Sponsored

Mustang "Lithium" Battery Electric Prototype Signals Future With 900+ HP / 1000 FT-LBS Torque!

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6
Why are we getting electric crap? Can't we focus on flying cars. Man Back to the Future was way off.
Sponsored

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
germany.png

Bad comparison.
Not sure I made a comparison - I’m illustrating that there are many ways to generate electricity, that it’s ubiquitous - in my experience, they even have electricity in Texas... I’m not sure about the relevance of your overlay - it seems like what Germany is doing might work better in Texas. Is there any handy data about Australia?

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
it does not make any economic sense to recycle the batteries. Batteries contain only a small fraction of lithium carbonate as a percent of weight and are inexpensive compared to cobalt or nickel. The average lithium cost associated with Li-ion battery production is less than 3% of the production cost. Intrinsic value for the Li-ion recycling business currently comes from the valuable metals such as cobalt and nickel that are more highly priced than lithium. Due to less demand for lithium and low prices, almost none of the lithium used in consumer batteries is completely recycled.

While lithion is 100% recyclable, currently economics do not add up to recycle it

Recycled lithium is as much as five times the cost of lithium produced from the least costly brine based process. It is not competitive for recycling companies to extract lithium from slag, or competitive for the OEMs to buy at higher price points from recycling companies.
Not recycling Lithium batteries is going to become a major ecological disaster. If you don't recycle them then they have to be buried in special pits eventually your going to run out of room. These batteries need dealt with now or electric cars will be the cause of one of the worst ecological disasters in history.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
Not sure I made a comparison - I’m illustrating that there are many ways to generate electricity, that it’s ubiquitous - in my experience, they even have electricity in Texas... I’m not sure about the relevance of your overlay - it seems like what Germany is doing might work better in Texas. Is there any handy data about Australia?
It was about range. For Germany that is is size of a mid-sized state (Indiana) a 300 mile range for a day might be all they need, and recharging can happen while at a destination (not mid-trip). Even in New South Wales (the size of Texas) the population is not spread all over the map.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
I see the Mustang being a hybrid with the ecoboost before a true EV, but you never know. Although there isn't much free space to place a battery pack with the hardware required to make an ICE work (gas tank taking up a fair amount of space).
I see the S550 living on in modified form for hybrids (V8 and EB4) while an entirely new chassis (maybe same platform as the EV SUV) will be used for an EV mustang. That way you can have a tuned chassis for each architecture (since an ICE platform does NOT make a good EV platform).

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Also to those wondering.... Tesla was one of the first to market with a mass produced EV and as such uses their own charging adapter. The industry seems to have settled on CCS adapters as the standard for vehicle charging moving forward. CCS 2 is used in Europe (Porsche Taycan) and Tesla has converted their vehicles and chargers in the area over to CCS2 to comply with the standard. CCS 1 is going to be used in North America (chevy bolt, Mach E, etc...). I doubt it will be long before Tesla starts converting their chargers over to CCS 1 here which should allow compatibility with all EVs moving forward. Current charging tech is limited by battery chemistry rather then power delivery. You see chargers listed as "250kw" chargers which means that the charger can deliver 250kw to the vehicle. The vehicle however can only accept that charge rate for a short period of time before needing to throttle power delivery to protect the battery. Once/if they figure out how to make a battery that is not as sensitive to thermals then charging times can dramatically decrease with current chargers (250kw charge rate over the duration of the charge instead of just a few minutes). That would likely take a full charge from the current 30-50 minutes to under 10 minutes most likely.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Check out the video we put of Bill talking with Josh from Webasto about the Mustang Lithium! Including footage of the interior!

Mustang Lithium
Not much of a fan of EV cars in general, but the wheels and carbon fiber trim on that Mustang look b-e-a-utiful! Love it!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
That would likely take a full charge from the current 30-50 minutes to under 10 minutes most likely.
10 minutes is still way too long to think of an EV as a real competitor to an ICE vehicle. And it's only a hope/dream that charging time will be that short.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
10 minutes is still way too long to think of an EV as a real competitor to an ICE vehicle. And it's only a hope/dream that charging time will be that short.
The only real way a EV can compete with a ICE car is if it has the same range and having that ranger at ICE car prices.
Sponsored