able to use cruise control. For me -- and I suspect others -- an EV may be more doable than previously believed.
... and see, when we go down to The Keys, we don't want to stop and eat (especially some craptacular FF), we plow through ~400 miles, don't have to stop for gas, hit up rest stops for on demand pee breaks, and get to where we're going :)

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
I want to hear more about the brass locomotives.
Ha ha! Okay -- well, my father was an avid train fanatic -- he was for his entire life -- he was in the train club at Purdue University when he was finishing his masters degree there, and made a life-long friendship with a man named Jack Hawkins - principle of Hawkins Rail Services in Lafayette IN -- a model train pusher of sorts. Most of the basement of my dads house was taken up by a Marklin layout, but he had all sorts of regular locomotives and cars of every common model scale: HO, Z, etc. By the time I was a teen, his focus shifted to live steam models, and a layout that took up his back yard. More than anything, he wanted his massive, and carefully curated collection to go to folks who would most enjoy it when he died -- so I was tasked to bring 13 paper boxes of his brass HO locomotives back to the shop where he'd mostly bought them in the first place -- it made me a bit tail-heavy, but we got there. I stopped in Jackson County where my mom still lives first (John Melloncamp territory near Kentucky) before making the delivery. I'm not sure how to tie this in with the topic -- other than to say my engine was still breaking in, and the added weight likely didn't help with my gas mileage. I was happy to see them get redistributed -- I never really understood the whole train thing: I've always been about airplanes and cars.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here's some additional food for thought -- not specific to Mustangs -- just some analysis of EV's in general:

So basically ICE and EV put out very similar amounts of emissions with EV's really not being that much less.

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
... and see, when we go down to The Keys, we don't want to stop and eat (especially some craptacular FF), we plow through ~400 miles, don't have to stop for gas, hit up rest stops for on demand pee breaks, and get to where we're going :)
You can go 400 miles in your Mustang? Ecoboost? There's no friggin' way my GT will do more than around 340 before running bone dry!

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
OK, we get it. You travel down to one of the most beautiful places in the world and have a great time doing it. :)
Sponsored