Sponsored

Mustang "Lithium" Battery Electric Prototype Signals Future With 900+ HP / 1000 FT-LBS Torque!

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
I just find it ironic that its the "boomers" that bitch about participation awards, yet it all started with millennial's getting them... so who was giving those awards out? Yup. Boomers/oldest of the Gen X. Don't blame kids for the idiot stuff their parents do. Millennials were not handing out participation awards to themselves when the oldest of them were age 10.
Dead nuts on the money. My parents expected participation and only the winners went home with anything that resembled a trophy...its funny how my generation then blew it as parents trying to worry about their kids liking them....I don't remember my mom and dad worrying all that much about me liking them and I turned out okay. I either win or lose at something, its just the way we were brought up. And the winners were expected to be gracious winners too, which as kids was pretty hard to do....but if anyone refused that, most of my generation had father's who'd set em straight off to the side. My dad called those "tune ups".
Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I just find it ironic that its the "boomers" that bitch about participation awards, yet it all started with millennial's getting them... so who was giving those awards out? Yup. Boomers/oldest of the Gen X. Don't blame kids for the idiot stuff their parents do. Millennials were not handing out participation awards to themselves when the oldest of them were age 10.
I'm not for participation award there are schools now that don't have awards for honor students because they don't want to hurt the feels of the who aren't as smart or don't care if they do good in school or not.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This is a major stumbling block for me, I don't want to have to redirect, alter my route, accommodate the "refueling" mechanism, I want to __be__ convenienced with stations every 2-3 miles, sub 10-minute full ups, no concern over availability, etc.

A buddy of mine constantly tries to convince me how he makes great use of the time when he has to stop for 30 minutes, just trying to drive to Atlanta. We drive the about the same distance, in the opposite direction to our place in The Keys, 6 people, 6 rollers, two huge tubs of dive gear and a cooler on a hitch carrier ... no stops (outside of emergency pee breaks :D), in fact, we wheel in with just under a 1/4 tank of gas.

A friend (actually, I'd say he's been downgraded to more of an acquaintance ...) posted to FB (I'm not on it, but my wife saw it and shared), had this situation where he stayed a small, but nice, branded hotel in a touristy southern city, Tesla owner, all the chargers were filled, couldn't find a place to easily deal with this, so he had to Uber out to the local airport, leave his car on a charger, pay for parking (and then of course deal with the car pickup logistics at departure).

Heck, there's a house we've stayed at a few times in Savannah, no idea how you would charge an EV, parking is in the street, one time I had to park on the opposite side, I'm sure running a 50' extension cord across the street would not have been prudent :D
That's why if I get a EV it's going to be fore local only around 150 miles more or less. For the long trips going to use my gas powered car there are gas stations everywhere.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
that's a cha cha cha chia though. I can tell your age now, definitely under 40 if you don't know that old jingle. LOL
I'm 59 and know that jingle well

Sponsored

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
I see the Mustang being a hybrid with the ecoboost before a true EV, but you never know. Although there isn't much free space to place a battery pack with the hardware required to make an ICE work (gas tank taking up a fair amount of space).

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm surprised how high they mounted the front battery pack. I would have put it as low as it could go.

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
Places like Germany and Australia are doing pretty darned well with renewable energy - and it’s still in its infancy.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Places like Germany ... are doing pretty darned well with renewable energy
And yet they are quite eager to get NordStream2 up and running so they can pipe in that evil Russion natgas...

The current generation mix in far-north Germany is indeed surprising. I guess they've manged to put the windmills next to the gov't buildings to harness all that otherwise useless hot air...
https://www.energy-charts.de/power_inst.htm

This is an interesting look.
https://www.energy-charts.de/power.htm

The amount coming from renewables.
https://www.energy-charts.de/ren_share.htm?year=all&source=ren-share&period=monthly

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
Yikes! No. Horses were never banned from highways. City streets started putting unreasonable restrictions on their waste disposal, but that was more for disease concerns. Hell, New York still uses them extensively in law enforcement.

Horses also continue to be the best equipment for large livestock operations. Horses are much more agile than any wheeled vehicle. They are definitely not just for recreation.

...and amazingly enough, when one horse gets worn out you don't try to recharge it and continue... you use another while the first one rests.
haha, well, try riding a horse in downtown Atlanta or on I-85 if you aren't a policeman. Large livestock operations are really a niche in the broader scheme of personal transportation. The Amish seem to do OK with horses, but they are never in a hurry ;)

Elvis66

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT ..2014 Camaro ..72 Chevelle ..67 LeMans..97 4runner..2001 tundra
I'm not for participation award there are schools now that don't have awards for honor students because they don't want to hurt the feels of the who aren't as smart or don't care if they do good in school or not.
That's fucked up !! Wares the appreciation...talk about killing the motivation of the young .

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
it does not make any economic sense to recycle the batteries. Batteries contain only a small fraction of lithium carbonate as a percent of weight and are inexpensive compared to cobalt or nickel. The average lithium cost associated with Li-ion battery production is less than 3% of the production cost. Intrinsic value for the Li-ion recycling business currently comes from the valuable metals such as cobalt and nickel that are more highly priced than lithium. Due to less demand for lithium and low prices, almost none of the lithium used in consumer batteries is completely recycled.

While lithion is 100% recyclable, currently economics do not add up to recycle it

Recycled lithium is as much as five times the cost of lithium produced from the least costly brine based process. It is not competitive for recycling companies to extract lithium from slag, or competitive for the OEMs to buy at higher price points from recycling companies.
You reckon that’s due to cheap Chinese labor? I expect all of these things can and will change some. Tesla is rumored to be coming out with a “million mile” battery within a couple of years. I’d like to see some studies on the projected impact of electrification - thankfully there are so many ways to generate electricity.
Sponsored